Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Something something reverse the polarity something something tachyons something subspace field.

Really, that nobody even attempts to explain is one of the more telling signs that they didn't think this one out even though it's plot-critical to Picard.  :lol:

It definitely doesn't give one any hope for the writing in season two.

The Romulans were stockpiling explodium and it go ker-bluey.

Wait!  Maybe it was the nightmares of a kelpian child that sent temporal ripples through the tachyon field which destabilized the Star at a quantum level accelerating its destabilization. Since this originated nearly a thousand years in the future the nature of Tachyons and their interactions with the temporal field dynamics caused the destabilization to increase exponentially. 

This way it can circle back to ONE ship...ONE crew....

Spoiler

One tear...

1C2F1775-ECE2-4C08-864C-5495D70D89E1.thumb.jpeg.1565236152eaa2a90d77bc59e5583c11.jpeg

Edited by Dobber

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

This way it can circle back to ONE ship...ONE crew....

I was hugely disappointed to hear they were pushing forward with a fourth season of Discovery.  3rd season was dumb, dumb, dumb, but at least it wrapped everything up in a neat little bow.  I have no interest in seeing more.

I was even more dismayed to hear they're going to do more Star Trek: Picard.  That's a dumpster fire with a much more noxious odor.  I couldn't care less whether John DeLancie, Whoopi Goldberg, or William Shatner himself was involved.  I won't be watching.

But hey, if they were to slingshot Discovery back to the turn of the 25th century, I'd happily watch a season of Burnham vs. Picard. :db:

1 hour ago, tekering said:

But hey, if they were to slingshot Discovery back to the turn of the 25th century, I'd happily watch a season of Burnham vs. Picard. :db:

No can do... Alien vs. Predator already trademarked the best tagline:

"Whoever wins, we lose."

Yeah, it was just a Big 'Splosion! Which, really, was descriptive enough, as the reason for that was not essential to  the plot. It was merely the kick-off to everything else. 

As to S3 of Disco, I was so disappointed in that! I came in on S2, with Pike and the Enterprise, with a basically good story line, but they just crapped all over themselves with S3. Such a great mystery, with far-ranging consequences - but such an incredibly stupid resolution.

4 hours ago, Dynaman said:

To be fair, nobody explained the Klingon explosion well either and it was the second best Trek movie ever.

It was a mining accident, if I recall. Which explains why no one saw it coming.

The romulans were taken by surprise by something that gives folks thousands of years of advance notice. An explanation for the surprise is warranted.

12 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Fittingly, given that it was a stand-in for the Chernobyl disaster, an accident caused by unsafe operating conditions and insufficient safety measures.

12 minutes ago, JB0 said:

The romulans were taken by surprise by something that gives folks thousands of years of advance notice. An explanation for the surprise is warranted.

Millions, usually... but something that normally happens on a geological timescale somehow caught the Romulans completely by surprise without, at any point, being indicated to be in any way unnatural.

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

I was talking more about the wonky (at best) physics of it.  There is no reasonable (or even technobabble) way a blast felt light years away (nearly instantly) would not obliterate anything within the origin star system.  We (I) give that a pass since it was a good movie otherwise but don't do the same for the equally wonky star exploding problem for Romulus.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Millions, usually... but something that normally happens on a geological timescale somehow caught the Romulans completely by surprise without, at any point, being indicated to be in any way unnatural.

Volcanos, granted we didn't have millions of years but Mount Saint Helens was known well in advance and we see what happened there.  Millions is a problem too - sure it will happen in a million years, but is that thousands of years from now or tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

Volcanos, granted we didn't have millions of years but Mount Saint Helens was known well in advance and we see what happened there.  Millions is a problem too - sure it will happen in a million years, but is that thousands of years from now or tomorrow.  

Yeah, but that's the difference between having days of advance warning vs. thousands or millions of years.

A supernova's not something that sneaks up on you unannounced.  Stars give a LOT of advance warning when they're about to blow even with today's technology.  With the far more advanced technology of the 24th century, having a supernova detonation sneak up on you means someone (or in this case an entire interstellar civilization of billions and billions of someones) were asleep at the switch for literal centuries.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, but that's the difference between having days of advance warning vs. thousands or millions of years.

A supernova's not something that sneaks up on you unannounced.  Stars give a LOT of advance warning when they're about to blow even with today's technology.  With the far more advanced technology of the 24th century, having a supernova detonation sneak up on you means someone (or in this case an entire interstellar civilization of billions and billions of someones) were asleep at the switch for literal centuries.

Pardon the tongue-in-cheek example, but it reminds me of this part in Austin Powers:

The steamroller would be the star and the civilization in question would be the guard who doesn't move in time, even though the steamroller is taking nearly  forever  to get to him.

With that said, the civilization just sitting there while the star is giving off warnings is very much the same: it;'s their own blasted fault.

Edited by pengbuzz

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:33 PM, sh9000 said:

Even more so than last season, this feels like they're trying very hard to sell this on the basis of nostalgia... 

... and didn't we do pretty much this exact plot back in "All Good Things"?

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 10:11 PM, kalvasflam said:

He-man rocked…. We need more Dolph…

heheh…. So, Picard is going back in time to make sure everything is woke, and people know how horrible and unjust they are?   Haha…. At least that’s a fantasy that’s aligned with Woke Picard.

Well...now we know how 2020 and 2021 happened! lol

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2021 at 1:13 AM, sh9000 said:

Well, that's a big steaming pile of Do Not Want.

I've heard CBS is having trouble finding funding for Star Trek again... hopefully they'll start changing ears instead of flying her into the ground.