(Geneon Signature Series)

aarbain

From what I have read and also from the Geneon/Pioneer Sig series that I have bought so far, there is no difference. Its basically a repacking of the same DVD at a cheaper price. Similar to PS2 greatest hits titles.

Rob :ph34r:

Exactly, they are just resoliciting older titles again with lower price points. Lain, Sailor Moon, Trigun, Tenchi, and some other titles are seeing the price reduction, subsequent volumes will also come in time.

PS2's greatest hits is a pretty close comparison.

The thing is, 19.99 IS the MSRP for most of the Signature series, so stores that are charging that are actually overcharging. The original MSRP's were 29.99 like the majority of anime titles, though they can always be found for cheaper. Others MSRP for 24.99.

Best buy has been very off lately. Some anime discs have been normal price, but they have been sneaking higher prices in lately, and I can't fathom why. Their anime sections have gotten better than they have ever been, and now they try to raise prices? Example: they just kicked Chobits up to 29.99, each of all 6 volumes out. There was still a vol. 2 with a 22.99 tag on the shelf, all the rest were raised. Then they "accidentally" charged 33.99 for Last Exile Vol.1, without the box. And yes, the one here had the Geneon Signatures for the 19.99 price point. I don't know what their game is lately. I do all my anime pre-orders online at Right Stuf, but it was nice to have Best Buy as a fallback for existing discs, so I wouldn't have to use DVD Planet as much like I did during my time in Utah, where there was no Best Buy.

Online you should be able to find them for 15 bucks. A Pioneer/Geneon studio sale at right stuff will kick ass once more of these discs come out.

Edited by Anubis

Yeap, Best Buy tends to overcharge on anime DVDs.  They figured otakus would pay through the nose for anime crack.  Unlike sensible consumers.  :D

It's a shame too, because they used to be very reasonable on discs. They never charged more than 25 bucks, usually 20-22. They still price all their regular DVD's properly. Some of the anime disc+box releases are still decently priced too.

IT'S DISCRIMINATION I TELL YOU :p

My anime dollars will just have to stay online is all.

Edited by Anubis

They price regular discs decently because there are a lot of competitions out there.

When more stores start carrying anime DVDs then they'll have to face the market reality too.

Don't you hate it when you ask why something you're looking for is not in stock, they tell you to order it from their online store? :angry:

They price regular discs decently because there are a lot of competitions out there.

When more stores start carrying anime DVDs then they'll have to face the market reality too.

Don't you hate it when you ask why something you're looking for is not in stock, they tell you to order it from their online store?  :angry:

Which it isn't in stock online usually either, and if it is, it's the same price as the store. Might as well buy it from DVD Planet anyway. It's a shame, they used to be so good with the anime section. Now, when they have a huge anime section, over double what they had last year in store, they start to want too much for the discs. :( <_< :angry:

At least they price regular movies very good still. I'll go there for that at least.

Edited by Anubis

Well, I don't shop at BestBuy or Suncrap, but Fry's is selling the Signature Series titles for $14.99 and the Signature Series movies (like the Tenchi movies) for $10 in retail.

Here's a partial listing of the current Signature Series releases: http://www.pioneeranimation.com/search.php...view=newrelease

The only caveat from these re-releases that I know of is that the Tenchi-OVA Signature Series is only audio-2.0, whereas the Ultimate Edition is in audio-5.1. Trigun's always been audio-2.0 in the original, iirc.

Oh, yeah. The packaging cover-designs really looks like the corny Playstation2 Greatest Hits games as you can see from the attachment.

post-26-1074188275_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

Well, I don't shop at BestBuy or Suncrap, but Fry's is selling the Signature Series titles for $14.99 and the Signature Series movies (like the Tenchi movies) for $10 in retail.

Yeah, Fry's has cheap DVDs, but their customer service is crap (especially here in Burbank, where the salespeople don't speak English) and majority of their computer parts are used. And you don't want to go there during the holidays, where you can see the Great Wall of Returns (which goes all the way to the electric car parking lot).

"You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

I guess it depends on the location. I heard of horror-stories about Fry's, but I guess we're a bit lucky here the two branches here in SD have very good customer-service/returns stuff than any of the local Bestbuy, Circuit City, or GoodGuys. I know coz I've returned some stuff and there weren't any hassle at all compared to the hassles BB and the others have given me throughout the years.

At any rate, Fry's is known to sell used stuff, but the DVD's (especially anime-dvd's) are genuinely always new at Fry's with pretty good pricing.