A Quiet Place

kajnrig

My wife and I want to see it but no time plus we have an infant and its difficult to avoid spoilers too.Ugh!! I'm curious as to what John Krasinski will direct next since I'm sure he'll be in good demand since this move made a lot of money on a low budget? 

Edited by TangledThorns

Man I'm glad someone made a thread for this, I wasn't sure if anyone else had seen this damn near masterpiece of horror cinema. Damn fine work by Jim, er, John, not from The Office. I can safely say I have never had a more intense theater experience, my theater was dead quiet, every little sound had people on their toes, gasping, REALLY in the moment like they were actually there. Myself included. Not to spoil things, but it's an old horror trope where someone needs to be quiet because the bad person or thing is right there and then they accidentally bump something or make a noise, normally I would call this lazy, but in this film in particular it worked INCREDIBLY well, you are right there with the panic and tension that comes with said noise, it is more believable due to the world building and how well and serious all of it is handled. Damn fine movie, and I too am very interested in seeing what Krasinski does next, this film is getting fantastic reviews, and is being touted as a stand out horror movie among a sea of mostly meh films in the genre.

3 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Man I'm glad someone made a thread for this, I wasn't sure if anyone else had seen this damn near masterpiece of horror cinema. Damn fine work by Jim, er, John, not from The Office. I can safely say I have never had a more intense theater experience, my theater was dead quiet, every little sound had people on their toes, gasping, REALLY in the moment like they were actually there. Myself included. Not to spoil things, but it's an old horror trope where someone needs to be quiet because the bad person or thing is right there and then they accidentally bump something or make a noise, normally I would call this lazy, but in this film in particular it worked INCREDIBLY well, you are right there with the panic and tension that comes with said noise, it is more believable due to the world building and how well and serious all of it is handled. Damn fine movie, and I too am very interested in seeing what Krasinski does next, this film is getting fantastic reviews, and is being touted as a stand out horror movie among a sea of mostly meh films in the genre.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is definitely one movie you should see in theaters.

Agreed with all of the above, saw this on Sunday while I loved this movie, I was simply too lazy to create a thread for it (I did search and didn't find one).

Hands down the best film I've seen all year, beating Black Panther, Ready Player One, Pacific Rim and whatever else I've seen and have forgotten about, whether I liked the movie or not.

I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who loves horror movies, and just damn good film-making.

-b.

As a parent of an 8 year old who’s only ever quiet when she’s reading or sleeping, I can hardly even handle the trailer for this movie. I don’t remember what quiet is like.

But yesterday as she was incessantly talking over everyone, I was briefly tempted to take her to see it. “There, see? That’s why you’ve gotta be quiet sometimes!”

No, I wouldn’t really...

Just now, Kelsain said:

As a parent of an 8 year old who’s only ever quiet when she’s reading or sleeping, I can hardly even handle the trailer for this movie. I don’t remember what quiet is like.

But yesterday as she was incessantly talking over everyone, I was briefly tempted to take her to see it. “There, see? That’s why you’ve gotta be quiet sometimes!”

No, I wouldn’t really...

:lol:

It's good that you're a good parent, she would be scarred for life if you did.

Spoiler

And there are legit consequences to the one kid that didn't stay quiet.

-b.

Just saw this, it's really an experience of it's own. Not only an original concept, but also so well made, and great acting by everyone. The movie really keeps it's feet on the ground and draws you in with the relatable characters. And despite the ever-present silence, there is great sound design at work, and the music had me at the edge of my seat.

Saw it on Saturday with the spousal unit, and we both liked it. Good film that  puts you there with the protagonists. 

Spoiler

However, with most creature flicks, a few things kinda stood out to me: As usual, the way to defeat the creatures is fairly simple, and I can't help but think that some govt entity would be capable of capturing one of these things (all you'd have to do is build a reinforced concrete room with a really strong door and toss an alarm clock in there to capture one- they're strong but not Superman strong), and then conduct any number of tests on it to see what hurts or kills it. It would make sense to use some sort of sonic weapon on it, at least to disorient it. Another thing that stood out to me is, if a creature like this actually existed, it seems a foregone conclusion to me that attempts would be made to build, or failing that, at least utilize the underground facilities that already exist where they could be fortified and sound-proofed. Why stay in a place where you're at constant risk and completely devoid of amenities, not to mention unable to communicate normally? I'd rather live in an underground colony with running water, toilets, showers, and some semblance of social normalcy than to live in constant silence, fear, and risk of attack. but, that's just me. So, I get that it's all a setup to create atmosphere to heighten tension and put you in the situation with the characters, and it's done well. It tells a great story, and it succeeds in immersing you in the precarious life of this family and their turmoils, inside and out. I enjoyed it greatly, but the pragmatist in me always sees the practical flaws in a story like this.  

On 4/16/2018 at 8:26 AM, M'Kyuun said:

Saw it on Saturday with the spousal unit, and we both liked it. Good film that  puts you there with the protagonists. 

Reveal hidden contents

However, with most creature flicks, a few things kinda stood out to me: As usual, the way to defeat the creatures is fairly simple, and I can't help but think that some govt entity would be capable of capturing one of these things (all you'd have to do is build a reinforced concrete room with a really strong door and toss an alarm clock in there to capture one- they're strong but not Superman strong), and then conduct any number of tests on it to see what hurts or kills it. It would make sense to use some sort of sonic weapon on it, at least to disorient it. Another thing that stood out to me is, if a creature like this actually existed, it seems a foregone conclusion to me that attempts would be made to build, or failing that, at least utilize the underground facilities that already exist where they could be fortified and sound-proofed. Why stay in a place where you're at constant risk and completely devoid of amenities, not to mention unable to communicate normally? I'd rather live in an underground colony with running water, toilets, showers, and some semblance of social normalcy than to live in constant silence, fear, and risk of attack. but, that's just me. So, I get that it's all a setup to create atmosphere to heighten tension and put you in the situation with the characters, and it's done well. It tells a great story, and it succeeds in immersing you in the precarious life of this family and their turmoils, inside and out. I enjoyed it greatly, but the pragmatist in me always sees the practical flaws in a story like this.  

Spoiler

Agree with your hidden comments.

The concept of the creatures reminded me of Pitch Black, but there were a few things that bugged me.

I just can’t be convinced that biological entity of that size could be ballistically impenetrable to small arms fire from a 5.56mm or 7.652mm, let alone 50bmg, 20mm or bigger.

Then there’s the super hearing.  The report from an unsuppressed 5.56mm is pretty frakking loud and even suppressed can still cause tinnitus.  Anything bigger should really mess up the creature’s auditory sensory organs.  The answer - needs more belt-fed.

The final solution at the end of the movie reminded me of Mars Attacks. 

On 4/16/2018 at 8:26 AM, M'Kyuun said:

Hide contents

To be fair, we just never learned enough about the outside world for me to make jumps about what should or shouldn't have been invented or used. It seemed the family was in a very rural area, large pockets of survivors and military could very well have been developing weapons, and living in various bunkers and underground shelters, we never learned enough. We also never learned how bad the initial invasion was, we don't know how many, and how quickly people were killed. Governments could have been crippled, along with militaries, there could have been a massive near extinction level amount of death that happened incredibly quickly, without any way to prepare or defend. The isolationist nature of the film was another thing I loved for this very reason, the family could have very well been living in un-necessary isolation, they could have been just one radio call from a group that would then inform the family that swaths of soldiers and volunteers are moving through chunks of the country murdering monsters with new tech and tactics. I personally love that aspect in certain horror films, the angle that the family or heroes could very well be harming themselves due to a lack of communication or knowledge, that help could be coming or you could totally be on your own. And due to the incredible hearing of the creatures, I would guess after their initial arrival it would be INCREDIBLY difficult to mount any kind of massive under takings without making even a minimum, fatal level of noise. With how fast, strong, and sensitive the creatures were, I just can't picture too many large scale migrations or defenses being mounted against the creatures, especially after their initial invasion. Also, most glaringly to me, we have no idea exactly how many creatures there are out there, if they can breed, etc.

In one scene, we see the father go through radio frequencies, implying that there's nobody out there. It also seems that the other survivors are going down, since there are no other fires when the kids are on top of the silo.

It could also be that the supremacy of the creatures comes with other factors such as a very high replication rate as long the food supplies allow. Imagine human-sized cockroaches.

Spoiler

The question of, 'where did they come from?', or 'how did they get here?', concerning the creatures, is never really even alluded to, as far as I can remember. I tried reading all the various newspaper clippings Dad had posted, but they pan by them rather quickly, so all I got a sense of is that they're here and they're beating us. Moving along to Dad's constant scanning of international frequencies with nobody on the line, there's an immediate bleakness implied- this isn't just a local infestation.

My personal observation is that the creatures possess a like intelligence to many terrestrial animals, like mice or dogs. They don't use technology, but hunt by virtue of instinct and their uber-hearing, since they're blind. So, in my estimation, the idea that these things arrived on Earth by their own volition seems nigh impossible; while nothing is stated, the implication, or at least my inference in hindsight, is that someone or something deposited them here as a sort of preemptive cleanup crew, thus creating a vacancy for uncontested ownership by parties unmentioned. It'd make a nice premise for a sequel, esp if they could once again anchor it to a human story of struggling to survive.

And being the sort of nerd I am, I've given thought to how I'd go about eradicating the beasties if they showed up in my neighborhood and I managed to survive the initial slaughter. Of course, I'm going on the premise that I'm aware the things can hear a fly fart at 300 yards, but can't see squat. Moreover, they charge at noise, seemingly with little regard for what that may portend. Thus, I'd set up targets, utilizing melons, or balloons, or some such vessel, and fill these things with various toxic chemicals, like antifreeze, to gauge the effects. Again, all it would take is an alarm clock to create the 'come eat!' signal, and just hang back in my blind and watch what happens. Moreover, if I was feeling really enterprising, I'd mount a shotgun in some way near my target, and run a piece of twine to the trigger so that I could remain at a safe distance in the event my shotgun missed. However, we're living in the days of technology, and even in the movie, electronics and batteries could be had by looting stores. So perhaps it'd even be possible to mount a camera to the shotgun and aim it using a laptop, or some such device, even if it required hardwiring- bury the wires. Alas, this is all pointless cogitation on a fictitious situation, but these are the things that go through my mind unbidden. To the point, we're smarter than the creatures, and the tools are there to mount a simple offence to at least make a divot in their numbers, via trial and error, rather than live like potential hors d'oeuvres.

If they in fact spawned like roaches, as electric indigo mentioned, my assumption is that the family in question would have been overwhelmed by sheer numbers, or that there would be corpses of the things everywhere once the food supply had dwindled to what we see in the film. Unless they're cannibals, too. Alas, neither of these things is shown in the movie. It would seem that they're rather efficient, only requiring a few to be remarkably effective at population control. Hope they're not cooking any of these things up out at Plum Island- eeesh!

Edited by M'Kyuun

Hold the phone, did nobody else notice the newspaper that said...

Spoiler

The newspaper mentioned a meteor or comet, and that the creatures apparently came out of that, or spawned from it or something. Right away I thought of some kind of deep space parasite or something. Also, I distinctly remember reading, or something mentioning the creatures don't eat all of their prey, they do eat, but they mostly seek to eliminate ANY noise they hear. So it appears killing anything that makes sound is their primary driving force, like their hearing is so sensitive they can't handle any kind of real noise.

I'd guess if all this happened quickly large swaths of the human population could have been wiped out, depending on how many impact sites and where they hit would be an even greater factor. The creatures seemed insanely fast, and with their hearing I could see them moving from town to town, village to village, city to city slaughtering anything that drops a pin.

I didn't notice the newspaper you're referring to; your eyes are sharper than mine. Your 'nomad' theory seems sound.

Spoiler

A comet seems a very localized means of depositing the creatures, so the idea that they move from place to place follows.

• 2 months later...

Agree with your assessment of Mr. Krasinski's directing talents. Wouldn't mind seeing more.

After The Last Jedi, I'm not sure if anyone can rescue the main Star Wars films from their current direction. Wouldn't mind seeing him helm a side story, though.

I think he'd do well with an Alien film... something along the lines of the original where isolation plays a major role towards establishing environment and tone.

Finally saw this the other day, and it was really good! My only gripes would be...

Spoiler

Why was everyone leaving the toddler to toddle on behind them?!?!? Even when no one is around, the kid leaves the store before you do and when walking along a path where monsters can kill you at any second, the kid stays in sight!!!

Other than that, kewwwwwwl!!

3 hours ago, Thom said:

Finally saw this the other day, and it was really good! My only gripes would be...

Hide contents

Why was everyone leaving the toddler to toddle on behind them?!?!? Even when no one is around, the kid leaves the store before you do and when walking along a path where monsters can kill you at any second, the kid stays in sight!!!

Other than that, kewwwwwwl!!

I know right!! I literally laughed out loud when he got snatched. 

Bad parenting?:p It was a plot device, obviously, to give the audience a visceral idea of how dangerous the beasties can be, and I'm sure it struck a lot of parents in the gut. I don't have kids, but I can still empathize. Anyway, the creatures can't see, and, IIRC, no-one knew he'd put batteries in the toy car (been awhile, but I think the sister knew he had the car, but was unaware he'd put batteries in it), so as long as everyone moved along quietly... but how much fun would that be? The gods of horror demand sacrifices!

And, it served the story, too, by virtue of the family's guilt and grief over the loss, an insult to injury due to their already stressful way of life amidst the critters.

I try not to over analyze movies too much. As this kind of film goes, it was done well, and the cast and director did a great job putting you there with them. Some great emotional performances by all, too, which elevated it above the typically cheesy schlockfests these things generally devolve into. Easily watchable, and enjoyable, again.

12 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Wow...just watched this on Vudu, man, that was pretty intense!  good flick.  Wanted to see more and the credits rolled! :wacko:

A sequel is in the works though I doubt any of the original actors or director will be involved

It'd be interesting if it was more of a prequel showing when the attacks started.

Some flash backs to when they first appeared would be nice. To judge by all the missing posters, it wasn't a quick 'invasion,' as there was time to note someone was missing and to put up pictures, and then it would have reached a tipping point. I would like to see that.

And normally I don't like to pick on movies and give them the benefit, but that part with the kid was just loosely done, especially when they are being so careful with everything else.

Edited by Thom