Just now, eXis10z said:

Are they allowed to buy Sony Pictures? Isn't there some law restricting that purchase out of monopolization fear? I read their Fox deal barely got through .

American anti-trust laws are weak as heck. They can totally buy Sony Pictures. There will be a token objection, they'll have to give up some minor division they didn't want anyways, but it'll go through.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/sony-and-marvel-strike-new-deal-to-keep-spider-man-in-t-1838527425

New deal is officially in place between Disney/Marvel and Sony. Holland can and will appear in MCU movies as Peter, and whatever Sony comes up with for it's connected Spider-verse film universe. 

Glad smarter heads prevailed.

The MCU writers are either dancing up a storm OR tearing up all those rewrites they did to edit Spidey out of Phase 4.

After Far From Home, it was gonna be hard as stink to keep a continuity with Spidey not at the heart of it.

The funny thing is that given what's happened, Marvel is now going to start figuring out how to push Spiderman to the sidelines, they'll evolve it during the films, but in a way that still contribute to the MCU.  And it makes Fantastic Four harder.

Can you imagine the next big Spiderman success?  Then Sony asks for more money again?

Alternatively, Marvel buys out Sony Entertainment to get the rights back and bring all of Marvel home, and then sell Sony Entertainment again.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

Cool.

Pretty much.

Part of me wants to say that this was inevitable, but businesses, especially movie studios make some truly bone-headed moves.

So Marvel has two movies to work this out, personally I would have preferred a more long term deal, but whatever.

-b.

6 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

The funny thing is that given what's happened, Marvel is now going to start figuring out how to push Spiderman to the sidelines, they'll evolve it during the films, but in a way that still contribute to the MCU.  And it makes Fantastic Four harder.

Can you imagine the next big Spiderman success?  Then Sony asks for more money again?

Alternatively, Marvel buys out Sony Entertainment to get the rights back and bring all of Marvel home, and then sell Sony Entertainment again.

Wasn't it Fox that had the FF license? No road bumps there.

And my understanding is Disney was asking for more money, not Sony.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:50 AM, kalvasflam said:

Personally, I don't think Fantastic Four will ever be a big success as a live-action movie. We've had two failed, disastrous  attempts already.

I just don't think the characters are interesting or likable enough for a mainstream movie franchise.

19 hours ago, Graham said:

Personally, I don't think Fantastic Four will ever be a big success as a live-action movie. We've had two failed, disastrous  attempts already.

I just don't think the characters are interesting or likable enough for a mainstream movie franchise.

Admittedly the first one with Jessica Alba wasn't all bad.  Well, mainly, Alba wasn't all bad, the rest were meh....

20 hours ago, Graham said:

Three attempts. The first movie got a sequel involving Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

The first movie wasn't great, but wasn't AWFUL either. The second movie and the "new" continuity movie were both trainwrecks made by people that hate fun.

But really, the biggest problem the Fantastic Four have in the modern movie environment is that they're kinda "been there, done that". Their powers aren't anything exciting, the idea of a team isn't anything exciting, and any drama they write will ALSO not be anything exciting, because it has all been done in other hero movies in recent history.

That their comics predate most of the other characters in the Marvel movies doesn't matter to the public. They're going to be seen as "budget-rate Avengers with a talking rock and a gender-bent version of the mom from The Incredibles."

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 12:24 AM, JB0 said:

Three attempts. The first movie got a sequel involving Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

The first movie wasn't great, but wasn't AWFUL either. The second movie and the "new" continuity movie were both trainwrecks made by people that hate fun.

Technically, there is a 4th F.F. film out there.  Made in the early-mid 90's with the young man from "Boy Who Could Fly" as Johnny Storm.  There's a documentary playing on Prime or Hulu that goes over it. Was never officially released but apparently there are bootlegs out there of it, typically found at the various conventions. Interesting view of how the shady side of Hollywood actually works or preview to what an actual "won't mention" movie shoot would most likely be like. 

• 5 weeks later...

If I'm remembering correctly,

Spoiler

Ned was also the original Hobgoblin.  Figuring out Hobgoblin's secret identity was one of the bigger mysteries at that time in the Spider-Man comics.

But good on Jacob the actor dropping that weight.

On a somewhat tangent, is there any way to input spoiler codes on the mobile version of the boards?  The old BB code shortcuts don't seem to work anymore.  Can do them from my laptop, but not when I'm on my cell phone.

• 1 month later...