The Official Moscato Hobby Models Thread

On 8/31/2021 at 11:53 AM, tekering said:

Highlloyder.jpg.d0df30f6f19b673858e4e29bf8c62789.jpg

I would've totally asked to use your pic for the contest poster, but as you'll most likely be participating, I also understand the need to remain impartial.

Guys, I have a small favor to ask: can you go troll Brett on the Return2KitForm Facebook page and ask him to be a judge for the contest? It would really mean a lot. ^_^

• 3 months later...

So @captain america now that the Horizont and contest has been completed what is next on the work bench? I'd like to re-nominate the Gigamesh. 😉

On 8/12/2021 at 11:38 AM, Boobytrap said:

Hey Captain, what would it take to get a gigmesh from Macross II? Is this something you would even consider? I think we have a few Macross fans around here so we could probably scrape together a few interested parties.

gigamesh-feff.gif.86fde2db99a994c00d57e5f2e1c8c425.gif

• 1 year later...

Okayama City is about to see more Moscato than Japan has ever seen before!  🤯

Moscatocontent.jpg.18b4784eb9279a1ecf932325c97a0c4e.jpg

Our annual exhibit features hundreds of individual works from over 50 local model makers, and they've promised me a position of prominence for my debut presentation. ☺️

That's the greatest lineup of built kits I've ever seen. That is such a great photo! Okayama City is about to get more than their fair share of Moscato, indeed.

Please take and post as many pictures of the displayed kits at the show as you can!

3 hours ago, Big s said:

I could see why they would get that impression

You assume Japanese modellers would already be aware of Robotech, which I doubt...

tekeringsdisplay.jpg.559a174bbb3c4089a2586abf0fa8909e.jpg

I felt I should educate them. 🤓

Zentraediside.jpg.dfc614646a5d104f2b43c99466d5de57.jpg

My iPad ran a slide show featuring clips, line art, and animation model sheets representing each of the mecha included in my display. 

Mospeadaside.jpg.4d0b1e9f49fc42c91b96991d67df3bb5.jpg

They were kind enough to make room for my models in the center of the gallery space. ☺️

19 hours ago, captain america said:

Id be curious to know how your exhibit was received by the locals.

Well, the Mospeada models appealed most to the general public, with their bright, solid primary colors and relatable human figures.  Their anime-accuracy was easy to demonstrate, as was the effort that went into painting EXO's little 3D prints.

The hardcore model makers were far more excited by the Zentraedi mecha, however.  Several expressed appreciation (and even jealousy) for the N-Ger and Q-Rau, and I received specific questions and compliments regarding the paints I'd used.  A couple of modelers were surprised to even see a Gnerl kit.

Comparatively few showed any interest or appreciation for the Bioroids, except for a couple of older gentlemen who'd remembered seeing Southern Cross during its initial television broadcast in '84.  In fact, the only three people who talked to me about them each independently asked me the same question; you can probably guess what it was...

Spoiler

Why no Spartas? 🤔

19 hours ago, captain america said:

Did that woman in purple/blue just pick-up Norbert Gerard's head? :shok:

Yeah, there were plenty of "Don't touch" signs scattered around the tables, but I don't think Korean visitors like her could read Japanese even as well as I can... 🙄

14 hours ago, Big s said:

I get the feeling that Megafoce isn’t as much of a joke overseas 

Megaforce?  I had to Google that. 😅

I thought Moderoid's TAC-COM was something from a '70s Japanese TV show, like Ultraman or something.  It certainly has the same aesthetic sensibilities.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Comparatively few showed any interest or appreciation for the Bioroids, except for a couple of older gentlemen who'd remembered seeing Southern Cross during its initial television broadcast in '84.  In fact, the only three people who talked to me about them each independently asked me the same question; you can probably guess what it was...

Where on earth did you get those derivative Zakus from?!? :lol:

6 hours ago, tekering said:

Megaforce?  I had to Google that. 😅

I thought Moderoid's TAC-COM was something from a '70s Japanese TV show, like Ultraman or something.  It certainly has the same aesthetic sensibilities.

Until recently I had only seen it referred to in shows like Southpark. It came up in the moderoid section. I was finally able to see the movie and it was really bad, but in a way that you can laugh at. It’s seemed so obscure that I am surprised it had a model kit and that people in Japan actually bought it. It makes me wonder if they regard the movie in a very different way than we do, or at least those that have actually seen the movie 

• 1 month later...

Wow!  Congratulations on 20 years, Cap'n! :drinks:

I may want another Pinky myself, if only to make a blue-eyed Battler variant. 🤓

1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

I'd love to see this kit with an improved method for attaching the beam guns

You can mount them on brackets attached to the back (as originally intended), or you can simply drill holes in the head and connect them with brass rods (as pictured above).

On 1/4/2024 at 6:57 PM, Convectuoso said:

Will this be an exact reissue? I'd love to see this kit with an improved method for attaching the beam guns

There have been 2 types of beam gun mounts. The original issue came with plain, cylindrical types (seen just below the lower hull) of the pic at left. I then decided to cast extra bicep parts to use as gun mounts for the next batch of kits, because they fit far better with the overall aesthetic (right). The 20th anniversary kit will have the latter, as well as the updated sensor-eye.

image.png.7839cd4601ca08a731777a16096f68c4.png