Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

On 12/10/2020 at 5:53 PM, Sanity is Optional said:

Looks like Eaglemoss is doing a subscription kit for the enterprise D.

$4.95 for the first 2 issues.

$15.35 for the rest of the issues (3-120, incl shipping). 4/Month release (~2.5 years)

$1816.25 total cost.

https://en-us.eaglemoss.com/hero-collector/star-trek/uss-enterprise-buildup

listed at 27inches long, so larger than the chronicles one was supposed to be.

Just took the leap. :D

-b.

Ouch.. for that much, I would have expected them to actually make the art attractive, and get the nacelles lined up.. and paint the stupid impulse exhausts..    What are they trying to do, give you a large scale Playmates replica? :p (They do look painted in some pictures at least.)

I don't think they understand exactly what they're doing when saying it is "designed to look as much like the onscreen version as possible."  Which onscreen version are they talking about?  The pictures they have up are already missing some rather important details, or just getting them wrong.. it really doesn't look right at all, the seams are huge and clunky looking, and the shape looks just off.  :huh: 

Edited by Chronocidal

19 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Ouch.. for that much, I would have expected them to actually make the art attractive, and get the nacelles lined up.. and paint the stupid impulse exhausts..    What are they trying to do, give you a large scale Playmates replica? :p (They do look painted in some pictures at least.)

I don't think they understand exactly what they're doing when saying it is "designed to look as much like the onscreen version as possible."  Which onscreen version are they talking about?  The pictures they have up are already missing some rather important details, or just getting them wrong.. it really doesn't look right at all, the seams are huge and clunky looking, and the shape looks just off.  :huh: 

Amen to all of that! I sincerely hope the finished product looks better than those promo pics.  The Enterprise D is a very hard thing to get right, especially concerning shape, color, lighting and aztecking.  I'll be very curious to see the build up process. 

I actually wonder if the crippling blow to this is going to be it being made of metal.  That's going to do them no favors, in either molding, or construction, because the thing is going to be incredibly heavy, and you're not going to get nice molded detail you'd see in a plastic kit.

Biggest off-putters for me right off the bat are how chunky and segmented the saucer panels look (especially around the bridge), and how ugly the nacelle shapes are.  They look.. well, for lack of a better way to phrase this, they look like hamburgers, and not the good kind.. the kind that someone stepped on to get them to fit into a box.

can see some pretty subtle aztec painting on the hull, so that may turn out better than is clear from the promo, and the idea of getting tons of windows lit up is nice.  I just hope they manage to correct some of the bigger issues before it goes to print... assuming that ship hasn't already sailed.

I agree the biggest challenge will be the sheer weight of the thing. I also wanna see the sheer amount of people whining if if comes with water slide decals you have to put on yourself!  Surely everything will be tampo printed for that price....right??? I'd be livid if they weren't! 

• 4 months later...

For me, I’ve noticed that pretty much every Star Ship has good and bad angles and that last picture above of the Nebula is awesome! The Neb’s look bad ass from that angle!

Chris

Is that better or worse than the Yeager-class?

Anyways, XL Nebula may be my first XL.  (I've ranged from moderately disappointed to very disappointed with pretty much all the other XL's, few really seem to be better than the regulars considering their size/price)

22 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

I really wish they'd gone the extra mile with the XL series and not just set the copier to 75% and hit go. Such a wasted opportunity.  I don't have any as I just can't justify that price. 

What do you mean?

3 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I really wish they'd gone the extra mile with the XL series and not just set the copier to 75% and hit go. Such a wasted opportunity.  I don't have any as I just can't justify that price. 

I sometimes wish they did do that. Their XL Enterprise A or Refit can’t remember which, is a travesty and FAR LESS accurate than the standard ones. An upscale version with better paint would’ve been much better then what they put out.

Chris

The only Eaglemoss releases I have are from BSG, but I considered several of the XL releases when I saw them... and quickly decided against them because the reviews just weren't flattering.  The obnoxious amount of tampo misprints I see across the board has always been a main issue, and the cheap-looking clear plastic in the warp nacelles always stands out to me, because you can see straight through it.  Paint would be a big improvement.

The Enterprise Refit was a special level of WTF with how off-model they made it.  The other I remember seriously considering was the XL Akira, but I could not get past the impression that the way the hull details got printed looked like it had been run over by a tractor tire.  It just looks smeared and dirty, and I'm convinced it's due to the direction the markings are printed from.  It looks like everything is stamped in pure X/Y/Z directions, which is why the markings and windows on the pontoons stretch so badly over the top of the curve.

1278118825_ss(2021-04-29at01_26.59).thumb.jpg.5924f2d668dffadb5bdcc3896572b1e0.jpg

That sort of smeared dirty look works better on something that was always supposed to look weathered, but just looks out of place on Trek ships.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 4 weeks later...

How's the XL Ent-C?  Looks better than most, and I realized that if I reject everything based on "window printing doesn't line up" I'll never have anything.   The Ent-C's window mis-alignment doesn't seem egregious, among the line-up.    

The C’s mold is actually pretty good. I think it is slightly more accurate than the 1/1400 AMT kit for the E-C and not the later Yamaguchi style refit. It’s biggest problem is a pretty bad paint job....particularly the secondary hull. 

Chris

7 hours ago, Dobber said:

It’s biggest problem is a pretty bad paint job....particularly the secondary hull.

Yes, but it's got such a lovely turquoise window in place of the navigational deflector...

window.jpg

I just love how clearly you can see the warp core in there, holding the secondary hull together. :crazy:

Edited by tekering

7 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Is the dish easily removable?

Absolutely not.  Mine wouldn't budge, even after ripping apart the secondary hull... :unsure:

stuck.jpg

7 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Could either frost the backside, or paint it silver.   

Given the dish is glued to the upper part of the secondary hull, the best I could do was mix a similar duck-egg blue color and paint the rest of the interior surface of the dish to match the glued portion along the upper edge.

fixed.jpg

I must say, it looks better as a deflector dish than it did as a window. ^_^

Edited by tekering

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

How much effort to remove the lower engineering hull?

Not much.  The warp pylons are attached to a surface large enough to grip onto and use as a fulcrum, and it's really just a matter of applying enough downward pressure to snap the few plastic rods that hold the engineering hull together.  No big deal. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Nebula XL, the USS Bonchune, in today. I must say that I like it; for the most part the paint is good and the details right. The black windows… some need help.

The magazine has a reasonable amount of how the Nebula class got designed and made; half of it is devoted to the TNG episode where the Nebula class and the Cardassian race got their start, “The Wounded.”

78454A99-844D-4BE6-8F55-C0019E513865.jpeg

79B59927-1B59-4A44-BD95-CEB75DABE647.jpeg

FC491DD7-30EF-4285-A380-F5DD9C686642.jpeg

B3C84445-7026-40BF-BE31-01F5DA7EF079.jpeg

DD38512A-D257-45F0-843A-805D9D72D568.jpeg

F61D5366-CDD0-4517-8574-87C161F8F196.jpeg

The saucer looks like it's not parallel with the nacelles?  Is that a trick of the camera or is it really droopy?
And that "aztec-ing" is really heavy/dark.  Looks more like digital camouflage than the subtle effect I'd expect...trick of the lighting I hope.

Edited by Phyrox

6 hours ago, Phyrox said:

The saucer looks like it's not parallel with the nacelles?  Is that a trick of the camera or is it really droopy?
And that "aztec-ing" is really heavy/dark.  Looks more like digital camouflage than the subtle effect I'd expect...trick of the lighting I hope.

Got mine yesterday as well and no the Aztecing is not subtle. The droopyness may just be because the pylons are a regular plastic and quite bendy…at least this time of year do to the heat. Overall pretty nice but I do wish the Aztec was more subtle.
Also, is the secondary hull correct? On the model the deflector area has the same shape as the Galaxy class but the images of the studio model show a more unique shape. Or was that changed later?

Chris

Edited by Dobber

1 minute ago, Dobber said:

Got mine yesterday as well and no the Aztecing is not subtle. The droopyness may just be because the pylons are a regular plastic and quite bendy…at least this time of year do to the heat. Overall pretty nice but I do wish the Aztec was more subtle.
Also, is the secondary hull correct? On the model the deflector area has the same shape as the Galaxy class but the images of the studio model show a more unique shape. Or was that changed later?

Chris

Changed later as part of the transition from practical models to CGI models. This model represents the Bonchune as seen in the Voyager episode “Message in a Bottle,” and by that time the CG was being used. 

6 hours ago, Phyrox said:

The stand “squeezes” the nacelle pylons into that shape. Out of the stand they’re pretty much dead straight. This is one stand that’s going to be replaced.