Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

19 hours ago, Dynaman said:

That is an ugly starship.

Given the premise of the show, that's probably intentional - the U.S.S. Cerritos is a second-line ship performing follow-up tasks, not a glamorous explorer-type like the Galaxy class (or thrust into an explorer role, like the Intrepid-class U.S.S. Voyager). But there are also clues that this poster image is unrepresentative of the final product: It's missing some prominent features for the design-era (formation beacons, RCS clusters on the rim, the ship's dang registration number -- no reason to omit those from a cel-shaded CG model) and it's got others that look like mistakes (the flat ventral surface of the saucer, the four indented arcs in exactly the spots you'd expect outdented phaser strips).

The pod with the navigational deflector dish is oddly placed, yes (it's a secondary hull, but I wouldn't call it an engineering hull -- the key impulse and warp components are presumably in the saucer), but access isn't insurmountable: long turboshafts along the warp nacelles, or transporter hard-links, or a maintenance shuttlepod. Given the rear-echelon role (of the entire class?), "convenient access during all circumstances, including at-warp and during combat" could've been a low priority in the design.

Edited by Lexomatic

USS Cerritos?  It feels like tempting fate to name the ship after the suburban LA hometown of the guy who founded the Golden Raspberry Awards.

I actually feel a little embarrassed on behalf of the people who made that.  Lower Decks is trying so goddamn hard to be Rick and Morty: Star Trek Edition... and that's kind of pathetic, in a LOT of different ways.  

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

USS Cerritos?  It feels like tempting fate to name the ship after the suburban LA hometown of the guy who founded the Golden Raspberry Awards.

I actually feel a little embarrassed on behalf of the people who made that.  Lower Decks is trying so ***damn hard to be Rick and Morty: Star Trek Edition... and that's kind of pathetic, in a LOT of different ways.  

Well, there's two minutes and fifteen seconds of my life that I won't get back...

No wonder Starfleet didn't send anyone to help the Romulans when their world detonated;  a crew like that would only have made things worse.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

At least they're being honest about their recent work?

57 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Ok, starship names are supposed to conjure up images of.. well, certain things, or bring to mind famous figures, battles, locations..

This one?  Sounds like a cheap promotional combo meal from Taco Bell.

This is isn't your daddy's star trek universe.  Come to think of it, it's no longer mine either...

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Ok, starship names are supposed to conjure up images of.. well, certain things, or bring to mind famous figures, battles, locations..

This one?  Sounds like a cheap promotional combo meal from Taco Bell.

Mommy, when I grow up, can I command a starship called the USS Doritos??? :rofl:

Doritos-Limited-Edition-Retro-Nacho-Cheese-Tortilla-Chips.jpg

Hmm. Given the relative volume of discussion for LOW vs PIC, isn't it time for this show to get its own thread?

As I speculated, the promotional poster a week ago did not depict the ship in all its detail. OTOH, we now can see hull-features that exist but in the wrong places.

• The ship's name and registration are on the dorsal aft arc of the saucer (0:07, 0:09), not forward. None of the clips are angled to reveal if there's a registration on the ventral surface.
  • There are red and green lights on the saucer (0:13, 0:25) and nacelles (0:25, 1:35), but they're not in positions to make them useful formation lights.
  • There are no visible shuttlebay doors on the aft rim of the saucer (0:12), although the MSD cutaway (1:02) shows a shuttlebay.
  • There are still no RCS clusters (at 0:12 there's a yellow stripe wrapping around the rim, but that's decorative).
  • There are cutouts in both the saucer-nacelle pylons (0:12, 1:32, 1:35) and nacelle-deflector pylons (0:28, 1:35).

Following TAS's precedent of "aliens are easier in animation": Andorian (0:27, 1:53), Bajoran (0:57), Bolian (1:46), Caitian (0:30, 1:08), , green girl (Orion/Rigellian?) (0:27, 0:29, 1:00, etc.), alien Hulk (1:09), purple head-fin webbed-finger fish-people (1:33), olive-green slit-nostril tusk-people (1:46), spotted purple trumpet-eared pig-person (1:50), Vulcan (1:53)

0:32 - That's ... really not how the major blood vessels to the heart are arranged. Must be a non-human humanoid with convenient spare vasculature. :)

0:44 - Klingon facility with blue daytime skies, yay!

0:55 - I suppose Borg combat is a reasonable part of ongoing physical certifications. Is that a dedicated training compartment with android training dummies, or a holodeck sim of a training compartment?

13 hours ago, myk said:

This is isn't your daddy's star trek universe.  Come to think of it, it's no longer mine either...

I'm not sure whose it is, really... since CBS All Access had to fudge its subscriber numbers to make it seem like people actually wanted to watch Picard and Discovery, and both Netflix and Amazon Prime were unhappy with new Star Trek's performance on their respective streaming services.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm not sure whose it is, really... since CBS All Access had to fudge its subscriber numbers to make it seem like people actually wanted to watch Picard and Discovery, and both Netflix and Amazon Prime were unhappy with new Star Trek's performance on their respective streaming services.

While I don’t hate Discovery but do really dislike Picard, both the show and now the character (thank you so much CBS and Patrick Stewart for ruining a great character) I do objectively wonder if low numbers are more due to people not wanting to pay for a CBS streaming service.  It wasn’t free on Amazon Prime here in the U.S. it was still a pay for add on even with prime. I certainly don’t want to pay for ANOTHER streaming service, particularly a CBS one.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I do objectively wonder if low numbers are more due to people not wanting to pay for a CBS streaming service.

I think piracy may be the biggest issue.  Most Star Trek fans are tech-savvy enough to, say, .torrent shows they don't want to pay for...

I suspect the number of paid subscribers is just a tiny margin of the actual number of viewers.

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

[...] I do objectively wonder if low numbers are more due to people not wanting to pay for a CBS streaming service.  It wasn’t free on Amazon Prime here in the U.S. it was still a pay for add on even with prime. I certainly don’t want to pay for ANOTHER streaming service, particularly a CBS one.

To be frank, I don't think that's the problem.

The CBS All Access paywall only exists for customers in the US... and while CBS has been caught manipulating the numbers to make it appear that it has far more subscribers than it does for the benefit of CBS shareholders, the low viewership of Star Trek: Picard and Star Trek: Discovery is a global problem affecting two much more established streaming services that carry those shows outside the US: Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Everyone knows a Trek fan will re-route power from the Secondary EPS Manifold to bypass the subspace interference, and use a thermocoupler to enhance the signal, and then use the additional subspace bandwidth from the main deflector array to enhance the noise reduction function not readily available in a Level 4 diagnostic. :p

Non-techno-babble explanation:  a Trek fan will just borrow the password of a friend or family member.

3 hours ago, Lexomatic said:

Hmm. Given the relative volume of discussion for LOW vs PIC, isn't it time for this show to get its own thread?

Or just rename this one to CBS All Star Trek (and friends) since conversation will wax and wan with each show having new episodes.

21 minutes ago, Mog said:

Non-techno-babble explanation:  a Trek fan will just borrow the password of a friend or family member.

Who's buying a CBS All Access subscription for something other than Star Trek?  

Their catalog of exclusives reads like a suicide note... so much so that ViacomCBS is planning to merge it with another streaming platform in the near future.

9 minutes ago, Focslain said:

any hints as to which one?

Based on what's been said by ViacomCBS reps, they're planning to merge CBS's CBS All Access with Viacom's PlutoTV and several other token or as-of-yet unrealized streaming service plans for Nickelodeon, BET, MTV, and Comedy Central to create a single unified ViacomCBS streaming service that can more readily compete with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.  No word on what they plan to call it or when they plan to actually do it, but they've been talking about it since February.

Just now, Seto Kaiba said:

Based on what's been said by ViacomCBS reps, they're planning to merge CBS's CBS All Access with Viacom's PlutoTV and several other token or as-of-yet unrealized streaming service plans for Nickelodeon, BET, MTV, and Comedy Central to create a single unified ViacomCBS streaming service that can more readily compete with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.  No word on what they plan to call it or when they plan to actually do it, but they've been talking about it since February.

Might be nice, having them all in one place might make me (or a friend) grab it.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:05 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

What a great idea! I wonder where they got the idea to have multiple networks providing content under one service that people can pay to have access too? :rolleyes: :fool:

Edited by Dobber

Good job on that warp-in clip, but you can't help but say that a bunch of relics like those ships would get obliterated by the new era romulan ships.  And, if you're going to put in antique vessels, where's the galaxy class?  Unless I just didn't see it...

I wouldn't call those relics. ;) As we've seen, Starfleet has a history of holding onto designs and updating their core systems. And even then, the Sovereigns and the Defiants are still pretty 'young' ships. But at the end of the day, there is far more style in those ships than the ones they hardly put any effort into. These are the ships that I wanted to see.

As for 'antique vessels,' there are two Nebula class near the front of the formation.

Edited by Thom

6 hours ago, sh9000 said:

That is such a little thing and yet makes such a huge improvement...

1 hour ago, myk said:

Good job on that warp-in clip, but you can't help but say that a bunch of relics like those ships would get obliterated by the new era romulan ships.  And, if you're going to put in antique vessels, where's the galaxy class?  Unless I just didn't see it...

Relics?  My good chap, the oldest starship class in this shot hasn't even been in Starfleet service for forty years at the time of Star Trek: Picard's events in 2399.

The Nebula-class ships spotted at the back of the formation are from the early 2360s, making the class around 37 years old given the oldest vessel of class's commission date.  The Runabouts in the foreground are either the Danube-class that entered service in 2368 (31yo) or Yellowstone-class from a decade later (~21yo).  The IntrepidSovereign, and Akira-class ships seen in this shot are less than thirty years old since their respective classes entered service in the early 2370s.

Even the Galaxy-class would only be pushing forty at that point in time... the Enterprise-D would've been 37.

Compare that to the service lives of previous mainstay Starfleet ship classes like the Saratoga or Excelsior, that were still pulling their weight a century and a half after being introduced.

Edited by Seto Kaiba