I just watched it. I thought the special effects were pretty bad, the fight at the end was pretty bad, the movie was way too long, and Hollywood needs to stop trying to sell me on Kristen Wiig. I still like Gal Gadot and Chris Pine, the mall scene was pretty cool, and I liked the scene where Steve was trying to figure out '80s fashion. I'd give it a C-.

EDIT: Oh, the mid-credits scene was fantastic.

Edited by mikeszekely

54 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I just watched it. I thought the special effects were pretty bad, the fight at the end was pretty bad, the movie was way too long, and Hollywood needs to stop trying to sell me on Kristen Wiig. I still like Gal Gadot and Chris Pine, the mall scene was pretty cool, and I liked the scene where Steve was trying to figure out '80s fashion. I'd give it a C-.

EDIT: Oh, the mid-credits scene was fantastic.

I gave you a like for the Kristen Wiig comment. 

Gotta agree with everything everyone else is already saying here, it's boring, too long, and the special effects are really shoddy. I'm pretty surprised how many times I checked the time, and paused the movie to see how much was left, while the movie was still going, it was really middling.

Spoiler

Also, is continuity no longer a thing in the DC connected movie universe? I thought Diana went into hiding and gave up on humanity after her stint in the Great War, up until she helped in BvS. But, like, no, she was at the center of a massive international incident, and was seen, in costume, by no less then hundreds of different people, military personnel included. There was zero mention of a wishing incident in the other films, or word about a nuclear exchange between Russia and the US. Also, if the only picture Batman, worlds greatest detective, could find of WW is that old black and white, he's garbage, there should've been Time covers of WW, stock footage, historical footage, this massive event only happened a few decades before BvS.

I mean, I don't care too much, these movies have been all over the place for a while, fast and loose for sure since Justice League sucked, but up until this film the continuity of all the movies in this universe kind of worked. Now WW84 truly just says screw continuity, and tells whatever story they felt. 

Spoiler

Agreed though, after credits scene, with the still quite beautiful original WW was pretty awesome, made sitting through this slog almost worth it.

My review...meh

We watched 2 movies on Christmas....Soul and WW84

I was fine with paying the D+ subscription fee to watch Disney Pixar's Soul....

I was glad I did not pay a cent to watch WW84 on HBO Max....

Unrelated to either of these 2 films....HBO Max has all (?) of the Studio Ghibli Films and have been catching up on them....none I have watched so far are better than the ones I had previously seen, which were Nausicaa, Laputa, and Howl's Moving Castle.........had never seen My Neighbor Totoro before, but I found it slow and boring....and I can barely get myself to continue watching Princess Mononoke.....if I did not have the HBO Max free trial I would probably just give up on the rest....may end up doing that and watch the Lovecraft Country instead...

Oh....one thing that I found to be awful in WW84 was the lack of use of her theme music....and when they finally did use it, it was some different take on it that just did nothing for the scenes...liek the movie, the WW theme was just a lackluster version of the original......I also found Wonder Women to be boring without Batman and Superman....which was the complete opposite for her appearance in BvS where she brought the excitement with her....

Maybe now that she is free of her "loss".....she can become the character we saw in the first WW and during her appearance in BvS.....the 80's and every decade since the end of WWI have apparently been a real downer for Diana....:(

Watched it last night, glad I didn't pay for it.  It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't awesome either.

The 80's references were a bit over the top, especially in the beginning of the movie.  I kept thinking Stranger Things did it better.  The acting felt like 1980's quality, did they do that on purpose?  Because some of it was really cringeworthy.

The whole opening scene (that you can watch on youtube) felt unnecessary and didn't really move the story forward for me.  Apart from one line, it didn't really connect to the film.

Spoiler

Was expecting to see some closure about the wishing stone....did it just blink out of existence after he renounced his wish?

So, leaving Steve standing there looked like he got dumped rather than having a wish renounced....was expcting more of a Spiderman Infinity War style send off, lol!

I think Pedro Pascal is better with Mandalorian armor....I currently can't see him in anything else right now.

7 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Unrelated to either of these 2 films....HBO Max has all (?) of the Studio Ghibli Films and have been catching up on them....none I have watched so far are better than the ones I had previously seen, which were Nausicaa, Laputa, and Howl's Moving Castle.........had never seen My Neighbor Totoro before, but I found it slow and boring....and I can barely get myself to continue watching Princess Mononoke.....if I did not have the HBO Max free trial I would probably just give up on the rest....may end up doing that and watch the Lovecraft Country instead...

I'm using my "trial" month to catch up on Ghibli too.   I'd recommend Spirited Away, you didn't mention having seen that one yet, and it's one of, if not THE best IMHO.   But I'd rank 2 and 3 as Laputa and Howl's, so even considering the overall quality of the group, you'll be hard-pressed to find ones better than what you've already seen.   

Aviation enthusiast rants:

#1. 

Spoiler

It was dark and only lit by its own lights, but the TWA plane looked like an A319 to me.   That's a lot of work to make something that couldn't have existed, instead of just using stock footage or you know, a 727 mesh or something.  I know there's a movie-quality 727 mesh out there, Marvel's using it for Loki.    TWA had no Airbuses, ever, period.  And the A319 didn't exist until the 90's.   It's kind of like making a Pan Am 787.   Yeah, the airline may be "retro 80's" but the plane sure isn't.   

#2. 

Spoiler

So, they need a two-person, side-by-side, long-range fighter jet? That could be found in a US-oriented air museum?  And they pick one with swing wings, twin engines, and a single huge tailfin?   And it's a frankensteined side-by-side Tornado, instead of the F-111?   Again, they're making it harder by making abominations that never existed, instead of just, you know, copying actual things from back then.   (We're ignoring the range issue here---should have snagged that B-52 from just a minute earlier!)

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

#2. 

Hide contents

So, they need a two-person, side-by-side, long-range fighter jet? That could be found in a US-oriented air museum?  And they pick one with swing wings, twin engines, and a single huge tailfin?   And it's a frankensteined side-by-side Tornado, instead of the F-111?   Again, they're making it harder by making abominations that never existed, instead of just, you know, copying actual things from back then.   (We're ignoring the range issue here---should have snagged that B-52 from just a minute earlier!)

Spoiler

I don't know much about aviation storage at a museum, but is it common for them to have a fully fueled and prepped side-by-side Tornado parked outside of the museum and that is ready to go, with enough fuel to get to Egypt.......no idea where it landed in Egypt, refueled, and came back. 

On top of that, will a pilot, even a modern day pilot that is fully qualified on prop planes and nothing else, be able to start up and fly jet powered plane?  I'm thinking probably not?  I just kept thinking about that scene from Airplane where Ted Stryker had to fly the 747.

Thanks Atheonyirh, that worked. I’m actually surprised at how much they don’t include on Hulu compared to hbo Max.

I’ll probably check out the movie a bit later. I’m going in with low expectations, like with most of the dc movies. I figure that if I don’t hype myself then it won’t be so disappointing. I did the same with the Harley Quinn movie and I had fun with that, so maybe it’ll work with this as well.

This movie is good example of why they should release these movies now instead of keep pushing them back.  I was really looking forward to the next Bond film but those rose colored glasses of excitement that would overlook any of the film's flaws was only good for Summer of 2020.  After a bunch of delays I'm going to be expecting something that Hollywood can't deliver.   None of these films they pushed back a year just to play them in the theater are going to wow me.

On 12/26/2020 at 10:07 AM, jvmacross said:

My review...meh

We watched 2 movies on Christmas....Soul and WW84

I was fine with paying the D+ subscription fee to watch Disney Pixar's Soul....

I was glad I did not pay a cent to watch WW84 on HBO Max....

Wow, WW84 shoulda dropped while the iron was hot..

Did you catch Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro? Love that one too. 
I've gotten half way through Love Craft Country. Could go on and on about the pro's and con's , but I'm really enjoying it.

19 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Wow, WW84 shoulda dropped while the iron was hot..

Did you catch Lupin: Castle of Cagliostro? Love that one too. 
I've gotten half way through Love Craft Country. Could go on and on about the pro's and con's , but I'm really enjoying it.

Not yet, but I will.....

As for Lovecraft Country....it started out well enough, but it lost its way.....by the end it was another JJ linked fail

On 12/26/2020 at 10:22 AM, Roy Focker said:

A lot of movie with too much plot.

A lot of movie with an overly contrived plot. So many things just didn't make any sense. 

At least the acting was good, with Gal Gadot and Chris Pine continuing where they left off from Wonder Woman.

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

It's all relative. Lol. 

Apparently a third has been green lit..

All in all WW84 was par for the course for the Synder-verse DCEU movies. With WW being the one lone exception of a really good movie.

Glad I already have HBO and didn't pay for a subscription to HBO Max or for a movie theater ticket.

-b.

Will definitely ditch HBO Max before the free week is up....but I will still have a month free of HBO, which is odd.....anyways, already seen everything I wanted on HBO, right now it just seems like a waste of money for either streaming service...wont get interested again until the GoT sequel starts

I remember this trailer....cool use of an iconic 80's song....classic bait and switch.....were there even any 80's songs in the movie?  Why even make a big deal calling it WW84?

It is ironic that we also recently received the bait and switch treatment with the Rogue Squadron tease......OT X-wing prominently shown only to find out that the movie will take place after the ST......at least they are not playing the long con game with this one...lol