Glass by M. Night Shyamalan

Unbreakable is one of my favorite Shyamalan films.  I liked Split and was, like probably everyone who saw it, surprised to find it tied to Unbreakable- pleasantly surprised.  Very much looking forward to Glass.

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Unbreakable is one of my favorite Shyamalan films.  I liked Split and was, like probably everyone who saw it, surprised to find it tied to Unbreakable- pleasantly surprised.  Very much looking forward to Glass.

Is it?  I hadn't even heard of it, but if they're tied together I have to go see it.

7 hours ago, Mommar said:

Is it?  I hadn't even heard of it, but if they're tied together I have to go see it.

Unfortunately that was kind of the big twist, but the movie is still entirely serviceable itself, M. Night nailed it, which threw a lot of people off. I'm surprised you hadn't already heard about the twist, everyone that saw Split raved about it and loved the twist, and everyone that saw it blew up online about it. Definitely a fantastic film, James McAvoy's "performances" were pretty amazing.

Glass is looking fantastic! I loved Split and Unbreakable, hard to believe these were by the same guy that did Last Airbender, Lady in the Water and The Happening, he's gotta be the most inconsistent director in Hollywood. I think it comes down to genres, he is just stronger at certain ones then others, something about his take on superheroes just works.

What I like about his take is the subtlety with which he approached the idea of these people being more than just average folks; they have abilities, but they're not so over -the-top like Superman. Moreover, Shyamalan concentrates as much on developing these characters as human beings, as much as super-humans, and that's what really drew me to Unbreakable. I'm glad he eschewed the bombast of the Marvel and DC films, and did it this way instead. Likewise with Split; on the surface, it just looked like a film about a very mentally disturbed guy who kidnaps three young women, and their trials to escape. Like Unbreakable, Shyamalan maintains a level of plausibility throughout, and presents the story in an understated tone, for the most part. McAvoy did a great job realizing his character(s). The other thing I've always admired about Unbreakable and Sixth Sense was how he, as a director, was able to dial down Bruce Willis' performance, as he's typically in John McClane mode in nigh everything he does, and it was great to see him play as something other than the overly-self-assured tough guy. Likewise for Sam Jackson. Both Bruce's and Sam's characters were kept grounded throughout, and that made watching these two veterans all the more enjoyable.

The trailer for Glass doesn't give me that same sense of subtlety- it strikes me as closer to the action films we're used to seeing, and I kinda wish he'd maintained the more subtle course as a cat-and-mouse game, especially since McAvoy's character isn't aware of Bruce's.  However, the idea of the three of them together in an asylum is interesting. I wouldn't have thought Bruce's character would be in there, as he keeps his abilities close to the vest, but it should make for an interesting group session.:D  Anyway, I think the dynamic between the three characters should make for an interesting film, and Shyamalan seems to be in his element here as both writer and director (say what you want about M. Night, he has a great, if dark, sense of humor), so I'm anticipating the installment.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Was it good or not??

I thought it was great! I'm torn because I want to see it again, but you can't unsee the plot twists and that affects the viewing experience.

Spoiler

Whether you're aware of it or not, this is the second time (that I can think of) that Hollywood has alluded to the existence of a secret society that works to "maintain balance." It's almost like they're trying to tell us something...

Friends took me along to see it over the weekend. I didn't enjoy Split and have not seen Unbreakable, so you can imagine my skepticism going in, but we hadn't hung out in a while and they were paying, so I wasn't going to say no. Without getting too Debbie Downer and opining on everything in the movie, can I simply say that the movie has some interesting ideas it wants to explore but does a TERRIBLE job doing so. The "comic books" monologues were some of the most cringe-worthy parts of the movie not just because of how ham-handed they were, but because so much of them were just plain old wrong.

• 2 months later...