Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

Well, that's the clearest indication yet that CBS doesn't think Star Trek: Discovery will last after the mess its second season turned into in production...

I can only hope that they won't permit anyone who works on Discovery to pull double duty on this new show.  "Gritty Action Picard" was an obviously stupid idea the last couple times they tried it (e.g. InsurrectionNemesis), and I expect time will have done little to make the idea less stupid.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I can only hope that they won't permit anyone who works on Discovery to pull double duty on this new show.

Alex Kurtzman is in charge, and Akiva Goldsman, and Kirsten Beyer are all said to be part of the creative team, and AFAIK that's three people from Discovery right there.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I'm still surprised they could afford him.  Sadly if it is on all access I won't be seeing it.

Doesn't sound like he's doing it for the money.  In his own words, he's "excited and invigorated" to return to the Picard character.

I don't think there's a script yet, but it sounds like it's going to be in the original Star Trek timeline, about 20 years after Nemesis.  I'm down for it.  I mean, Patrick Stewart is playing Picard... how bad can it be?

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Alex Kurtzman is in charge, and Akiva Goldsman, and Kirsten Beyer are all said to be part of the creative team, and AFAIK that's three people from Discovery right there.

Ugh... so they've tapped the All-Stars of Suck for this?

Kurtzman lost any right to be involved with Star Trek when he cowrote the crap-awful mess that was Star Trek: Into Darkness.  Akiva Goldsman is the hack behind both the worst-ever Batman films and the terribad Lost in Space movie.  If not for Shatner and Mack, Kirsten Beyer would be the worst novelist in Star Trek history as the author of the completely unreadable Star Trek: Voyager relaunch.

I'm not saying this new Picard series is being set up to fail, but I'm absolutely getting shades of Springtime for Hitler...

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

I mean, Patrick Stewart is playing Picard... how bad can it be?

Did you watch Nemesis or Insurrection?  The answer is "Very".

With Beyer, Goldsman, and Kurtzman on board, bad is a foregone conclusion.  The question to ask is how early one can get on the class action lawsuit to sue CBS for giving you cancer.

9 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I don't know, twenty years have passed and he's a different person now.  Don't pull a Luke on us.

If Beyer is involved, Picard will probably turn out to be a bipolar sociopath who flies from star system to star system destabilizing whole civilizations for failing to live up  to his hypocritical standards inbetween sessions of crying about how traumatic his past is.

Why?  Because that's exactly what she did to Janeway.

The thing I'm wondering is... how can Picard be doing something that matters to the audience? It's been a couple of decades, he shouldn't be in command of a starship anymore. "Admiral Jean-Luc Picard of the federation office desk Ikea" just doesn't have the same kick, you know?

Or did Picard pull a Kirk and commit treason so he could be busted back down to captain?

32 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If not for Shatner and Mack, Kirsten Beyer would be the worst novelist in Star Trek history

I like Shatner's Star Trek novels.

33 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Did you watch Nemesis or Insurrection?

Own them both on Blu-ray.  They are by no means brilliant works of fiction, but on the whole I think they're ok.  Better than anything Voyager.

40 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

The first couple were all right, but then he fell in love with himself and started writing what can best be described as Captain Kirk's own self-insert fanfiction.

To the extent that after Kirk is resurrected from death by the Borg, he offers to tell someone the secret to winning the Kobayashi Maru only to find that EVERYONE hacks the simulator in the Next Gen era, and it is believed to be the entire point of the test.  I'm not sure which part of that was the hardest to buy.

8 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I don't think there's a script yet, but it sounds like it's going to be in the original Star Trek timeline, about 20 years after Nemesis.  I'm down for it.  I mean, Patrick Stewart is playing Picard... how bad can it be?

I see what you did there, putting "How bad can it be" and "Nemesis" in the same paragraph.

33 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

I see what you did there, putting "How bad can it be" and "Nemesis" in the same paragraph.

Ah, but Nemesis is still better than Into Darkness, or The Final Frontier, or Voyager... because Picard.

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

The thing I'm wondering is... how can Picard be doing something that matters to the audience? It's been a couple of decades, he shouldn't be in command of a starship anymore. "Admiral Jean-Luc Picard of the federation office desk Ikea" just doesn't have the same kick, you know?

With Kirsten Beyer onboard, they'll probably go one of two routes that've both been done in the Star Trek relaunch novels:

• Picard will have become Admiral Action and refuse to let his rank trap him behind a desk on Earth or at some starbase, and will instead insist on leading from the front by taking command of a Starfleet taskforce and screw up horribly over and over again.
  • Picard will commit some heinous act that will be covered up, forever disqualifying him from promotion or a retirement post with the diplomatic corps.
Spoiler

The former case is what happened to both Kathryn Janeway and William Riker.  Janeway was promoted to Vice Admiral not long after USS Voyager made it back to Earth and, after the shenanigans leading to her death in Before Dishonor and getting brought back to life by Q Junior, was promptly told to f*ck off back to the Delta Quadrant as commander of a taskforce sent back to retrace Voyager's route and confirm the Borg are extinct and has screwed up so often that her taskforce has almost been totally wiped out with only 2 ships remaining.  Will Riker got promoted to Rear Admiral as Admiral Akaar's insurance of one non-insane admiral when the Federation president pro tempore turned out to be nuts and was eventually found to be an imposter and Bajoran collaborator using the name and reputation of a dead man.  Riker later gained command of a smallish taskforce exploring Husnock space, and lost every ship under his command except the USS Titan.

Jean-Luc Picard is living the latter case, being permanently barred from the Admiralty due to two incidents that are nowhere near as forgiveable as what Kirk did.  Between being responsible for a friendly fire incident with a high civilian death toll and having taken part in a Section 31-led secret coup d'etat against Federation President Min Zife that ended in Zife resigning at phaserpoint and being murdered along with his chief of staff and other high officials shortly thereafter.

They could go the Indiana Jones route and turn Picard into a Starfleet academy instructor who moonlights as an adventurer xenoarchaeologist.

7 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

... really?  Most of them, like The Return, were Mary Sue-tier fanfiction that's been banned from even the expanded universe's main timeline.

7 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Own them both on Blu-ray.  They are by no means brilliant works of fiction, but on the whole I think they're ok.  Better than anything Voyager.

Yeah, I have copies as well... but they are BAD movies.  Not Star Trek V: the Final Frontier bad or Star Trek: Into Darkness bad, but to try and turn Star Trek's most cerebral captain into a one-liner-dispensing action hero was a big mistake.  First Contact was a weak but passable Star Trek zombie movie, Insurrection was an idiot plot start-to-finish, and Nemesis definitively broke the odd-numbers bad, even-numbers good trend with Picard facing off against a clone of himself in a oiltone pleather onesie.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

To the extent that after Kirk is resurrected from death by the Borg, he offers to tell someone the secret to winning the Kobayashi Maru only to find that EVERYONE hacks the simulator in the Next Gen era, and it is believed to be the entire point of the test.  I'm not sure which part of that was the hardest to buy.

Don't forget brainwashed Kirk beating up most of the TNG crew singlehandedly, including beating Worf in hand to hand combat and outwitting Data and Geordi combined.  Oh, and brainwashed Kirk's hot Romulan girlfriend and the brand new edgelord-tier all-black super-powerful (temporary) Defiant-class USS Enterprise that destroys Romulan flagships from the inside and doesn't afraid of anything. :p 

9 minutes ago, tekering said:

Ah, but Nemesis is still better than Into Darkness, or The Final Frontier, or Voyager... because Picard.

"Being set on fire in a skid full of hospital waste is still better than several types of inoperable cancer."

Some people have humourously suggested that they should make it a "Murder She Wrote"-style crime show, with a semi-retired Picard investigating a series of murders involving the special guest of the week - but that format, taken seriously, could potentially work if Picard say, acts as a travelling troubleshooter for Star Fleet... 

I suspect that whatever the show ends up being, its not going to be what we expect, whether for good or ill.

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... really?  Most of them, like The Return, were Mary Sue-tier fanfiction that's been banned from even the expanded universe's main timeline.

Yes, really.  They're cheesy as heck, but they're actiony-fun.  Like a summer popcorn movie in book form set in the Star Trek universe (just none of the canon ones).

That's actually part of the reason I like Peter David's Star Trek books, too.

2 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Yup—-Shatner’s and Peter David’s TNG stuff is very entertaining and “you remember them”.  I can only recall the story of like one other TNG book, despite having read a decent number of them.  

I recall parts of a few Next Gen books. But I didn't read a lot of Next Gen books. I was mostly reading books about, in Montgomery Scott's words, "NCC-1701, no bloody A, B, C, or D". And I remember several of those.

15 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Star Trek: The Line Must Be Drawn Here!

Quark did it better.

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Yes, really.  They're cheesy as heck, but they're actiony-fun.  Like a summer popcorn movie in book form set in the Star Trek universe (just none of the canon ones).

That's fair.  I just can't get past how so many of the later ones seem to be Shatner trying to settle the "Kirk vs. Picard" thing in Kirk's favor every time.

11 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

That's actually part of the reason I like Peter David's Star Trek books, too.

Q-Squared was interesting, I haven't read much of his other stuff tho.

• 1 month later...

Without having the time to actually watch this at the moment, I'll say I'm vaguely intrigued by that poster.  Are they thinking of doing some kind of R&D-focused historical series about ship's design and production?

Edit: Scratch that, didn't realize it was all still speculation.  An interesting idea, but probably not likely to happen.

Edited by Chronocidal

On 9/12/2018 at 10:37 AM, Chronocidal said:

Edit: Scratch that, didn't realize it was all still speculation.  An interesting idea, but probably not likely to happen.

CBS registered two new trademarks around the time they announced the Picard series: Star Trek: Reliant and Star Trek: Destiny.

That first one, Star Trek: Reliant, makes me suspect we're headed for a "young Picard" prequel about his service as a newly minted Ensign aboard the USS Reliant.

I don't even want to think about the other one, thanks to that title's previous use on the novel miniseries that ruined the Borg forever.

To be entirely fair, ruining the Borg in new and (un)creative ways seems to be a rite of passage for every new trek series. :p 

As mentioned before, I know The Return was a giant Shatner self-insert fanwank, but I always kind of enjoyed the irony of the thought that they originated with V-GER.

• 2 months later...