The Official Moscato Hobby Models Thread

Hi everyone!

I decided to make a single thread in which I can keep people appraised of my future projects, links to my previous works, a place to post your MOSCATO HOBBY kit builds, and pretty much everything else related to my works. Links to previous projects will be added to this first post over time to help you find my older stuff.

1/48 Pinky Space Crab build:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/40117-mo-suu-pii-dah-inbitoh-in-148/

1/48 Blueberry Space Crab build:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/40692-mo-suu-pii-dah-inbitoh-in-148-part-deux/

1/48 KING CRAB build:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/41380-mo-suu-pii-dah-goh-suu-in-148/

1/48 BABY CRABB build:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/41380-mo-suu-pii-dah-goh-suu-in-148/

1/48 BUSTER build:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/42190-148-mospeada-legioss-solider-alpha-battloid-kit/

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

The following section deals with frequently-asked questions. It is advised that you read this before sending me a message/question, as it has likely already been addressed. If you don’t receive a reply, it’s because the subject has already been covered here in one form or another.

Please be respectful of my time and attention, and I will show you the same courtesy.

Q: hey bro, you’re a really good modeler! I have an old RX-78 kit that my grandma got me a few years ago, can you build it for me?

A: I charge $40/hr CAD for my work. Building even a simple plastic/resin kit to any degree of competent finish requires at minimum 20-ish hours (and usually much, MUCH more) so you’ll have to decide if it’s worth it for you. I quote projects based on an estimated completion time, and require a 20% deposit. NO exceptions. This applies to my own garage kits also.

Q: do your kits come with assembly/painting instructions?

A: yes! I don’t print paper instructions, but rather create .jpg files of the instructions which you can download, re-size and print as needed. This minimizes paper waste and transcends the resolution limitations that most printed instructions are bound by.

Q: can you send me a copy of the 3D files you used to make XXX model? I really want to 3D print my own.

A: How would you like it if I came to your place of business and asked you to work 1-2 weeks for me for no pay?… That’s what I thought. Secondly, all my models are mastered by hand, using only basic computer-generated vector templates, so there are no 3D files to speak of. 

Q: duuude, do you sell pre-built/painted versions of your models?

A: no.

Q: Your work looks cool, how much do your kits cost?

A: there are photographs of all my currently-available kits, their names and prices in the PICTURES section. Please take a moment to look them over carefully. Kits come unbuilt and unassembled. Prices do not include shipping, which is determined based on the serviced used and your location.

Q: I don’t see the kit I want listed.

A: that means it’s out-of-production and therefore not available.

Q: will XXX kit ever be available again?

A: I generally take a public poll to determine interest before re-issuing a given model. If there’s sufficient demand, I may issue another run, but no guarantees. Garage kits are like wild flowers: here today, gone the next. If you really want something, grab it while it’s available because it may never be issued again.

Q: how do I order models from you?

A: simply send me a private message regarding the model(s) you’re interested in, along with your name + shipping location. I will generally post shipping charges for the most popular destinations publicly, so please consult that info first. The rates I quote are for trackable services. If you agree, we can proceed to payment. 

When making a payment, please be sure that you provide:

-your full name

-full shipping address

-phone number (for customs)

-the name and quantity of kits ordered

I get a lot of orders and I can’t always remember who ordered what, so help me help you.

Q: how long before my order is shipped?

A: in-stock items will ship within 3 business days of the order. Pre-orders, by their very nature, imply that much of the fabrication process is as yet incomplete, and may take several weeks. If there are important delays beyond the stated estimated timeframe, I will make a public announcement.

Q: do you offer combined shipping?

A: yes, of course! Especially when you order several, dissimilar items.

Q: I live overseas and the shipping is expensive! Do you offer cheaper shipping?

A: I quote based on trackable shipping methods. There are cheaper alternatives, but they don’t have tracking/delivery confirmation. If you select this option, I assume no liability for the delivery, intact or otherwise, of your order. 

Q: I placed my order yesterday but it hasn't arrived yet. Does my package come with tracking?

A: I generally ship via trackable service, but I don't always provide the tracking info right off the bat, simply because I have a heavy workload. Delivery times can range from 5 days to 5 months, depending on the location. If your package doesn't arrive within the alotted time suggested by your local post office, send me a private message and I can provide the tracking details at that point. 

Q: I really love XXX mecha, I think if you made a kit of it, it would be really popular and sell like crazy! Can you make it?

A: depending on the complexity of a given design, it can take anywhere from 100 to 500 hours to scratchbuild a set of masters for a given model. The investment in time, materials and capital are significant. Therefore, I will determine for myself whether a given mecha is worth making as a kit. You are at liberty to make suggestions, but ultimately I decide if I’m going to make it or not.

Q: can I go asking around to see if anyone is interested in you building XXX garage kit so that I can get orders for you to build it?

A: NO! If you want to gather orders for a specific scratchbuild project that I would be working on, consult with me first! It’s all too easy to be  impulsive and misconstrew terms, make bold/unrealistic promises and use verbage that can lead to very real legal problems. I’m not opposed to you doing the leg-work to gather interest, but consult with me first and I will determine the specifics that you can cite for interested parties. 

I reserve the right to disavow/blackball anyone who does not abide by these guidelines and assume no liability for said conduct.

Edited by captain america

Also, since I'm slowly coming back out of retirement...

I had posted this back in the MOSPEADA thread a few weeks ago, but I may as well make it official: I intend to make an upgrade set for the Sentinel 1/12 MOSPEADA figures which will include the following:

-RPG launcher as seen in Aramaki-san's illustration

-saddle-packs for the Ride-Mode MOSPEADA (3pcs)

-Water bottle/canteen

-a GALLANT H90

-A dash panel decal/sticker... Because the toy is rather plain in that respect.

Price is still tentative, but pretty sure the set will be under $50 USD. 

1 hour ago, captain america said:

Also, since I'm slowly coming back out of retirement...

I had posted this back in the MOSPEADA thread a few weeks ago, but I may as well make it official: I intend to make an upgrade set for the Sentinel 1/12 MOSPEADA figures which will include the following:

-RPG launcher as seen in Aramaki-san's illustration

-saddle-packs for the Ride-Mode MOSPEADA (3pcs)

-Water bottle/canteen

-a GALLANT H90

-A dash panel decal/sticker... Because the toy is rather plain in that respect.

Price is still tentative, but pretty sure the set will be under $50 USD. 

Under $50 is great news for me, Cap'n! ^_^

Following the thread now.

Edited by no3Ljm

On 5/14/2018 at 2:47 PM, no3Ljm said:

Under $50 is great news for me, Cap'n! ^_^

Following the thread now.

I'm in.  Is this the thread to throw my hat in?  Or the general Mospeada thread?  I didn't see one specifically for this upgrade set project.  Maybe I missed it. 

Hey Cap'n. Quick question. Is there any option out there that I can look or maybe include in your set bundle for the Riobot 1/12 Mospeada to make Ley's gun nozzle a little bit longer? Like I could just insert it with the existing nozzle hole just to make it longer kind-of thing. I just find his gun's nozzle too short for my taste.

39 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey Cap'n. Quick question. Is there any option out there that I can look or maybe include in your set bundle for the Riobot 1/12 Mospeada to make Ley's gun nozzle a little bit longer? Like I could just insert it with the existing nozzle hole just to make it longer kind-of thing. I just find his gun's nozzle too short for my taste.

You bring up an interesting topic. In my estimation, the beam weapon that was included with the Ray figure is too small as compared to the illustration, and the figure looks silly using it as a pea-shooter without the armor. I always thought of that gun as a fairly heavy unit (too heavy for an unenhanced soldier to wield) having enough punch to breach the armor of even a Gurab. I'm actually considering sculpting a better one for the figure. It will increase the cost of the set slightly, but I think it's worthwhile.

20 hours ago, captain america said:

In my estimation, the beam weapon that was included with the Ray figure is too small as compared to the illustration

Let's be honest with ourselves, guys.  We're not complaining about the barrel of Ray's beam weapon because it doesn't match Aramaki's illustration; in fact, it's damned close.

We're complaining because it's so much smaller than the original Artmic designs we know and love.

honesty.jpg.df68fb2503e7a5093ed2d93a871431fc.jpg

I'm sure what we're all hoping for -- and what we can expect our good Cap'n to deliver -- is a clip-on barrel that matches the size and shape of the classic Mospeada line art (along with a Mars Gallant H-90 sidearm, "saddle bags," and maybe even an HBT canister), matching the original Artmic designs as closely as possible... right?

Actually... I was referring to the "upper receiver" area where they omitted the brackets and shortened it on the figure vs. the line-art. I'm guessing that the circular cut-out at the back is a concession made to fit on the bike's wheel. Regardless, I can do some creative cheating to make the gun unit look a tad more impressive. Whether that means a longer barrel or not remains to be seen. Possibly a slightly beefier stock barrel interchangeable with a larger unit to impress the ladies. :lol:

Wondering if there would be a decent enough amount of us old timers who have the Beagle bikes that would justify a 2nd run, as we would love the same juicy extra bits and bots that are going to made for Sentinal bikes...  Cap?  In other words, the parts in 1:10 scale.

Edited by derex3592

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Wondering if there would be a decent enough amount of us old timers who have the Beagle bikes that would justify a 2nd run, as we would love the same juicy extra bits and bots that are going to made for Sentinal bikes...  Cap?  In other words, the parts in 1:10 scale.

I'm going to concentrate on the Sentinel figures for now. If it can be determined that there's demand for Beagle stuff at a later time, I can accomodate. Be warned, though: I have a far more ambitious project in mind for next year.

9 minutes ago, captain america said:

I'm going to concentrate on the Sentinel figures for now. If it can be determined that there's demand for Beagle stuff at a later time, I can accomodate. Be warned, though: I have a far more ambitious project in mind for next year.

A 1/6th scale transforming Ride Armors? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys, to inaugurate the new thread I leave some images of my last construction, still lacking the varnish but you can already get an idea of the project. I upload the final images along with the pinky when finished Greetings!

IMG_20180712_210728.jpg

IMG_20180712_210742.jpg

IMG_20180712_210755.jpg

IMG_20180712_210802.jpg

IMG_20180712_210813.jpg

IMG_20180712_210843.jpg

IMG_20180712_211752.jpg

Edited by EmilianoAlfaro
Edit pictures

15 hours ago, tekering said:

Looks like nice, clean work... from what I can see.

If you have a light source in front of your subject -- as opposed to above it -- the figure wouldn't be so obscured by shadows.  B))

:D Fast pictures from a phone camera

So as promised, I'm making a quick update for my latest project, which is an update set for the Sentinel 1/12 MOSPEADA. Aside from the saddle-packs which I will be making, I also elected to include both a Gallant pistol and rifle, the RPG launcher, as well as some other goodies. I've already done some basic work as an attempt to size the rifle properly, which proves to be more of a challenge than I initially thought.

*RANT MODE ON*

For the love of mother f**king C*rist, you'd think that those F&%#$# designers could handle designing something as simple and pedestriant as a f?$*! rifle, but NOOOO!!! I mean for f#%*k's sake, the only way they could have made this thing LESS ergonomic would have been to incorporate barbed-wire into the grip! The stock is waaaay too long and you have to make the pistol the size of a small pizza box just to get an adult human hand into the grip opening! I swear, nothing burns my a$$ more than sloppy, LAZY design work! :angry::angry::angry:

*RANT MODE OFF*

So as with pretty much every other Anime-related project, I've had to resort to some creative-redesigning to make this thing work with an actual human figure, without actually butchering the aesthetics. I think I've managed to do a decent job in the process, but you be the judge.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

I'm definitely down for two sets. Not providing these (especially the weapons) was a major miss on Sentinels part.

This may be too early of a question but if Sentinel releases Yellow or Fuke (and doesn't include these weapons/accessories again) would you do another run? Trying to think through if I would need to get more than two sets of this initial release to have the weapons variety I want.

9 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

I'm definitely down for two sets. Not providing these (especially the weapons) was a major miss on Sentinels part.

This may be too early of a question but if Sentinel releases Yellow or Fuke (and doesn't include these weapons/accessories again) would you do another run? Trying to think through if I would need to get more than two sets of this initial release to have the weapons variety I want.

Demand will dictate whether or not there is more than one run. It's very possible that Sentinel will wake-up and decide to release those options with future releases. Normally I'd think that was a no-brainer, but given how cheap toy manufacturers are lately, it's still very much a crap-shoot.

Nice! :good: 

By the way, Cap. Quick question. Would you be able to make another version of the Gallant with the buttstock but without the muzzle just like what Ley carries? Assuming that the muzzle part is built-in rather than removable. Thanks in advance. ^_^ 

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Nice! :good: 

By the way, Cap. Quick question. Would you be able to make another version of the Gallant with the buttstock but without the muzzle just like what Ley carries? Assuming that the muzzle part is built-in rather than removable. Thanks in advance. ^_^ 

I'd be reticent to add a third Gallant, just because it adds to the price (planned $65 CAD), and that for an option that probably few people will want. Right now the set will (tentatively) include:

-Gallant pistol

-Gallant rifle w/sling

-RPG launcher w/clear targeting lenses

-Saddle-packs (side, 2pcs)

-Saddle-pack (rear, can be built open or closed)

-Water cantine and misc. supplies

-dash panel and weapons markings decal