Book review sites, anime-focus to help purchase choices?

AngelBird4

Hi all

Right, we all know the curse- find a show/ova/film/short to dig, want to look at its production art, styling, etc... and Hey! There are 500 books out there! Freaking fantastic!!!

But you can't afford all 500 (or ummm... just shouldn't). And hell, the last time you did BUY ALL 500... you found out only two of them were worthwhile....

So I've been curious for a time if a site exists that has done some of the heavy lifting and broken down offerings... series/ova etc etc etc etc... to help make decisions easier?

Of course I know about Parka Blogs, but most of the reviews are driven by submissions and the range is scarce as it's a site for broad interests, so a fair few gaps when I'm trying to make my decisions. No, I don't expect anyone out there to perfectly sync to my interests... or DO I... ??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! but an anime-focused spot?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah and it's odd--- this doesn't seem like it would be an unreasonable endeavor, though the initial hit in costs to get the books and eval them-- hmmm if I start a crowd-funded... nah The Wife would probably kill me ;-) (but then again... she'd understand too...) 

Its probably time to pull the trigger on something like this though... one more damn thing to do. Thanks all so far!

I think many of the old fan sites that would do that sort of thing are gone which is a shame. This site originally had all the scans of various Macross books. But I don't even check the front page anymore.

I think people now gravitate towards the retail sites like Amazon for reviews and many times those aren't that good. I assume there are Facebook anime groups with reviews but I'm not on Facebook. I only hear about people talking about groups all the time. There is a chat thing that people were talking about on MyFigureCollection. I can't remember the name right now. Perhaps reviews are there?

I check this site on occasion but like Parkablogs it's hit and miss on anime books.

http://halcyonrealms.com/

I guess it's lucky that I'm not crazy for many anime series these days so I don't need books for them. And the old books I'll just search ebay, Mandarake, and Yahoo Japan to see what was available. Perhaps start a topic here to see if anyone has them.

13 hours ago, jvmacross said:

:unknw:Sometimes life comes before Macross I suppose....

It may have something to do with the users who would've provided that information being banned a while back... :unsure:

I'm working on a project that'll get heavy into the contents of various Macross publications, but we're not planning to branch out beyond that one franchise.  There's just too much stuff coming out for every show that airs that I doubt any one blog or site could stay on top of it all.  You'd run out of places to store the books you reviewed in a year or two at most.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Looking forward to see how that turns out....luckily the only anime I care about is Macross so not too worried about it only being Macross specific.

Shawn has wanted to upgrade the site with a sort of online Macross archive/museum.  I think between us we have most of every old school Macross item ever made.  I think the books and other media were to be included too....but I am guessing as more of a pictorial presentation...with some description of the items...at least for the collectibles....for now I just post items here on the Collector's threads....

If you plan on actually translating the book contents, as well, then that should be very helpful.  Not sure if you have managed to gather every Macross publication, if you are missing something let me know.  If it is a licensed SDFM/DYRL publication, I probably have it.  Same with M7, M+....less so with MF and I think I have what has been released for MD.  Good luck on your project!

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It may have something to do with the users who would've provided that information being banned a while back... :unsure:

I'm working on a project that'll get heavy into the contents of various Macross publications, but we're not planning to branch out beyond that one franchise.  There's just too much stuff coming out for every show that airs that I doubt any one blog or site could stay on top of it all.  You'd run out of places to store the books you reviewed in a year or two at most.

Post that site here or a new topic when the site goes up. There are a few Macross and DYRL books that I'm still curious about.

Some people on Youtube have massive comic and manga libraries. If the site is a few people they could pull off reviews of all the anime series books. Plus there is ebay to sell the books when you are finished reviewing. Many of these youtube reviewers are just getting complementary stuff from the companies too.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:07 PM, jvmacross said:

I doubt any of those reviewers received complimentary anime books

It's possible. At the least those reviewers get discounts I think. Some mention it and some don't. Some actually tell you were to get the items in beginning advertisements. Usually those people I stay away from as I like more fan and honest reviewers. Not people looking for free items.