Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Bad thing about having these at work, one of my employees came in and starting touching things. Next thing I know 3 have fallen off their stands and hit the ground. OF COURSE it was the very delicate Enterprise J....Yeh that nacelle broke right off.  Another was the Nebula class that the radar dome thing and one nacelle popped off. Easy fix on that one, little glue and all is well. He's already ordered me a new Ent. J.  I need to make a KEEP AWAY sign apparently!  Some of them are very unstable on their stands and very nose heavy. Still..KEEP AWAY FROM MY STUFF ASSHAT! :angry: Freakin millennials! :rolleyes:

Ok boomer.

;)

[edit:] Wait, is it too late to say something like that? It is hard to keep up with the kids nowadays :search:

Edited by Scyla

9 minutes ago, slaginpit said:

or even have your model collection at work. Where do you work Google?

I have a bunch of Eaglemoss BSG ships and some gundam model kits (including a PG) sitting on the shelf behind me in my cube at work.

No problems so far. Plus the PG was a gift from a Japanese rep, so definitely want to have that built and out next time he stops by.

11 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Bad thing about having these at work, one of my employees came in and starting touching things. Next thing I know 3 have fallen off their stands and hit the ground. OF COURSE it was the very delicate Enterprise J....Yeh that nacelle broke right off.  Another was the Nebula class that the radar dome thing and one nacelle popped off. Easy fix on that one, little glue and all is well. He's already ordered me a new Ent. J.  I need to make a KEEP AWAY sign apparently!  Some of them are very unstable on their stands and very nose heavy. Still..KEEP AWAY FROM MY STUFF ASSHAT! :angry: Freakin millennials! :rolleyes:

If I display such things I'm going to keep it in a locked display cabinet. Or in an off-limits space :D

15 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Should have made him replace it with an XL  Charge interest for stupid.

10 hours ago, derex3592 said:

LOL! Didn't think of that! 

Given the expanded length it might not fit on that shelf though.   Some of the oversized special editions (I have no XL's) have to be angled further in on mine to fit.  Even the relatively shorter Refit NX doesn't really fit well.  That's why all of my ships aren't facing out as much as on your shelves just to keep the uniformity.

• 2 weeks later...

Question that google couldn't answer:

Has Eaglemoss done two different Discovery Enterprises?  One XL, and another non-XL that is bigger than most non-XL?  I keep finding "Discoprises" that are "issue #1" and "issue #12", and listed at either 8.5in, or 10in long.   That seems odd.  They also seem to be consistently priced differently, but like the sizes, it's not as big a difference as regular and XL should have.     

15 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Question that google couldn't answer:

Has Eaglemoss done two different Discovery Enterprises?  One XL, and another non-XL that is bigger than most non-XL?  I keep finding "Discoprises" that are "issue #1" and "issue #12", and listed at either 8.5in, or 10in long.   That seems odd.  They also seem to be consistently priced differently, but like the sizes, it's not as big a difference as regular and XL should have.     

Yes, Eaglemoss made an XL version releasing the regular, smaller version in the Discovery Collection.  

8 hours ago, ps99042 said:

Eaglemoss made an XL version releasing the regular, smaller version in the Discovery Collection.  

And like a chump, I bought both...

chump.thumb.jpg.cdbd42bd25b4fdeb3b2291268f0d1f04.jpg

...despite only minor differences in scale...

1489774050_bothbought.thumb.jpg.e9d3852bf5593069ddb9d3380bd9db04.jpg

...and virtually identical paint app's.

1145296284_nosignificantdifferences.thumb.jpg.2f81d388d69707bf580928ddbff40623.jpg

916318411_notsodifferent.thumb.jpg.ab7028cfe14184e8596d7e0245f601f8.jpg

It's definitely my favorite Constitution variant, however.  :wub:

31 minutes ago, tekering said:

And like a chump, I bought both...

chump.thumb.jpg.cdbd42bd25b4fdeb3b2291268f0d1f04.jpg

...despite only minor differences in scale...

1489774050_bothbought.thumb.jpg.e9d3852bf5593069ddb9d3380bd9db04.jpg

...and virtually identical paint app's.

1145296284_nosignificantdifferences.thumb.jpg.2f81d388d69707bf580928ddbff40623.jpg

916318411_notsodifferent.thumb.jpg.ab7028cfe14184e8596d7e0245f601f8.jpg

It's definitely my favorite Constitution variant, however.  :wub:

Same here...it is nearing  the Refit as my favorite Enterprise design. Clearly the best thing to come out of Discovery. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

The Discovery Enterprise is one of my favorites in the XL line. Just looks fantastic all around. 

The movie refit is still my favorite version of the Enterprise. Too bad Eaglemoss f***ed up that XL. 

QFT

Ooh, I might get the kit; although, I will NOT be calling it Enterprise... I'll shoehorn the design as a contemporary of the Enterprise B or something -- akin to a homage design that saw limited use well after the A and it's sister ships were decommissioned/mothballed/dismantled -- instead of accepting as a TOS era Constitution class.

Yeah, we’ve been talking about this kit over at SSM. It’s looking fantastic. Size is around 18.9 inches. I love the test shot build as it gives you the idea what it would look like with a more TOS or TMP color scheme. I’m going to get 2 of these and paint one up like that and see if I can get some replacement Nacelles of some sort similar to the Refits.

Chris

44 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Yeah, we’ve been talking about this kit over at SSM. It’s looking fantastic. Size is around 18.9 inches. I love the test shot build as it gives you the idea what it would look like with a more TOS or TMP color scheme. I’m going to get 2 of these and paint one up like that and see if I can get some replacement Nacelles of some sort similar to the Refits.

Chris

Wait, almost 19 inches?  That's 1/1000 now?  Does that mean they bulked up the scale like they did for the Kelvin timeline?

Have to agree that it's a good design though, and I'll happily grab one.  It's one of the better attempts to adapt the TOS design to the Enterprise aesthetic.

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Wait, almost 19 inches?  That's 1/1000 now?  Does that mean they bulked up the scale like they did for the Kelvin timeline?

Have to agree that it's a good design though, and I'll happily grab one.  It's one of the better attempts to adapt the TOS design to the Enterprise aesthetic.

Yes, it is still in the JJ scale of ludicrous proportions. 

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The ~ 12" version would be much more in keeping with established relative sizes of the pre JJ make-it-larger-beyond-all-reason-and-precedent mentality, if one ignores the stated 1:2500 scale.

Eh, the 1/1000 kit has always looked to me to be a nightmare to paint/decal properly, due to how many clear parts are molded (and how they've done so).  Basically, the entire front end-cap and aft end-cap are clear.  But it's not "just the parts that glow" that are clear, it's the whole area---any strut, cover, mount, housing, grille, etc, that's right next to the actual glowing part--is also part of the clear part.   Basically, it's the reverse of how "modern kits" (like an RG Gundam) are molded---it's like "less color-separation than normal".    

I've seen skilled modelers struggle with getting the nacelles to look right on a non-lit Discoprise kit, due to the this.  I can't imagine the light-leak-nightmare actually lighting those parts up with create. 

Maybe I'm exaggerating, but the build-reviews I've seen on YouTube have pretty much turned me off from the 1/1000 kit.   And just makes me wish Bandai could do some more Trek kits----just a little bit of color/parts separation in the nacelle pieces, on the order of what Bandai was doing a decade ago, would make for an easy-to-do-perfectly appearance.  

Yes, the new kit is supposed to be over 18 inches and stated as 1/1000. I *THINK* it was originally supposed to be supersized like JJ-Trek hence the 1/1000 scale at 18.9 inches. HOWEVER, the producers have also since stated that this is indeed the same ship that Kirk commanded and only looks different because it hasn’t been refitted yet to look like it does in the TOS. If that is the case then it seems they MAY have walked back the size. Frankly, I’ve given up on the whole scale thing with these ships in both JJ and Disco-Trek.....and the idea that the Disco-prise would be refitted to look less advanced into the TOS look is idiotic. I appreciate the TOS Connie for what it is but, IMO, it looks like a 1960’s design to me. They should’ve just went ahead and said Disco and such are just VISUAL reinterpretations of Trek. Problem solved...at least visually.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Or they can say this...

Robert April’s NCC-1701 looked like this:

image.jpeg

Chris Pike’s 1701 was refitted to Disco-prise. 
Kirk’s was refitted to 1960s-prise. 

But frankly this is the problem with updating stuff design nearly 60 years ago that was made on what is today a shoe-string budget. It’s always going to look more advanced today. 

The Eagelmoss XL Disco-Enterprise is almost the right size to fit into a true 1/1000 line up. If it wasn't almost eighty bucks I'd buy one. But they (Discovery) screwed up the scales trying to follow in JJ's fool prints and of course R2 had to follow along with the ginormous size-scaleing. I'll be buying one, but not the several I was planning on if they had gone with 1/1400 instead.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Does anyone need an in-universe explanation as to why Anson Mount doesn't look exactly like Jeffrey Hunter?

Yes, but only because Discovery begs the question.  Remember when they pulled this sh!t?

oldskool.jpeg.89615901d0f18c3a7a0e9442281b1b6a.jpeg

838308086_JeffreyHunter.jpeg.a54329a368659259b9e80ec5df051490.jpeg

1784801179_AnsonMount.jpeg.01362bb58afecbf707427f2c5095faa5.jpeg

Having re-cast Pike, Spock, Vina, and the Talosians, they could've shot their own flashback based on The Cage... but no, they choose to use clips from FIFTY-FIVE years ago instead, confusing the millennials and pissing off the boomers simultaneously.  <_<

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Does anyone need an in-universe explanation as to why Anson Mount doesn't look exactly like Jeffrey Hunter?

Because the Zentran's haven't arrived to provide us so graciously with cloning technology yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 8:12 PM, Dobber said:

Chris

Try the Ascension class nacelles for sale from Federation Models. Based on the Refit but with a slightly different configuration on top and the front grill area. They have two different sizes for sale, both the 1/537 and for the 1/1000.  The 1/537 Refit is stated at being about 22 inches long overall, so they may be a little oversized.(?)

rmc-39_parts.jpg

On 2/8/2020 at 2:45 PM, David Hingtgen said:

It can work if they don't literally mean refitted into looking EXACTLY like 1966-prise.   Something like this is at least plausible, for a "refit into Kirk's":

discovery_style_uss_enterprise_by_metles

That is a sweet backdate to the design! Or would that be fore-date..?

Edited by Thom