Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

57 minutes ago, hachi said:

I've been reading comics-related sites/blogs and the same dilemma is there. The older fans (and not-so-old but anti-SJW) are complaining. But I think part of it is the failure of execution of their ideas, and that the big 2 companies (Marvel and DC) are greedy. However outside of the traditional comic shops the comics for kids are thriving and the companies (and authors) who locked on to this much younger demographic are making $$$. On this end of acquiring more fans the Star Trek license owners might not be doing a very good job. I just hope they learn their lesson regarding JJ Trek and the prequels. (Though I guess the major holdup for the movie sequel was the actors salaries? And I don't like the idea of Tarantino making a Trek movie.) In this context, you gotta admire the Gundam franchise. Even though I am not a hardcore fan, Bandai are able to make me open my wallet even for shows I don't even finish. :lol:

Regarding vocal fans on opposite ends, this is why I don't usually join online debates, the whole thing is just tiring.

Which comics are “for kids?”

On 1/29/2020 at 8:38 PM, Mommar said:

Which comics are “for kids?”

I'm talking about the stuff that Telgemeier, Pilkey et al do? They sell a lot. I'm just providing an example of targeting a young demographic. Now the comics that Marvel and DC do, especially the floppies, a lot are geared towards collectors, which a lot could be adults. Now I could be over-generalizing, and not taking into account toys and other related merchandise.

Two episodes in, and already Picard is being outshined by his Romulan maid, Laris.  She has to shoulder the bulk of the exposition, but Orla Brady performs her with such conviction and dignity that Laris has quickly become the most compelling character.  I'm really hoping she doesn't get left behind on Earth.  #TeamLaris

*sigh* Barely halfway into Star Trek: Picard's second episode and from the sound of it they're ALREADY setting up Patrick Stewart's exit from the series.

Spoiler

It's doubling as a continuity nod, a reference to how future Ambassador Picard from "All Good Things" was diagnosed with a fatal neurological condition called Irumodic syndrome.  The doctor doesn't actually name it (yet), but it's really very obvious that's the direction they're leaning.  Did we mention it's untreatable and fatal and Picard is ALREADY showing symptoms?

Can't say I blame them for setting up Patrick Stewart's exit though... this version of Jean-Luc Picard is so weak, so defeated, so lacking in integrity, and so bloody hypocritical that Patrick Stewart isn't likely to remain a draw for very long.  I suspect he was also much more expensive than the production could reliably afford, so they'll phase him out and name a ship after his character if this mess actually gets a season two.

I'm vaguely bothered by how poorly tailored the new Starfleet uniforms look on the extras in this episode.

Spoiler

... and there it is, folks.  I really, avidly dislike this disgustingly bleak and hopeless future that Kurtzman and Chabon have made the 23rd and 24th centuries into.  This episode opens with the reveal that the synthetics who destroyed Utopia Planitia weren't outsiders to the facility, they were essentially an android slave labor force working at the shipyards.  The crews that worked in the shipyards alongside them treat them with naked contempt and overt racism, despite them clearly being intelligent (not as much as Data was, but intelligent nonetheless).

The Commander-in-Chief of Starfleet casually drops an F-bomb while chewing Picard out for wanting to be reinstated into the service, then berates Picard for what he said about his reasons for leaving Starfleet, THEN starts insulting him personally and throws him out.  She even reiterates the same sentiments the reporter in the previous episode did... that Romulan lives aren't worth the same as human lives, and doubles down on it by insisting the Federation has an absolute right to decide that some species should go extinct.  Everything about this is horrible and wrong.  This is NOT Star Trek.  

(Also, somehow just 14 species of the over 150 who belong to the Federation were enough to somehow stonewall any and all efforts to help the Romulans?  Just 14?)

Really, it says an AWFUL LOT about this show that the two former Tal Shiar agents - professional spies, saboteurs, and killers - who live in Picard's home as his caretakers are hands down the nicest people in this show by an enormous margin.  The next-closest is Picard's family doctor who tries to keep him from going out into space, and then the non-sentient AI index from the Starfleet Archives.

So far, the best moment in this episode has been the quietly snarky Romulan safety supervisor aboard the salvaged Borg cube.  He dispenses a lot of quiet snark while giving his very boring sounding safety briefing that Dahj's sister talks over.  It's a shame that she doesn't realize this nameless background character is far more interesting than she will ever be.

Romulan Science Guy, whose name I have already forgotten because he is boring cliche, seems to be trying really hard to channel Spock from Star Trek: Discovery season two.  BIG mistake.  

Spoiler

So... the Borg cube the Romulans have repurposed as a space station is apparently one big tech salvage project, and while it was disconnected from the Borg Collective it's apparently still a dangerous-enough place for them to have some rather black humor in their signage like a sign in the gathering area advising the number of days since someone was assimilated there.

The Romulans running this reclamation outfit are apparently either kind enough or curious enough about Borg implants to put the effort into removing implants from former drones... who are apparently still alive.

There is literally a moment in this episode where Patrick Stewart is basically explaining to his Romulan housekeeper that the show can't afford to bring back the TNG cast for more than cameos.

Spoiler

From the sound of it, Starfleet Intelligence is apparently in bed with the secret agency-within-an-agency Zhat Vash, which is apparently pulling the Tal Shiar's strings to persecute and destroy artificial intelligences... yay... to the point of apparently knowingly allowing undercover Zhat Vash operatives into Starfleet Intelligence and covering up evidence of their operations on Earth.

This whole apparent plot thread about the Romulans being so deathly afraid of AIs that they maintain an even-more-secret-than-the-Tal-Shiar police force specifically to destroy them doesn't really make sense.  They're supposedly deathly afraid of AIs and advanced computers, but that doesn't make sense given how many tools they use on a daily basis that really have to be AI-based to work at all like starship main computers and that really fancy really compact scanner Laris uses early in the episode.  It seems a safe bet that they're tying into that godawful Control arc of Star Trek: Discovery season two, which was embarrassingly bad even by the already-pathetic standards of the series... so much so that even the series quietly agreed to never speak of it again.

So Picard's ragtag crew here are apparently going to be a crew of outcast privateers on a personally-owned ship.  What little we see of the ship, it's pretty ugly and generic... it really feels a bit like they're trying to make this Star Trek: Firefly or knock off Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

This episode opens with the reveal that the synthetics who destroyed Utopia Planitia weren't outsiders to the facility, they were essentially an android slave labor force working at the shipyards.  The crews that worked in the shipyards alongside them treat them with naked contempt and overt racism, despite them clearly being intelligent (not as much as Data was, but intelligent nonetheless).

Hold on a second! That is completely wrong!

Those aren't supposed to be androids, they're supposed to be holograms!

Wait, never mind. The decommissioned EMH Mk 1 programs wound up in mining, not construction.

CARRY ON.

Seriously, though, Trek's brought out the "are artificial lives even really people" story about once every three years since Data was introduced. Only being taken off the air could stop the cycle.

I'm not the only one who feels the show is rather.......slow paced am I? And I'm not to thrilled with the writing of dialogue in this series either. I get the "We're a stream service, toss in ALL the swear words!" but the last thing I ever expect, is a high ranking starfleet officer to just toss the F bomb, I mean, an Admiral should show a little more reserve.
Also having problems with the day to day living.....like just casually strolling in a transporter metal detector doorway....So what? Does everyone just walk from one point to the other and get just instantly transported? I remember early in the STO game that the Odyssey Class was so big you had to transport from one area to the next to get anywhere in a decent amount of time, possibly even the Enterprise J was like this.

Okay, I'm ranting, I mean, just the way the universe had always been portrayed is nearly the polar opposite with these CBS all Access versions. I shouldn't be banging my head but I'm getting so very close to the table surface.

I liked it.  But it really needed to be a two-parter series premier, after the first episode was just too short.

The naked racism on display towards the Android workforce didn't come out of nowhere; remember how the crew of the Sutherland treated Data during Redemption pt 2.  Though I will agree that the world of the late 24th Century is a tad bleaker than I'd prefer.  But on the flip side that drives home the point that this isn't TNG Season 8.

I still want Dr. Crusher-Picard to show up, though.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Seriously, though, Trek's brought out the "are artificial lives even really people" story about once every three years since Data was introduced. Only being taken off the air could stop the cycle.

Yeah, Star Trek: the Next Generation seems to have set the tone there with "Measure of a Man" and a half dozen other episodes that determinedly explored whether AIs dream of electric sheep.  Voyager was probably the one that flogged it the hardest, what with all the Doctor-heavy episodes stealing the bloody show late in the series.  Deep Space Nine was the only one that didn't really play with the idea at all, outside of its one episode where Bariel died.

This is an unusually heavy-handed take though, what with the seemingly universal sneering disdain people treat androids with and the whole...

Spoiler

... ancient Romulan conspiracy to destroy AIs at all costs for reasons?

1 hour ago, Hikuro said:

I'm not the only one who feels the show is rather.......slow paced am I?

You're not alone.  Isn't this only ten episodes long per season or something like that?  Two episodes on, and Jean-Luc Picard is still trying to get his travel papers together, find his shoes, and let LifeAlert know he's going to be out of town for a bit.

8 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

The naked racism on display towards the Android workforce didn't come out of nowhere; remember how the crew of the Sutherland treated Data during Redemption pt 2

That was one guy... and the attitude he copped evaporated by the end of the episode.

3 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

I liked it.  But it really needed to be a two-parter series premier, after the first episode was just too short.

Sound like what I heard is right. This is actually a 3-parter series premiere.

4 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

The naked racism on display towards the Android workforce didn't come out of nowhere; remember how the crew of the Sutherland treated Data during Redemption pt 2.

I shout obscenities at my various computing devices at least once a week. That's what those synthetics are; walking computers with gears and servos controlling limbs that do work.

Aside from the F-bomb and then the petty tirade I was glad the Admiral went off on Picard. She rightfully pointed out and reminded Picard that Star Fleet DID in fact make a great effort for the Romulans...inspite of protests from member worlds. That Star Fleet was stretched thin. Also as for deciding who lives and dies so to speak.....isn’t that what the Prime Directive essentially does. Star Fleet will not interfere with natural events even if they can?

Chris

8 hours ago, azrael said:

I shout obscenities at my various computing devices at least once a week. That's what those synthetics are; walking computers with gears and servos controlling limbs that do work.

Your computer doesn't soliloquize on the nature of being and what it means to be human, does it?

I mean, it's harder to see something like an android as a dumb machine when it exhibits humanlike behavior and even curiosity.  We anthropomorphize everything... so it's kind of weird that such a humanlike android would be the object of such naked animosity.  

13 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Aside from the F-bomb and then the petty tirade I was glad the Admiral went off on Picard. She rightfully pointed out and reminded Picard that Star Fleet DID in fact make a great effort for the Romulans...inspite of protests from member worlds. That Star Fleet was stretched thin.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the writers realized that Admiral Clancey drew a line under one of the biggest plot holes in Star Trek: Picard.  Jean-Luc Picard's narrative about Starfleet having done NOTHING to help the Romulans doesn't scan, even within the context of his own remarks.  Starfleet bent over backwards to try to help the Romulans, over the objections of a number of Federation member worlds, and was left unable to render significant assistance despite their intentions to do so because they were attacked and the aid fleet destroyed.

Star Trek: Picard's writers clearly want the audience to see Jean-Luc Picard as the One Sane Man, but his take on events doesn't seem to fit with objective reality even in the context of the series itself.  To me, he comes off more as a self-righteous, entitled, slightly egotistical old man who views the entire world as wrong when it doesn't comply with his narrow views of what is right and true.  

13 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Also as for deciding who lives and dies so to speak.....isn’t that what the Prime Directive essentially does. Star Fleet will not interfere with natural events even if they can?

Kind of the opposite, really... as heavily lampshaded by Captain Archer in Star Trek: Enterprise's "Dear Doctor".

The Prime Directive exists to prevent Starfleet from playing god with less advanced civilizations.  Their more advanced technology could dramatically change the course of civilizations that are still developing, accelerating or hindering their progression, causing wars and paranoia, and changing the very direction of their evolution.  It's a rule that exists to prevent Starfleet officers from making decisions about what (lesser) civilizations are worthy to continue existing.  That principle doesn't apply to other warp-capable civilizations, which are generally viewed as mature enough to be the masters of their own destiny, though it still prohibits Starfleet from interfering in the internal affairs of other warp-capable civilizations unless their involvement is specifically requested by an appropriate authority.

So, the Admiral is kind of off-base there when she said that Starfleet can decide who lives or dies.  That's very much against the spirit and letter of the Prime Directive.  

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Your computer doesn't soliloquize on the nature of being and what it means to be human, does it?

I mean, it's harder to see something like an android as a dumb machine when it exhibits humanlike behavior and even curiosity.  We anthropomorphize everything... so it's kind of weird that such a humanlike android would be the object of such naked animosity.  

Yeah, I'm not sure if the writers realized that Admiral Clancey drew a line under one of the biggest plot holes in Star Trek: Picard.  Jean-Luc Picard's narrative about Starfleet having done NOTHING to help the Romulans doesn't scan, even within the context of his own remarks.  Starfleet bent over backwards to try to help the Romulans, over the objections of a number of Federation member worlds, and was left unable to render significant assistance despite their intentions to do so because they were attacked and the aid fleet destroyed.

Star Trek: Picard's writers clearly want the audience to see Jean-Luc Picard as the One Sane Man, but his take on events doesn't seem to fit with objective reality even in the context of the series itself.  To me, he comes off more as a self-righteous, entitled, slightly egotistical old man who views the entire world as wrong when it doesn't comply with his narrow views of what is right and true.  

Kind of the opposite, really... as heavily lampshaded by Captain Archer in Star Trek: Enterprise's "Dear Doctor".

The Prime Directive exists to prevent Starfleet from playing god with less advanced civilizations.  Their more advanced technology could dramatically change the course of civilizations that are still developing, accelerating or hindering their progression, causing wars and paranoia, and changing the very direction of their evolution.  It's a rule that exists to prevent Starfleet officers from making decisions about what (lesser) civilizations are worthy to continue existing.  That principle doesn't apply to other warp-capable civilizations, which are generally viewed as mature enough to be the masters of their own destiny, though it still prohibits Starfleet from interfering in the internal affairs of other warp-capable civilizations unless their involvement is specifically requested by an appropriate authority.

So, the Admiral is kind of off-base there when she said that Starfleet can decide who lives or dies.  That's very much against the spirit and letter of the Prime Directive.  

Yeah...while I thought her tirade at the end was a bit childish...I can totally see (plot hole aside) where she was coming from in Universe. Like you said. Picard comes off as egotistical and petty. “Star Fleet disagree’s with ME” so I quit and besmirch the name and intentions of the hundred’s of thousands of Men and Women  who dutifully serve the Federation and DO care about all life by saying that “They are Not Star Fleet” Not to mention completely ignoring the nearly 100,000 people killed in the attack. To Picard they seem to be inconsequential, and then does it again showing his utter contempt for the organzation 14 years later on interstellar media. I have a feeling the show is going to go to the extreme in proving how wrong everyone else is and vindicate Picard. Supposedly, it gets like that from episode 4 on, we’ll see.

As for the Prime Directive....I wasn’t implying that Star Fleet can’t “interfere” when asked by other warp capable civilizations. Just.....more how they WON’T interfere with lesser civilizations....like say a global war in a pre warp civilization and 1 side is wiping out another. No matter how much an Officer May want to step in and stop it they can’t...or if a plague hits a population that the Fed’s could cure. That kind of scenario.

:)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Childish, yes. But if you had a former employee that publicly berated you, on galactic TV news no less, then come to you begging for something, I would side with the Admiral on that point. 

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No. And neither did the synthetics.

I mean, it's harder to see something like an android as a dumb machine when it exhibits humanlike behavior and even curiosity.  We anthropomorphize 

everything... so it's kind of weird that such a humanlike android would be the object of such naked animosity. 

People show animosity to many things in our polarizing world so it's not hard to imagine, unfortunately. And considering there werre reports of sex robots in 2017 being man-handled at consumer electronics trade shows...PUBLIC trade shows no less, I'm not just not shocked at the animosity to the synthetics.  :unknw:

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

I have a feeling the show is going to go to the extreme in proving how wrong everyone else is and vindicate Picard. Supposedly, it gets like that from episode 4 on, we’ll see.

That'd be what I'm dreading most about Star Trek: Picard.

Patrick Stewart has been fairly open about seeing Star Trek: Picard as his personal political soapbox and he has a voice in the production planning.  I dread the prospect that, since Jean-Luc Picard is now a sockpuppet for Patrick Stewart's political views, he won't allow the writers to depict his character as being wrong or in the wrong no matter what... regardless of how hypocritical or contradictory his in-universe viewpoint may become.  Basically, I'm dreading another Michael Burnham.  Another character who the writers are so utterly determined has to be in the right that the universe itself has to bend over backwards to make it so, at the expense of common sense, logic, and a coherent narrative.

We've already seen the start of it too.  Admiral Clancey flatly declines to even consider that Jean-Luc Picard may have witnessed covert Romulan activity on Earth, and the commodore she consults about it is...

Spoiler

... almost immediately revealed to be either collaborating with the Zhat Vash assassins who murdered Dahj for unspecified reasons or possibly even a highly placed Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash agent herself.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
So The Ready Room has confirmed that Commodore Oh is a Romulan herself, not a Vulcan.

1 hour ago, azrael said:

Childish, yes. But if you had a former employee that publicly berated you, on galactic TV news no less, then come to you begging for something, I would side with the Admiral on that point. 

Me too.

That'd be what I'm dreading most about Star Trek: Picard.

Patrick Stewart has been fairly open about seeing Star Trek: Picard as his personal political soapbox and he has a voice in the production planning.  I dread the prospect that, since Jean-Luc Picard is now a sockpuppet for Patrick Stewart's political views, he won't allow the writers to depict his character as being wrong or in the wrong no matter what... regardless of how hypocritical or contradictory his in-universe viewpoint may become.  Basically, I'm dreading another Michael Burnham.  Another character who the writers are so utterly determined has to be in the right that the universe itself has to bend over backwards to make it so, at the expense of common sense, logic, and a coherent narrative.

We've already seen the start of it too.  Admiral Clancey flatly declines to even consider that Jean-Luc Picard may have witnessed covert Romulan activity on Earth, and the commodore she consults about it is...

Reveal hidden contents

... almost immediately revealed to be either collaborating with the Zhat Vash assassins who murdered Dahj for unspecified reasons or possibly even a highly placed Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash agent herself.

Yeah, it’s unfortunate that the character of Picard has to be “dismantled” so the actor who plays him can feel good about himself. It’s sad we have gone so far that actors can only play characters that are just like them politically, sexually, ect? Only similar type directors can direct movies on said subjects ect. :rolleyes:

Chris

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

Yeah, it’s unfortunate that the character of Picard has to be “dismantled” so the actor who plays him can feel good about himself.

One of my coworkers pointed this out to me, and I can't un-realize it... Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: Picard is a space boomer.  He's acting like exactly the kind of person "OK Boomer" was intended for.  He's out of touch, he doesn't realize things no longer work the way they did when he was younger, and he's absolutely convinced he knows better than everyone else and that his moral code was superior to the modern one.

(Sadly, "space boomer" was actually a term used in Star Trek before for Travis Mayweather's generation so it's unlikely to have come around again.)

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

It’s sad we have gone so far that actors can only play characters that are just like them politically, sexually, ect? Only similar type directors can direct movies on said subjects ect. :rolleyes:

It's this ridiculous era of social media outrage and virtue signaling fake social justice advocacy.

Ironically, it's basically a product of trying to create a Roddenberry-esque better world.  We've started to internalize the idea that we ought to be celebrating differences and treating everyone with equal human dignity, but we haven't quite reached that point where it's been normalized to the extent where we don't have to be afraid of hurting people with words.

We'll get it figured out eventually.  I have faith.  (Not of the heart tho, the regular kind... because that song was awful.)

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

Unless you're Kirk.

Lol, true. Let me rephrase....they’re not supposed to. ;)
My point is, Star Fleet decides who lives and dies all the time. The writers really don’t seem to get that and are instead just interested in pushing a very flawed narrative. 

Chris

15 hours ago, Dobber said:

Me too.

It’s sad we have gone so far that actors can only play characters that are just like them politically, sexually, ect? Only similar type directors can direct movies on said subjects ect. :rolleyes:

Chris

Right on!  Where is Rock Hudson when you need him?  Or is that not what you meant?

23 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

Pulaski, Maddox, Admiral Haftel…  I think it's safe to say that the attitude was more widespread than originally thought.

Eh, maybe... but none of them ever approached the level of animosity towards artificial lifeforms that's on display in Star Trek: Picard.  They were also pretty much invariably the ONLY person present who didn't regard Data as an equal when they appeared and everyone else was visibly a little put out by their attitude.  True to Star Trek form, Hobson, Haftel, Maddox, and Pulaski all changed their tune fairly quickly and all but Pulaski pulled their respective 180s in the space of a single episode.

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I really wonder what TNG Picard would make of all of this? Not "woke" Picard, but the Captain we all knew from the series.

Odds are he'd probably be pretty disappointed in his future self for leaving Starfleet and his ideals for such a petty reason instead of trying to reform the organization and live up to the ideals he espouses.  

Odds are he'd probably be pretty disappointed in his future self for leaving Starfleet and his ideals for such a petty reason instead of trying to reform the organization and live up to the ideals he espouses.  

Come on now, we all know that quitting in a huff because you don't get your way, just the way you want it, and then bitching and moaning afterwards, to later make a complete ass and sanctimonious nuisance of yourself in complete contradiction of past dignity is so much more mature than what you've posited...

15 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

Come on now, we all know that quitting in a huff because you don't get your way, just the way you want it, and then bitching and moaning afterwards, to later make a complete ass and sanctimonious nuisance of yourself in complete contradiction of past dignity is so much more mature than what you've posited...

Jean-Luc Picard, anime protagonist

1st Episode of Picard IS on Amazon Prime. Not advertised. You just have to search for it. No commercials either. Watched it last night on my tablet in bed.  Hmm....not really all I was hoping for, but I guess I'll watch the rest eventually.  His scenes with Data were amazing, everything else...mehh... Will watch again on big TV with 5.1 on later this week if I get a chance. 

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

1st Episode of Picard IS on Amazon Prime. Not advertised. You just have to search for it. No commercials either. Watched it last night on my tablet in bed.  Hmm....not really all I was hoping for, but I guess I'll watch the rest eventually.  His scenes with Data were amazing, everything else...mehh... Will watch again on big TV with 5.1 on later this week if I get a chance. 

And up on YouTube.

14 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Makes me wonder if at the end of this series, everything "fades to white", and we see Dr. Crusher standing over his bed at the Federation Nursing home:

"Okay, I've sedated him, Will. It's been another episode of his Irumodic Syndrome. (re: All Good Things TNG S7 E25/26) I'm sorry it took us a bit to catch him before he did something dangerous..."

Will Riker: "Too late; he crossed the Romulan Neutral Zone in a private craft with some ragtag crew. When we finally took them under tow, he was shouting something about 'Data's Daughter'. I'm going to have one hell of a time explaining this to the Admiral."