Mighty Orbots - New Complete DVD and Other News Topic

I just saw this news. I caught the DVD on ebay doing my usual search and couldn't believe it.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-Orbots-The-Complete-Series/24073

It's a manufacture on demand DVD which I've never heard of before. The cover art should be a lot better too. But I'm not going to miss this release.

TheMightOrbots_Complete.jpg.47691b2d26ce90edf7ea62e7fd8fbfa1.jpg

I think we are a step closer to a Mighty Orbots Chogokin now. The opening for those that don't know about the show.

• JetJockey changed the title to Mighty Orbots - New Complete DVD and Other News Topic

This is a blast from the past.  I remember this, Galaxy Rangers, and Pole Position as being really enjoyable American and Japanese co-produced toons in the mid-80's. The art was par-excellence compared to all the American shows, and all three had catchy opening songs. Gotta say, that package art leaves a bit to be desired, but as long as the DVD quality is good, I'll definitely pick up a copy. 

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I remember the animation being super slick for its time. That being said...

Dear Netflix,

Please reboot Galaxy Rangers.

Love,

TangledThorns

XOXO

Or Robotech^^
(it's joking XD)

On 3/30/2018 at 12:20 AM, M'Kyuun said:

This is a blast from the past.  I remember this, Galaxy Rangers, and Pole Position as being really enjoyable American and Japanese co-produced toons in the mid-80's. The art was par-excellence compared to all the American shows, and all three had catchy opening songs. Gotta say, that package art leaves a bit to be desired, but as long as the DVD quality is good, I'll definitely pick up a copy. 

I remember watching Pole Position because like all kids back then I loved the arcade game. I don't remember any of the episodes though. I only remember the opening. I was looking at Mighty Orbots ebay sold auctions and realized that the Complete DVD cover art is just art from the VHS episode Magnetic Menace.

5ac2fc7e84721_MagneticMenace.jpg.69cec402486f8eecc547e85e054d73d7.jpg

So maybe it's just a placeholder. I hope so but I don't know why they would use a placeholder when the DVD is weeks away from release. I saw this sold Mighty Orbots artwork. I'm sure this artist could put together a good piece of art for the cover featuring the whole team.

5ac2fcf5201e5_MightyOrbotsScottDalrymple.thumb.jpg.ab4f333a9ff25330557396df228162a6.jpg

On 3/30/2018 at 6:00 AM, TangledThorns said:

I remember the animation being super slick for its time. That being said...

Dear Netflix,

Please reboot Galaxy Rangers.

Love,

TangledThorns

XOXO

I don't think a Galaxy Rangers reboot would be that good unless it's in the same style or just really high quality animation and stories. I still haven't seen the new Voltron yet but I'm not jumping to see it. I'll get to it eventually though.

6 hours ago, captain america said:

If they're giving the series a DVD release, maybe there's hope of seeing a clean (and complete) version of that awesome theme song as well.

I hope they are putting some effort into the DVD. But seeing as I stumbled on the news and searching there still isn't that much news postings. I bet it will be fairly light on the extras. I wish they put together a set like Galaxy Rangers. That was a good two volume DVD set.

I got a set of sketches from ebay too. I've never seen much production artwork or books for Mighty Orbots so I had to get a set. They still have more copies available and they are cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIGHTY-ORBOTS-47-PAGES-OF-MODEL-SHEETS-WITH-MULTIPLE-IMAGES/121403033387?hash=item1c442f472b:g:ajkAAOSwAYtWPhZF

• 3 weeks later...

I've been watching the Mighty Orbots Complete DVD. This release is as bare bones as it gets. Just the episodes. In fact, I've never seen a release like this from a big company. It's on DVD-R discs! When I read it was Manufacture on Demand, I thought it would be limited. Kind of based on what pre-orders they received with the possibility of stopping production when there isn't demand. But this sort of release is basically to give something to the fans if they don't want to make a real production. Here is the wiki on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Archive_Collection

I guess even one of those limited DVD / Blu-ray outfits didn't want to make a couple thousand run edition. Apparently there are other old cartoons that are Manufacture on Demand like Centurions, SilverHawks, and others. Still you would think a big company would have someone put a bit more effort into the release. I was thinking this DVD would help the chances for a chogokin. But I'm not so sure now. However, I did find this video.

I posted the image of that toy box somewhere around here in another topic. But this is a good short peek at the toy inside the box. The interviewer mentions that it's a God Mars repaint which someone here told me Mighty Orbots was similar to God Mars.

Also here is something worth a listen.

Edited by JetJockey