I watchs the movie today (in my country they release the movie today...)

And I liked.

He's not perfect, but he's better thn that trash of Bay.

All that references, make me a boy again XD

I'ts sad, the movie still in the Bayverse... Like said the director.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Huh? It's up over $500 million worldwide. I thought it was doing pretty well.

Whoda thunk? It even opened 1-2 weeks early overseas...and during the holiday season. Oh well.

I think 10 years of Michael Bay has probably left a sour taste for this movie to clean up. Had this movie come earlier, showing us we can get a decent Tranformers movie with better looking 'bots, I think things would have been different.

The kids had a choice between Spider-Man, Poppins 2, Transformers, and Aquaman today, and they could not have chosen Spider-Man quicker. It's kind of disappointing to see the first good Transformers get such a lukewarm response, but that's the consequence of churning out 5-6 absolute turds in ten years.

21 minutes ago, peter said:
  Hide contents

Bumblebee having his voice was awesome.  

Now that they've done the whole ET phone home thing, I hope he gets his voice back if there are any sequels.

Agreed and thanks for posting those pics sh9000!

This really did feel like a love letter of sorts to all of the old-school Transformer fans. I LOVED the throw backs to the 86 animated move and as much homage was paid to it.

Personally I did not mind at all that there were a lot of aesthetic queues to the Bay movies. IMO they absolutely struck the perfect mix of G1 and Bay from a design standpoint.

But it was the story/heart that this movie had, even with the pure camp and sometimes cringe of Cena, that made this the first really good Transformers live-action movie (I guess the first one wasn't terrible, but it's faint praise).

-b.

On 12/25/2018 at 9:40 PM, kajnrig said:

The kids had a choice between Spider-Man, Poppins 2, Transformers, and Aquaman today, and they could not have chosen Spider-Man quicker. It's kind of disappointing to see the first good Transformers get such a lukewarm response, but that's the consequence of churning out 5-6 absolute turds in ten years.

I think part of the problem was the studio’s indecisiveness on whether this film was supposed to be a reboot or a prequel.  They wanted to have their cake and eat it too, so they played it both ways.

The director wanted to go back to G1 completely because he’s a G1 fan.  You could tell in the featurettes that he wasn’t fond of Bayformers and he wanted to go all out with G1, but his hands were tied because there was continuity (what could be considered continuity in the Bayverse anyway) to think about. 

Spoiler

Megatron was supposed to have an awesome intro, but because of the continuity, the director couldn’t show Megs in his film. 

I think they probably should have gone complete reboot.  Spiderman’s been rebooted what 2, 3 times?  Not sure why they didn’t with this franchise.

29 minutes ago, peter said:

I think part of the problem was the studio’s indecisiveness on whether this film was supposed to be a reboot or a prequel.  They wanted to have their cake and eat it too, so they played it both ways.

The director wanted to go back to G1 completely because he’s a G1 fan.  You could tell in the featurettes that he wasn’t fond of Bayformers and he wanted to go all out with G1, but his hands were tied because there was continuity (what could be considered continuity in the Bayverse anyway) to think about. 

Hide contents

Megatron was supposed to have an awesome intro, but because of the continuity, the director couldn’t show Megs in his film. 

I think they probably should have gone complete reboot.  Spiderman’s been rebooted what 2, 3 times?  Not sure why they didn’t with this franchise.

not saying I don’t believe or agree with you, because I do .....just why would having Megs matter when they completely changed the arrival of B Optimus and the others. Like you said the continuity is all over the place, they should’ve just went all in with the reboot and allowed nods to the Bay movies like they did to the old animated movie to appease the Bay movie fans.

Also, thanks for the pictures sh9000!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Spoiler

From the sounds of it, Megs intro was going to be like Sauron's presence on the battlefield in LOTR.  

Sounds like it would have been awesome.  What a fukking tease this whole thing is, I just hope that it turns around and pulls the numbers needed for more of these films to be made......or maybe just let the whole thing die for a few years, get the bad taste of Michael Bay out of everyone's mind and start fresh down the road.

So refreshing that this film didn't have any stupid jokes, dogs humping, transformers will balls, or transformers pissing on people. 

For what little screen time there was for the G1 characters, they not only looked how they were supposed to look, but also seemed to behave as they would have in the cartoon.  It even seemed like they tried to replicate their original voices, which was awesome.

Shame about killing of Cliffjumper so soon.  I think a lot of fans didn't react well to the animated film where they killed off so many main characters, you'd think they'd remember that.  They had generic bots, why not keep the killing to those guys?  I guess it wasn't as bad as Bayformers where they got all Game of Thrones with killing off main characters.

23 minutes ago, Dobber said:
  Hide contents

not saying I don’t believe or agree with you, because I do .....just why would having Megs matter when they completely changed the arrival of B Optimus and the others. Like you said the continuity is all over the place, they should’ve just went all in with the reboot and allowed nods to the Bay movies like they did to the old animated movie to appease the Bay movie fans.

Also, thanks for the pictures sh9000!

Chris

Yeah, that was atrocious. The cybertronian Bots in this movie are amazing....and Soundwave’s voice too!!

and Cliffjumper! When I saw him before he identified himself, I was like Cliffjumper!! Then I was like “awe Cliffjumper” when it was obvious what was going to happen. 

:(

Also did I see Braun get wasted in the same same that we see RC??

Chris

49 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

Hide contents

Not yet. Neither Brawn or Prowl.

I can’t remember specifically but could that be him on the left in the picture of

RC

Chris

edit: according to Travis Knight and EW it is indeed!

https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/22/bumblebee-spoilers-classic-transformers-opening-battle/2/

Edited by Dobber

32 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:
  Hide contents

I saw him very clearly---he gets shot in the shoulder (and likely dies) just like in the '86 movie

Berawn don't die. He get in in Escape Pod, with anothers.

But rewatching this scene you can see a bot resemble Gears.

And not Prowl, was Ratchet... Sorry to my mistake^^"

15 hours ago, Dobber said:

I can’t remember specifically but could that be him on the left in the picture of

Hide contents

RC

Chris

edit: according to Travis Knight and EW it is indeed!

https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/22/bumblebee-spoilers-classic-transformers-opening-battle/2/

Good article.  Knight keeps hinting that his hands were tied and it probably would have been an even better film if it wasn't for the studio and Michael Bay casting a shadow over the whole thing.

1 hour ago, peter said:

Good article.

Good, but poorly-researched.  Who is Chris Landa?  Oh, they mean Chris Latta, who voiced the original Starscream.  They get Peter Cullen's name right, but say he's voiced Optimus Prime since the beginning... which ignores Robots in Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Universe, Combiner Wars... over a decade's worth of animated content (and at least six other voice actors).

And what gave them the idea that the "Coneheads" had altered Hasbro instructions?  Probably Floro Dery's line art for the Sunbow cartoon, rather than anything to do with the toys, their packaging, or their instructions.

It's like they don't even know how to use Google.  <_<

Looking at the box office results, I'm somewhat incensed that Aquaman, easily the worst of these three "super" movies, is making so much more money than either of the other two. It's such a BAD movie, especially in comparison...

Aquaman = $700 million
Spider-Man = $85 million
Bumblebee = $46 million

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/12/27/bumblebee-transformers-box-office-aquaman-mary-poppins-spider-man/#72a813916fe2

4 hours ago, peter said:

Critics are saying it's a good movie, better than Shitformers from Michael Bay, yet it's tanking at the box office, wtf.

Probably just bad timing, unfortunately. Going up against Aquaman and Spider-Verse can't have been good. I do feel it's the best Transformers movie so far and I'd love for them to continue with this "soft reboot," but so far it's not looking good. :(

2 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

I know people are happy to not have bayformers anymore, but they still look like crap IMO.

They look a lot less like crap, and we've lowered our expectations low enough that that's worth celebrating.

What is UP with Shockwave's thighs, though?

Yes! Exactly! The “hot” young adults had almost little of none for screen time. The jokes weren’t awful and mindless like the other films. It felt wholesome in a way, coming of age.

what sucks though and this is a competition ploy, China granted an extended play for WB and DC for aqua man that was to originally end this week and allow bumblebee to play from New Years to the start of February. This will hurt the film a bit more as it hasn’t been getting the revenue it was hoping for which is a damn shame. I felt this was a winner.

Just got home from seeing this. It felt like it was very much the same story as the 07 film, but told in the way that it should have been in the first place. A few more tie-ins to the Bay movies than I’d have liked, but it was pretty good overall. 

I had to look in the background of Memo’s room during that second. Saw models of the BSG Viper, Enterprise, and a few Tom Baker Doctor Who posters.