2 hours ago, pablumatic said:

Just how many brainwashed Russian agents that secretly control world events are out there? Definitely felt like a rehash of Winter Soldier.

If that Agent Carter ep is still cannon, they've been building their ranks since the 40's.

11 hours ago, pablumatic said:

Just how many brainwashed Russian agents that secretly control world events are out there? Definitely felt like a rehash of Winter Soldier.

It’s definitely a rehash, but a fun rehash. I looked at it as the Russians did a budget version of the hydra winter soldier thing and mass produced it. They even had the air fortress and ripoff aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

And despite it not being a good movie, ScarJo is suing Disney.  Yayyy, now we have some real fireworks.

And by the way, ScarJo, Romanov is staying dead, no matter how many other universes there are, she has died in every alternate reality possible.  B

Did she really think people will line up to the theaters in this current situation? 

5 hours ago, crackpot said:

Did she really think people will line up to the theaters in this current situation? 

She just wants the additional money from streaming.

Even before the pandemic, Ms. Johansson was concerned that “Black Window” could end up on Disney+ as part of its wide release. In 2019, Ms. Johansson’s representatives reached out to Marvel seeking assurance that “Black Widow” would have a theatrical-only release, according to the complaint.

In a March 2019 email included in the suit, Marvel Chief Counsel Dave Galluzzi said the release would be according to a traditional theatrical model, adding, “We understand that should the plan change, we would need to discuss this with you and come to an understanding as the deal is based on a series of (very large) box office bonuses.” [....]

According to the complaint, Ms. Johansson’s representatives sought to renegotiate her contract after learning of the dual-release strategy for “Black Widow,” which she has said is her ninth and last Marvel movie. Disney and Marvel were unresponsive, the suit said.

1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

Boohooo.  A fight between insufferable overpaid over hyped actress and a greedy corporation that destroys franchises.  Can’t say I care about either… hope they both lose.

Fixed it.:D

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Boohooo.  A fight between overpaid actress and a greedy corporation.  Can’t say I care about either… hope they both lose.

Agreed, My wife and I were just joking about this earlier. Seriously, you could buy our whole neighborhood for $50mil. Unreal.

The ones who'll probably win is the friggin' lawyers.

11 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Agreed, My wife and I were just joking about this earlier. Seriously, you could buy our whole neighborhood for $50mil. Unreal.

The ones who'll probably win is the friggin' lawyers.

I can't imagine you get many parts anymore when you sue a studio. Maybe she's looking for one last payday. She's in the twilight of hear career anyway. 

Huh. Having lawyers step in to help and resolve broken contracts is nothing new. It seems that Disney is trying to hide behind the pandemic and claim that their original pre-pandemic contracts absolve them of renegotiating with employees for services rendered and factoring in the profits gained from its SVOD service—a service that they have publicly announced, multiple times now, they are using to release new movies.

This will be an interesting case to watch. If it goes in Johansson’s favor, I could see it opening up the field for other such cases. Not just other actors but also including groups of normal contract employees. That could get messy if the studios don’t get in front of it.

Yeah. It reminds me of the audiobook SNAFU the publishing industry created for itself when that technology became popular. There were a number of bad contracts made that had to be updated back then and lawyers got involved too. The cases covered author royalties, licensing fees, actor royalties for those reading the books, and so on. 

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

Huh. Having lawyers step in to help and resolve broken contracts is nothing new. It seems that Disney is trying to hide behind the pandemic and claim that their original pre-pandemic contracts absolve them of renegotiating with employees for services rendered and factoring in the profits gained from its SVOD service—a service that they have publicly announced, multiple times now, they are using to release new movies.

This will be an interesting case to watch. If it goes in Johansson’s favor, I could see it opening up the field for other such cases. Not just other actors but also including groups of normal contract employees. That could get messy if the studios don’t get in front of it.

Yeah. It reminds me of the audiobook SNAFU the publishing industry created for itself when that technology became popular. There were a number of bad contracts made that had to be updated back then and lawyers got involved too. The cases covered author royalties, licensing fees, actor royalties for those reading the books, and so on. 

You're making the mistake of arguing right and wrong. When it comes to the studios and who they hire for movies that is not a factor.

If Scarjo sues them and wins/doesn't win would it be right for her to be blackballed? No, of course not. Will that stop the studios from blackballing her? Nope. There are a zillion other actors out there that haven't sued a studio that they can hire. And it's not like she;s in the middle of a franchise and therefore has some leverage. Annnnnnnd, she's in the twilight of her career. She may have just sent herself to "straight to DVD" type parts. Maybe she can do something with Steven Seagal.:D

Edited by sqidd

46 minutes ago, sqidd said:

You're making the mistake of arguing right and wrong. When it comes to the studios and who they hire for movies that is not a factor.

If Scarjo sues them and wins/doesn't win would it be right for her to be blackballed? No, of course not. Will that stop the studios from blackballing her? Nope. There are a zillion other actors out there that haven't sued a studio that they can hire. And it's not like she;s in the middle of a franchise and therefore has some leverage. Annnnnnnd, she's in the twilight of her career. She may have just sent herself to "straight to DVD" type parts. Maybe she can do something with Steven Seagal.:D

Huh? I'm not doing anything of the sort. I'm looking at this as a contract dispute with (hopefully) little to no bias. I'm sorry but I'm not going to dump on some woman I don't know personally and will probably never meet. Streaming is a new format and just like so many other new media formats before it, there are bound to be growing pains when it comes to royalties, licensing fees, and other standard contract payments. Disney is trying to dodge its contract negotiations, which is something that they are wont to do.

To speak to something that is more in my wheelhouse, remember that we are talking about the same Disney that refused to pay author Alan Dean Foster book royalties for his Star Wars and Alien novelizations after their Lucasfilm/FOX acquisitions. There is a history of misbehavior at work in the company.

https://winteriscoming.net/2021/04/23/disney-star-wars-author-alan-dean-foster-settle-royalty-dispute/

The reason this new case is interesting is because there are now a number of studios profiting off of streaming technology. If some studios insist on writing trash contracts without cutting fair percentages that include such services, then they definitely should be hearing from the lawyers. That's how this works. To think that other actors and other contract workers in the industry aren't watching this with keen interest is to be missing the forest for the trees.

For me, who the employee is, how high profile they are, or whether or not I agree with what they say publicly (or not) doesn't really matter. The point is that Disney truly doesn't care about its contracts and is hiding behind the pandemic to keep from renegotiating terms. That is my take away in this case and the company's misbehavior affects more people than Johansson.

Edited by technoblue

6 hours ago, sqidd said:

I can't imagine you get many parts anymore when you sue a studio. Maybe she's looking for one last payday. She's in the twilight of hear career anyway. 

I don't think Scarlett's career is ending anytime soon, maybe for action roles it is. She was really good in Marriage Story on Netflix and received a Oscar nom for it.

3 hours ago, technoblue said:

Huh? I'm not doing anything of the sort. I'm looking at this as a contract dispute with (hopefully) little to no bias. I'm sorry but I'm not going to dump on some woman I don't know personally and will probably never meet. Streaming is a new format and just like so many other new media formats before it, there are bound to be growing pains when it comes to royalties, licensing fees, and other standard contract payments. Disney is trying to dodge its contract negotiations, which is something that they are wont to do.

To speak to something that is more in my wheelhouse, remember that we are talking about the same Disney that refused to pay author Alan Dean Foster book royalties for his Star Wars and Alien novelizations after their Lucasfilm/FOX acquisitions. There is a history of misbehavior at work in the company.

https://winteriscoming.net/2021/04/23/disney-star-wars-author-alan-dean-foster-settle-royalty-dispute/

The reason this new case is interesting is because there are now a number of studios profiting off of streaming technology. If some studios insist on writing trash contracts without cutting fair percentages that include such services, then they definitely should be hearing from the lawyers. That's how this works. To think that other actors and other contract workers in the industry aren't watching this with keen interest is to be missing the forest for the trees.

For me, who the employee is, how high profile they are, or whether or not I agree with what they say publicly (or not) doesn't really matter. The point is that Disney truly doesn't care about its contracts and is hiding behind the pandemic to keep from renegotiating terms. That is my take away in this case and the company's misbehavior affects more people than Johansson.

I'm not disputing anything you have said. I agree, Scarjo is probably in the right.

My point is that "right" doesn't matter to the studio's. Actually, I think it's your point too.;)

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I don't think Scarlett's career is ending anytime soon, maybe for action roles it is. She was really good in Marriage Story on Netflix and received a Oscar nom for it.

About 10yrs ago she herself said (in GQ I think) she needed to cash in while she could because the expiration date on big paying jobs was at about age 40. Add to that suing a studio (right or wrong) and one could argue that she is in the twilight of her career.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I'm not disputing anything you have said. I agree, Scarjo is probably in the right.

My point is that "right" doesn't matter to the studio's. Actually, I think it's your point too.;)

Ah, my bad. :fool:

True. The studios see $$$ and want to benefit from that as long as they can. It will still be interesting to see how much of a fight Disney puts up this time. They clearly aren’t ignoring it like they did with Mr. Foster.

20 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Ah, my bad. :fool:

True. The studios see $$$ and want to benefit from that as long as they can. It will still be interesting to see how much of a fight Disney puts up this time. They clearly aren’t ignoring it like they did with Mr. Foster.

:hi:

I'm also interested to see what happens. I find the human experiment VERY interesting. 

My guess is that the studio will use their very deep pockets to drain Scarjo's. There are about elevindybillion tricks a legal team can use to break the checkbook of the opposing side. They could make it so painful tat at some point Scarjo decides to cut bait. It's what big corps do.

A friend of mine is the son of Robert Kearns (the guy who invented the intermittent windshield wiper). After he (Robert Kearns) patented it, he spent the rest of his life fighting the car companies in court. One of the rare cases that the good guys won......sorta. He got $30M. And then died. His son and daughter got the money. They made a movie about it.

I think this kind of lawsuit may become more common since a lot of people watched movies on HBO Max for the subscription cost and didn’t pay an extra $30 something. I don’t know much about those contracts, but the people who made a lot of those movies may have been screwed over in similar or even worse ways.

Musicians have been fighting with record companies hoarding streaming revenue for years, it's more of a surprise that it took this long to come to a head with actor's & studios.

15 minutes ago, Keith said:

Musicians have been fighting with record companies hoarding streaming revenue for years, it's more of a surprise that it took this long to come to a head with actor's & studios.

Have they been winning?