The Official Moscato Hobby Models Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m really just joking around. I bet they’ll look great. I guess it was since the first teaser pic looked like a happy couple that we’re looking forward to a great life together, then they decided to add a third into the mix to spice things up in the second teaser and now they’ve separated and there’s some regret and really bad blood.

I’m sure knowing your skill from what I’ve seen these will be amazing and can’t wait to see more.

• 2 weeks later...

After several months of teasing, I'm proud to present my new mecha creation: the M-72 Gabriel Heavy Infantry Armor Unit. It was actually  designed all the way back in 1992, and put into cold storage for almost 25 years. Earlier this year, I dusted off my old sketches, dived headlong into research mode and proceeded to update and refine the unit into something more real-world.

Beyond being just a concept, it's also a 1/48 resin kit: all the patterns have been created and the molds are done. In the next few months ahead of its March 2020 release, I'll be working on and presenting at least one ( hopefully two) different tactical color schemes/markings for the unit, and unveiling more of its features, weapons systems and  battle tactics. This will also mark a new stage for Moscato Hobby Models, with original kit designs that feature more refined product images and packaging. 

The Gabriel unit shown below is the M-72B Marines version, which is visually identical the Alpha unit used by the Army.

Also, since Macrossworld is my spiritual Mecha-mecca, I decided to unveil the project here first.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 11.42.52 AM.png

11 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Nice! It's great to finally be able to talk about this one. With 8 hard points I am VERY interetsed in seeing what the AME is. :yahoo:

- Brett

Three of those hard points are usually used for ammo magazines, so with the mag in the rifle it has 40 tank-killer rounds. One hard point is reserved for a directed energy weapon and the two on the back mount the smoke grenade launchers.

• 4 weeks later...

More M-72 Gabriel goodness! I went with the look of a defence contractor's brochure, at least for the initial presentation, to give the mecha and the series a little extra depth. Real-world specs and RHA penetration capabilities will remain 'classified' for the time being... Just like with real-world weapons.

Short version: the soldier locks onto the target with the E-13, when the trigger is depressed, the EMP emitter fires a controlled pulse to disable the enemy APS system, and a fraction of a second later, the projectile is fired.

E13 RIFLE.jpg

E13 RIFLE 2.jpg

Edited by captain america

5 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Your such a fanboy. Everyone knows that Rentheon used the profits from secret Chemtrail programs to pay off the Stonecutters to win the E-13 contract.

Directed energy weapons would have been a much better choice than kinetic penetrators.

:ph34r:

Shhhh! You're blowing my cover, bro. :ph34r:

Actually, someone was kind enough to point-out that mW = milliwatts, while MW = megawatts.

**Pulls E-13 trigger, watches projectile fall lifelessly out the barrel and lawn-dart into the ground directly below**  ...I think I need more power.

:lol::lol:

Directed energy weapons are there too, though they play a slightly different role. 

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Episode 42 of the Scale Model Podcast is out. If you want to understand why my new mecha design looks the way it does, you need to listen to this!

https://scalemodelpodcast.com/podcast/scale-model-podcast-ep-42-john-moscato-part-duex/

I've also uploaded the instruction files for the new kit on Facebook, for those who want a look. There are too many plates to upload here (36) so I'll just leave you with the painting guide.

M72 gabriel painting guide.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello,

I saw where you pointed someone to this thread for proposed model kit projects.  Here is a subject that might be fun.  Granted there isn't much reference material but this may be an opportunity to flesh out the details by "Moscatofication" and may be fun, and I'm curious what you'd do with it.    I'm thinking of the 2007 Legioss with or without the Dread2.  The Dread2 appears to be a reimagined Tread.  Not certain what to make of the Dread1 in the below image as it appears to show it connected to the 1984 Legioss but doesn't look anything like the Tread (Anyone able to translate the text on this page?)

A set of the P-51 Mustang, the F-18 Hornet, the 1984 Legioss, and the 2007 Legioss all in the same scale would also make for a very interesting display piece.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Carl

5eae12086ff161bc9d0fdfac5f74c2a1.jpg

2 hours ago, wwwmwww said:

Hello,

I saw where you pointed someone to this thread for proposed model kit projects.  Here is a subject that might be fun.  Granted there isn't much reference material but this may be an opportunity to flesh out the details by "Moscatofication" and may be fun, and I'm curious what you'd do with it.    I'm thinking of the 2007 Legioss with or without the Dread2.  The Dread2 appears to be a reimagined Tread.  Not certain what to make of the Dread1 in the below image as it appears to show it connected to the 1984 Legioss but doesn't look anything like the Tread (Anyone able to translate the text on this page?)

A set of the P-51 Mustang, the F-18 Hornet, the 1984 Legioss, and the 2007 Legioss all in the same scale would also make for a very interesting display piece.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Carl

Dread 2 is interesting but I'm not sure we can find enough people to pay for this

Edited by varitechs

4 hours ago, varitechs said:

Dread 2 is interesting but I'm not sure we can find enough people to pay for this

That echoes my thoughts on the subject. The sketchy, imprecise rendering and the lack of alternate views means I'd have to spend lots of time engineering something physical that I suspect too few people would be ready to pay for.

1 hour ago, Boobytrap said:

Hey Captain, what would it take to get a gigmesh from Macross II? Is this something you would even consider? I think we have a few Macross fans around here so we could probably scrape together a few interested parties.

gigamesh-feff.gif.86fde2db99a994c00d57e5f2e1c8c425.gif

I'd tackle it. I think over the years I've proven my competence in translating line-art into three dimensions. Can't be worse than the old B-Club sculpt, which looks like a Happy Meal toy. The critical factor is demand... And available reference material. In that order.

4 minutes ago, captain america said:

I'd tackle it. I think over the years I've proven my competence in translating line-art into three dimensions. Can't be worse than the old B-Club sculpt, which looks like a Happy Meal toy. The critical factor is demand... And available reference material. In that order.

OOOOoooooo... Well I certainly would be interested. I'd try to swing three if you also included parts to make the grunt (blue) version as well. Would now be a good time to see the desire from others or do you have enough on your plate that it would be best to wait a little bit?

2 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

OOOOoooooo... Well I certainly would be interested. I'd try to swing three if you also included parts to make the grunt (blue) version as well. Would now be a good time to see the desire from others or do you have enough on your plate that it would be best to wait a little bit?

Let me concentrate on the Horizont for now. When that's done, we can revisit it.

8 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Maybe after the Horizon you could post a poll on what project to tackle next, as long as the people voting commit to buying the kits

I'd rather we just test demand on Tober's Boobytrap's proposal.

IMG-20210803-WA0003.jpg.585e7e486643988f33b1284f70da52d6.jpg

First come first served.

Edited by Podtastic

• 3 weeks later...