Sci-Fi Author Harlan Ellison passed away at the age of 84!

https://trekmovie.com/2018/06/28/legendary-sci-fi-author-harlan-ellison-dead-at-84-wrote-star-trek-classic-city-on-the-edge-of-forever/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06/29/j-michael-straczynski-pens-heartfelt-letter-about-his-friend-harlan-ellison/

The original Star Trek series episode "City on the Edge of Forever" was my first exposure to his work, but the first time I've seen his face was on Babylon 5 in a cameo role as a Psi Cop in the episode "The Face of the Enemy."

RIP Harlan Ellison!

I confess I've never read any of his fiction, but over the years, having been a life long sci-fi fan who's watched any number of docs and commentaries, the picture I have of Mr. Ellison is that he was brilliant, contentious, and, if provoked, which he seemingly was quite easily, could be downright vicious with the written word. He wasn't a big man, but he had big ideas and the talent to convey them in his writing. While his tiff with Gene Rodenberry over The City on the Edge of Forever script tends to be what most folks remember him for, he contributed to a number of sci-fi shows in his career. 

Much like Dick, I imagine his work will be more celebrated since his passing.

Alas, another forward thinker lost to the cosmos.

I have no mouth, and I must scream.

I was introduced to his short stories as an undergrad. They were enthralling, and some were even a bit provocative. They’re a recommended read, if you haven’t given them a shot already. Farewell, Mr. Ellison.