R.I.P. Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Well... nuts.

On the other hand, he was told he had two years to live back in the sixties. That was a REALLY LONG two years.

Yeah, he had a really good run for someone with ALS, much to the benefit of modern physics.

A loss for the entire species to be sure.

Godspeed on the Grand Adventure Dr. Hawking!

He made more of his life with its limitations, than most of us could conceive. I actually got to attend a public talk he gave when I was in college.  What I never expected was his great sense of humor. 

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Given his many ailments 76 is a pretty impressive length of time.

Absolutely!  An astonishing man, any way you slice it.  I had the chance to see him once in person at a lecture at the University of Dallas once back in college when I was taking an astronomy class.  We did a trip over to Dallas to cram into the lecture hall, standing room only in the very back of the room to hear him speak.  One of those moments you will always remember.  He came out and his first statement was something so profound about time or black holes or something that completely blew everyone's mind and you could hear a pin drop after that.  The funniest thing he said was that Captain Picard's chair on the bridge was horribly uncomfortable.  R.I.P. sir.  Enjoy the stars which you now walk among.  

One of the giants of academia, gone. :( 

He will surely be missed, and his work will doubtless continue to shape our perception of the universe for many years to come.

Well said. He was an incredible human being given all his accomplishments, defying ALS for so long, being chief among them.  Fortunately for us and future generations, he left a lasting legacy that will keep scientific minds searching and questioning. We were blessed to have him with us for 76 years. Godspeed, Dr. Hawking.

A great loss indeed.  Just saw the Theory of Everything last year and it reminded me of how impressive this man was, but also inspired me to make the most of every moment, never let your circumstances prevent you from continuing your journey, always surround yourself with people who won't give up on you, and curiosity is one of mankind's greatest treasures.

On a personal note, I lost my uncle when I was a teenager to ALS (over 20 years ago).  He fought it for a few very short years.  How Dr Hawking was able to punch ALS in the face for so long is nothing short of astounding.