Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

12 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It’s siloed on the surface of a planet at the start, so air resistance does matter some.

I don't remember that from the show. I thought it was on her dads space yacht monstrosity when they came in contact the first time. Was it different in the books? It's been sop long since I read those first few books I can't remember.

51 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I don't remember that from the show. I thought it was on her dads space yacht monstrosity when they came in contact the first time. Was it different in the books? It's been sop long since I read those first few books I can't remember.

I’m pretty sure you are correct. It was in the Hangar of Mao’s ship. He couldn’t part with his daughters favorite thing. 

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
15 minutes ago, BKPMacross said:

I heard that Eaglemoss has filed for bankruptcy (or whatever the equivalent is in the UK).   I have a couple of pre orders open with them.  Wondering what will happen there.  Looks like their website is broken as well. 

Administration is the British term.

Wow, wonder if that mess of an Enterprise build-up did them in?  I don't entirely regret trying to get in on that, but I got the clear impression for a while that the people who designed that disaster had no idea what they were doing, and had probably never built any 1701-D in any format in their lives.

Hadn't even begun it, since I was going to wait and see what they did to mount the saucer before bailing and sending the whole mess back to them, but I might just be stuck with a pile of parts and electronics at this point.  I'm actually curious whether anyone has actually completed it, or how close they are.

Edited by Chronocidal

Bankruptcy is kind of a loose thing, there are a ton of different styles out there and doesn't really mean they're going to go out of business. Really it just means they're going to perform some kind of a stunt that gets them assistance in funding probably. 

Well.... I'd been wondering why they were having so many sales lately... Guess that answers my question. I just recently picked up what I guess will be my last EM ship, from Discovery, a Klingon??? 🤔 ship. Ok. Whatever. The Star Trek Online Klingon ships ARE cool however. Now I couldn't care less about Disco, haven't even ever watched past Season 1,(uhhggg) and would never pay full price for anything from the show, but some of the ships are cool IMHO. Not for Star Trek, but just as "cool space ships". This one for example has something Macrossy about it to my eye... Maybe like along Zentradi lines or something. Whatever, I got it for $18 shipped. 

20220715_063049.jpg

20220715_063059.jpg

20220715_063111.jpg

20220715_063131.jpg

@derex3592 That is an interesting looking ship. Better than the other Klingon designs, as in it doesn't look like it comes from Star Trek so you can put into a different 'universe.' Heck, break it in two and rotate both fifty degrees and you'll have two ships!:good:

As to Disco, I will say that Season 2 was actually pretty good. Better than Season 1, though neither was as bad as Season 3.

On 7/14/2022 at 1:16 AM, JB0 said:

Does the stunt involve them improving quality control? Because I can't be the only person that wanted some of their products but thought it was far too much to pay for a dice roll.

Good question, and the answer is no, infact if anything,  it'll probably get worse. If any sort of buyer takes over chances are they'll wanna cut corners to make more money in any way they can using cheaper materials and paint while upping prices and maybe even doing exclusives. That's sort of one of many things that did TRU in and one of the biggest, inflation costs causing them to raise prices and attempting to land exclusive deals for certain toy lines only to be scalped and charged 3-5x's the price online. 

7 hours ago, Hikuro said:

Good question, and the answer is no, infact if anything,  it'll probably get worse. If any sort of buyer takes over chances are they'll wanna cut corners to make more money in any way they can using cheaper materials and paint while upping prices and maybe even doing exclusives. That's sort of one of many things that did TRU in and one of the biggest, inflation costs causing them to raise prices and attempting to land exclusive deals for certain toy lines only to be scalped and charged 3-5x's the price online. 

Depends which way they go.  Letting go of a lot of properties and only keeping the few really lucrative ones and then putting what little you save into better qc might actually work.  Depending on what their actual problem is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad I got their books from the Humble Bundle sale a while ago. Physical books are better but I don't have the space for them (and they are so low on my priority list). Would have taken me ages to get to them, and would probably go out of print by then.

On 7/28/2022 at 5:41 AM, Lolicon said:

I watched this video and disagreed with his stance the customer service was bad.  Gave examples how I had to have basically every model ordered replaced with something that wasn't broken.  The guy likes to come off as reasonable in the video but is really quite an a-hole if you don't agree, claimed my (his claim) one instance wasn't evidence despite the fact I had to have something like thirty models replaced.  Their QC/packaging is the real problem.  Their designers are often sloppy too.

To be fair to Eaglemoss, I've broken almost as many Enterprise models that made as I've read about coming broken from them. :lol:  Trek ships are not the most sturdy product, especially at this size.

But the design and manufacturing were absolutely a mess, judging by the amount of misprints, broken products, and the oddball cases where they just made something that somehow wound up looking like complete garbage.  I'm still convinced they printed the XL Akira aztec panels by running over them with a tractor tire.  Every picture I saw of that ship looked terrible.

I never got into the Trek ships, but I picked up several of the larger BSG ships, and while they're better in terms of durability, they still have a few weird flaws and stupid assembly errors, and it's pretty clear that even with bigger models, they have some serious issues aligning their tampo printing process.  It's just sloppy, and gives the impression that they do not have a functional understanding of how to print markings on curved surfaces.  It's like everything gets stamped from top/bottom, or left/right, and heaven help you if you need something printed on a 45-degree angle, because it's going to be blurry, and stretched approximately 41% in the vertical.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

To be fair to Eaglemoss, I've broken almost as many Enterprise models that made as I've read about coming broken from them. :lol:  Trek ships are not the most sturdy product, especially at this size.

But the design and manufacturing were absolutely a mess, judging by the amount of misprints, broken products, and the oddball cases where they just made something that somehow wound up looking like complete garbage.  I'm still convinced they printed the XL Akira aztec panels by running over them with a tractor tire.  Every picture I saw of that ship looked terrible.

I never got into the Trek ships, but I picked up several of the larger BSG ships, and while they're better in terms of durability, they still have a few weird flaws and stupid assembly errors, and it's pretty clear that even with bigger models, they have some serious issues aligning their tampo printing process.  It's just sloppy, and gives the impression that they do not have a functional understanding of how to print markings on curved surfaces.  It's like everything gets stamped from top/bottom, or left/right, and heaven help you if you need something printed on a 45-degree angle, because it's going to be blurry, and stretched approximately 41% in the vertical.

The one that baffles me is how they managed to consistently get every single Constitution Class Refit wrong.  Especially the XL version with the complete lack of sensor bands around the saucer.  It's one of the most prominent features of the ship and they just left it off.

I was recently gifted 2 ships from Eaglemoss that were larger in size, maybe XL not real familiar with this manufacturer.    Both seemed to be fairly well made but had some obvious defects but nothing I would not expect from a mass produced item.      I feel for my cousin though who was building the Enterprise D,  or to be specific was collecting the volumes to maybe one day build the Enterprise D.    

1 hour ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I feel for my cousin though who was building the Enterprise D,  or to be specific was collecting the volumes to maybe one day build the Enterprise D.    

He can still build the Ent-D as she appeared in the end of Generations!

2 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I was recently gifted 2 ships from Eaglemoss that were larger in size, maybe XL not real familiar with this manufacturer.    Both seemed to be fairly well made but had some obvious defects but nothing I would not expect from a mass produced item.      I feel for my cousin though who was building the Enterprise D,  or to be specific was collecting the volumes to maybe one day build the Enterprise D.    

15 minutes ago, JB0 said:

He can still build the Ent-D as she appeared in the end of Generations!

Glad I quickly cancelled my subscription to that build-an-Enterprise D. I really was excited for it, but I'm glad my apprehension won out in the end.

I'm bummed because it was at least nice to have a company producing ships from Star Trek.

-b.

Some stuff from Eaglemoss was excellent: XL Excelsior, XL D-7 K’T’Inga, and all of the Star Trek Online ships I got because they looked nifty. 

Some stuff was just bad, like the Probert Concept Enterprise-C that had half its tampo missing, or the USS Aventine that was awesome… except that they didn’t paint the blue warp grilles on the nacelles, and its massive main deflector was a monochrome blue. Had to get a decal for that. Their tiny USS Centaur was superb though, beautifully built with perfect paint. 
The last thing I bought from them, the Lower Decks USS Titan, was very well made  

So I dunno. They seem to have had an “A team factory” and “everyone else” and it was kinda random which ship would get made by which. 

Kinda ticked I won’t get a copy of the USS Bonaventure though. Awesome design I wasn’t even aware of until it sold out and they never restocked. 

The odd ball stuff from them was always pretty good as well.  The larger space stations were all very nice if caught on sale.  Also at a DEEP discount, the Discovery ships were very nicely done. I have zero regrets on all those I got along with the Star Trek Online ships. 

• 5 months later...

So THIS is interesting.

ss(2023-02-09at08_49.06).png.0d6402180a0e3dea3c1462140bf5cef5.png

This just showed up in my junk folder today.  I'm not getting my hopes up, but I would love to see them finish off some of the stuff Eaglemoss left hanging.

Edit: Apparently the unsold stock is winding up with Master Replicas, while the build-up projects will be handed off to DeAgostini.

Edited by Chronocidal

Yeah, they apparently went through a whole heap of disastrous management unfortunately.  I don't know what to really think, since it looks like they're not continuing the line, only liquidating remaining stock.

I'm more concerned with the Enterprise D build-up, since I did decide to try that, and have been lamenting the pile of unopened boxes for those kits (though the bonus shuttle models are actually pretty nice). 

Frankly, I'm still very concerned about that build, because despite all of the images they showed of the "finished" product, I have incredible doubts about the construction.  I've watched people doing the build-up, and it's very clear that the people who designed that project had no freaking clue what they were doing.  It's like they've never actually built an Enterprise D model in their lives, because it's rather apparent that there is absolutely no structural connection between the saucer and lower hull at all.. they just expect it to snap on somehow?  The only way to display it is going to be separately supporting the parts to make it look like they're connected, and the way it is full of individual battery boxes powering every segment just screams at me to scrap the majority of the electronics, and redesign the lighting and power scheme from the ground up.  It's just bizarre.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 7 months later...