Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

Just my .2 cents here....If you have any modeling experience whatsoever, do yourself a favor and get this Defiant kit off Amazon and build it. VERY simple to build. Lots of decals yes, but they go on super easy and you get a GREAT end result.  For the money, if you have a little time, it beats the stomp out of the Eaglemoss XL IMHO.  I've attached a few pics of mine. Full disclosure, I'm a pretty serious modeler and I went the extra mile on a couple of bits, but I had fun with this one! 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734B6VCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20190803_122235.jpg

20190803_122256.jpg

20190803_122414.jpg

20190803_122614.jpg

The XL Defiant is a decent release. I wish the colors were more like the physical filming model and not muted like one of the later CGI renderings. Eaglemoss actually got the colors right on the smaller release, like @derex3592's lovely model above (Polar Lights models are sooooo much better than the crappy AMT kits of years past).

They did f*** majorly on the back of the nacelles, though. Apparently, some time after filming wrapped on DS9 and before the physical model was auctioned off, the rear nacelle covers fell off, and the photos from this period are apparently what Eaglemoss' researchers used, because the XL Defiant is missing the same rear nacelle covers.

Poor research, as I mentioned before.

However, the worst XL release by far is the Enterprise-A. I wouldn't touch that one with a 60 foot pole. And it's another one where they got it right on the smaller release. Dafuq, Eaglemoss?

12 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Just my .2 cents here....If you have any modeling experience whatsoever, do yourself a favor and get this Defiant kit off Amazon and build it. VERY simple to build. Lots of decals yes, but they go on super easy and you get a GREAT end result.  For the money, if you have a little time, it beats the stomp out of the Eaglemoss XL IMHO.  I've attached a few pics of mine. Full disclosure, I'm a pretty serious modeler and I went the extra mile on a couple of bits, but I had fun with this one! 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734B6VCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20190803_122235.jpg

20190803_122256.jpg

20190803_122414.jpg

20190803_122614.jpg

That model looks nice and crisp but the panel lining is far too prominent.  At the best of times the panel lining in the show is very, very light if at all.  How to the rear impulse engines look?

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

That model looks nice and crisp but the panel lining is far too prominent.  At the best of times the panel lining in the show is very, very light if at all.  How to the rear impulse engines look?

73320883_10157275252090269_2524812424922

Haha, kidding.  Personally, I like the panel lines on his build, but maybe that's just me. 

I guess I'm okay with them because original studio models often look different in person from the way they appear on TV, in feature films, and even in photos.

:lol::lol::lol:. That's funny. 

Yeh....I actually agree with Mommar on this one, in the pics they show up WAY more prominently than they do in real life. (I used my camera flash for those pics)  I should have gone over the whole thing with a light coat of base color to tone down the color of the panels and kind of make everything blend together, (Electric Indigo does this on his builds and it does make a difference) but I just didn't.  It's a work desk model, so I was kinda like whatever. I could have weathered it and battle damaged it too, but I wanted to move on to other things. I have started using Flory's Grime instead of Dark Dirt and it's way lighter and looks better on Valks and Starships panel lines, FYI. 

Here's two desk shots... 

20191017_144833.jpg

20191017_144825.jpg

Edited by derex3592

18 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

:lol::lol::lol:. That's funny. 

Yeh....I actually agree with Mommar on this one, in the pics they show up WAY more prominently than they do in real life. (I used my camera flash for those pics)  I should have gone over the whole thing with a light coat of base color to tone down the color of the panels and kind of make everything blend together, (Electric Indigo does this on his builds and it does make a difference) but I just didn't.  It's a work desk model, so I was kinda like whatever. I could have weathered it and battle damaged it too, but I wanted to move on to other things. I have started using Flory's Grime instead of Dark Dirt and it's way lighter and looks better on Valks and Starships panel lines, FYI. 

Here's two desk shots... 

20191017_144833.jpg

20191017_144825.jpg

@Mommar is one harsh critic. :lol:

Anyway, there's way more important details to obsess over. Like does it light up? :rolleyes:

• azrael changed the title to Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship & BSG Collection

Oooh, bout time we got a good K'Tinga, though I'm vague on how that differs from the D7?  Really though, I wish Polar Lights would put out a movie-styled counterpart to their TOS Klingon cruiser.  The TOS version is fine, but I would love one with some kind of surface detail. :lol: 

If this one is roughly similar in size, I might have to pick it up to display alongside the refit kit.

6 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Oooh, bout time we got a good K'Tinga, though I'm vague on how that differs from the D7?  Really though, I wish Polar Lights would put out a movie-styled counterpart to their TOS Klingon cruiser.  The TOS version is fine, but I would love one with some kind of surface detail. :lol: 

If this one is roughly similar in size, I might have to pick it up to display alongside the refit kit.

The biggest difference between the D7 and K'Tinga is the hull plating/design.  The D7 is a completely smooth hull.  The K'Tinga has the raised design hull plating and lots more subtle paint applications.  Though I think in Universe the K'Tinga is physically larger.

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

The biggest difference between the D7 and K'Tinga is the hull plating/design.  The D7 is a completely smooth hull.  The K'Tinga has the raised design hull plating and lots more subtle paint applications.  Though I think in Universe the K'Tinga is physically larger.

Ok, see, I had never actually heard that explanation, and I thought they were the same exact ship. :lol:  I filed it under the same heading as why the Enterprise suddenly had a bunch of new hull details in the first movie.  

I know Polar Lights makes a large scale K'Tinga to match their big Enterprise kits, but I really don't have the room to display those... I might have to just find a closet to stash that elephant in before those kits disappear.

At 1:25 on your same video, he says “Don’t know if you can see the light in it?” And dang if that doesn’t look like a reflector and light source. 

Edited by Sildani

11 minutes ago, Sildani said:

At 1:25 on your same video, he says “Don’t know if you can see the light in it?” And dang if that doesn’t look like a reflector and light source. 

I think he's just referring to seeing the light go down the shaft.  I don't think he was referring to an actual light source inside the model.

1 minute ago, Mommar said:

Do you have a preferred ship style?  

Whoops, misread the email. It's up to 50% off, which means probably best to just wait for a better sale. Still doing the buy4 get 1 free thing though.

As far as ship styles, I like the Voyager, Enterprise B, D, E, and F (absolutely hate the J though), Delta Flyer, Reliant, Defiant.

Mainly wondering which of the releases are really well done, or really poorly done (bad paint/molding/warped nacelles, etc...)

40 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Whoops, misread the email. It's up to 50% off, which means probably best to just wait for a better sale. Still doing the buy4 get 1 free thing though.

As far as ship styles, I like the Voyager, Enterprise B, D, E, and F (absolutely hate the J though), Delta Flyer, Reliant, Defiant.

Mainly wondering which of the releases are really well done, or really poorly done (bad paint/molding/warped nacelles, etc...)

Unfortunately Eaglemoss has a hard time getting nacelles straight so almost all of your enterprises will be crooked, the Reliant possibly as well,  save for the B, D and E.  I posted a pic of the Defiant so you can judge that one for yourself if you like.  The Voyager looks pretty good.  I’m a fan of the Vor’cha and D’deridex as well.  The Thunderchild is done well too.  

Sounds like you aren’t a fan of the OG series, they actually did a wonderful job on the 1701 (minus their nacelle issues), D7 and Warbird.

It’s non-cannon but I love the Bonaventure.  Unfortunately it’s out of stock.  Spacedock is a pretty great looking piece too.  The various versions of the Nebula are all good too (but those nacelles again...)

27 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Unfortunately Eaglemoss has a hard time getting nacelles straight so almost all of your enterprises will be crooked, the Reliant possibly as well,  save for the B, D and E.  I posted a pic of the Defiant so you can judge that one for yourself if you like.  The Voyager looks pretty good.  I’m a fan of the Vor’cha and D’deridex as well.  The Thunderchild is done well too.  

Sounds like you aren’t a fan of the OG series, they actually did a wonderful job on the 1701 (minus their nacelle issues), D7 and Warbird.

It’s non-cannon but I love the Bonaventure.  Unfortunately it’s out of stock.  Spacedock is a pretty great looking piece too.  The various versions of the Nebula are all good too (but those nacelles again...)

Thanks for the info. The OG series is fine, though I generally prefer models/figures with a bit more detail than those old ones had. Discovery and Enterprise went a bit too far though (to me).

The Bonaventure looks pretty good, as does the spacedock and the Warbird. 

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

Since it seems they are starting to tap STO for ships, I'm waiting on the Eclipse class cruiser. That sleek stealth ship is my main in the game and would love a cheaper option to getting it in 3d. 

Haven’t they only done one?  The Ent F, twice.