On 12/20/2021 at 7:39 PM, xrentonx said:

I'm not sure if I'm alone on this or not but Andrew Garfield is my favorite off all the live action Spider-Mans even though I agree that both Amazing Spider-Man films were just OK and not as good as Tobey's 1 and 2 and Holland's trilogy. Andrew Garfield himself was by far the best thing in the Amazing movies and I blame the filmmakers for failing on everything else. That said, Garfield stole the show for me in a movie full of show stealers.

In the first half of the movie, I kept going "Peter, STOP! Peter, that's stupid, don't do that" and then there was a point where it all clicked for me and I enjoyed the hell out if it.

I think this is a close 2nd to Into the Spider-verse for me in terms of Spider-Man movies. Loved it.

You're not alone. I just came back from finally seeing this. Going into this I saw people saying on Twitter that they want another AG Spider-Man, and I was thinking that's dumb, we've moved on from that. But after watching NWH I'm totally on board with it, Garfield stole the scenes he was in.

I've been ruminating on this movie for the past week or two. It's the best of the MCU trio of Spidey films... but I don't know if I like it on its own merits. It could just be that I'm kind of uninterested in the multiverse as the overarching MCU plot going forward... or I'm Spider-Man'ed out. I dunno.

Spoiler

Looking past all the wink-and-nod fanservice moments, it's little more than a retread of Into the Spider-Verse... which itself might be a wink-and-nod fanservice moment, except it just makes me want to watch Into the Spider-Verse again. And Raimi 1 and 2 again. And play PS4 Spider-Man again. Basically, all of its strongest story beats just make me want to experience the same but stronger moments from other Spider-Mans.

I do like what little bit of its own identity exists, though, and that is the recognition that this Spider-Man has spent the entire last MCU phase failing upwards, and there need to be consequences for it. I'd have liked to have seen it played with more.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:14 PM, kajnrig said:

I've been ruminating on this movie for the past week or two. It's the best of the MCU trio of Spidey films... but I don't know if I like it on its own merits. It could just be that I'm kind of uninterested in the multiverse as the overarching MCU plot going forward... or I'm Spider-Man'ed out. I dunno.

Hide contents

Looking past all the wink-and-nod fanservice moments, it's little more than a retread of Into the Spider-Verse... which itself might be a wink-and-nod fanservice moment, except it just makes me want to watch Into the Spider-Verse again. And Raimi 1 and 2 again. And play PS4 Spider-Man again. Basically, all of its strongest story beats just make me want to experience the same but stronger moments from other Spider-Mans.

I do like what little bit of its own identity exists, though, and that is the recognition that this Spider-Man has spent the entire last MCU phase failing upwards, and there need to be consequences for it. I'd have liked to have seen it played with more.

Just got back from seeing it, and it was definitely another strong entry.  Spiderman has long been one of my favorite Marvel heroes, so I have an ounce of bias when watching these movies. That said, I have to concur that the performances were strong, but I'm not as excited by introducing the whole multiverse idea. I think I'd prefer their keeping the stories in the here and now with a cossover character here and there. That said, it was a really fun and nostalgic jog to see so many former players from previous Spiderman films in this. Too, the story was well-written around the central choice that Holland's Spiderman makes as opposed to Dr. Strange's solution.  It's a bolder and more interesting choice from a story-telling perspective to show allies in opposition rather than just portray them as always in agreement, and IMHO, this movie did it well. Anyway, the actors from the older films stepped flawlessly back into their roles, and it was great to see.

Spoiler

I did think it was odd that Thomas Hayden Church remained in a sandy state even when taking on a human form throughout the majority of the film, and I wonder if he had changed too much, or just wasn't available for filming. It definitely sounded like him, but unlike the other former film foes, he wasn't in the film bodily except for a moment at the end, which looked CG to me.

The result of Peter's painful request of Dr. Strange as a solution to multiverse overload, as it were, makes for some interesting story-telling going forward.  It will certainly be a test of his character going it completely alone for the first time, and it should be interesting to see how he tries to regain the relationships he lost. Talk about sacrifice- yeesh.

Well that was a good one. I enjoyed it overall, though it did have its weak, campy moments. Really liked seeing all the Spidey's on one screen, though my fav live-action is still Maguire.

Spoiler

He really pulled off the elder-Spiderman in comparison to the young'uns. A little more composed and I loved how they were so blown away by his ability to make his own webs 'internally!' Some great dialogue. In comparison to the villains, the Spidermen were definitely stand-outs, whereas only Doc Oc and Goblin were really compelling. Doc Oc stoled it for the villains though. Real creepy.

And then Aunt May... Some really good acting in that scene. You think she's fine, then she's not and then she's just gone... Wow. Really wish they hadn't killed her off though. A little too like Uncle Ben. Plus, I really liked her. She was the hawt Aunt May!

And one thing I wonder about, is why they just brushed off his assumed guilt about killing Mysterio? Such a big thing at the end of the last movie and it's just brushed off by Murdoch i a few sentences. (Great cameo by Daredevil! He needs his own movie!) After that, the only reason Peter then went to Strange was about not getting into college... Yes, there was more of course, but that seems pretty trifling. I assumed he would be running from the law throughout the whole thing and then being mentally neutered as a way to get out of it.

Oh well. Good movie!

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

IMG_0655.PNG.89ad329f5ab6a25b300c2cef4bf79953.PNG

IMG_0656.PNG.95daffba832ab2c56b7693c701a4a46c.PNG

1-3. Would have added some better interactions, but I could see those cut for time.
4. Would have been nice to show it wasn't all bad in the court of public opinion.
5. WTF? :wacko::nea:I WOULD have cut that out too. That just makes no frakin' sense. 😵
10. Darn.
11. Darn.

• 4 weeks later...