I really liked the first season but I hope they aren’t making Johnny and the new Cobra Kai into the villains again. I liked that the first season really showed the need for SOME of the things Johnny was doing with these kids and also explained a bit of his backstory. I also liked that Daniel wasn’t  Mr. perfect either. Now it looks like they are going into that direction again.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I really liked the first season but I hope they aren’t making Johnny and the new Cobra Kai into the villains again. I liked that the first season really showed the need for SOME of the things Johnny was doing and explained a bit oh his backstory. I also liked that Daniel was Mr. perfect either. Now it looks like they are going into that direction again.

Chris

Considering that M. Barnes wasn't shown but is slated for a return, I doubt that's the way they are actually headed but would like nostalgia to lead us there.  I do believe however that Peyton List A.K.A. Torry Schwarber is shown at 0:28 in; as in Ali Mills Schwarber.  The daughter has been confirmed but if E.S. is coming back they're hiding it really well.

I really liked the first season but I hope they aren’t making Johnny and the new Cobra Kai into the villains again. I liked that the first season really showed the need for SOME of the things Johnny was doing with these kids and also explained a bit of his backstory. I also liked that Daniel wasn’t  Mr. perfect either. Now it looks like they are going into that direction again.

Chris

Agreed on this.  I thought the writing in the first season was clever with the way they juxtaposed Johnny and Daniel's circumstances and position in the local community.  I think a direction that is more consistent with S1 would be to have Johnny trying to "evolve", but struggling as Kreese returns and intimidates/tempts Johnny to follow old patterns again.  Something I'd like to see is that in the end, he doesn't necessarily become a pillar of the community like Daniel, but he finally gets out from under the shadow of Kreese and the old Cobra Kai and finds his own way that's a little more positive, while retaining of the rough edges that make him appealing.

Agreed on this.  I thought the writing in the first season was clever with the way they juxtaposed Johnny and Daniel's circumstances and position in the local community.  I think a direction that is more consistent with S1 would be to have Johnny trying to "evolve", but struggling as Kreese returns and intimidates/tempts Johnny to follow old patterns again.  Something I'd like to see is that in the end, he doesn't necessarily become a pillar of the community like Daniel, but he finally gets out from under the shadow of Kreese and the old Cobra Kai and finds his own way that's a little more positive, while retaining of the rough edges that make him appealing.

EXACTLY what I was thinking/hoping for.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To Paraphrase Obi-Wan "Certain Points of View"

Edited by slide

I have a feeling Crease takes over...that Hawke kid love it as he seems to be already becoming a bit of a bully and a nut job. Johnny has to take Miguel and some of the other students to start his own branch and Daniel blames all things Cobra Kai and can’t see that Johnny is actual doing a good thing with HIS kids. He just teaches  different things then Daniel but he isn’t bad nor does he agree with Crease. My thoughts on what this season will be.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Doomcock is very happy in this review... I did not put much thought into this thread when it first appeared. I honestly thought this was going to be a movie (and not a web series).

after listening to this review, I'm gonna fix that discrepancy.

11 hours ago, TehPW said:

Well, Doomcock is very happy in this review... I did not put much thought into this thread when it first appeared. I honestly thought this was going to be a movie (and not a web series).

after listening to this review, I'm gonna fix that discrepancy.

He is absolutely correct in this review. Cobra Kai is near perfection in it’s execution and narrative. 

Chris

On 4/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

why is Johnny bad? i thought he was good...

"From a certain point of view"

I'm 6 episodes in on Season 1 and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

The execution has been pretty good so far and though some of the plot points are predictable, you still relish those plots playing out.

Season two did not disappoint! Though the finale fight while awesome, was a bit over the top, no pun intended.  This season certainly doesn't end on any kind of high note but leaves plenty to speculate about; in particular Robby, the book on Okinawa, Miguel and the text from Dr. Mills Schwarber (pediatric surgeon).  

Any of you live near the Washington, DC area? Ralph Macchio, William Zabka and Martin Kove will be at this weekend's AwesomeCon!!

I'd go but I have little ones and don't want to leave my wife alone with them all day, lol. Hopefully we can all go together to a future AwesomeCon as a family when they're older.

http://awesome-con.com/guestsdc/

• 2 weeks later...

Cobra Kai quoting Game of Thrones is great.

Great writing all around.

If you are looking for a series to start once GoT is over, you could do a lot worse than Cobra Kai.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:52 PM, TangledThorns said:

Any of you live near the Washington, DC area? Ralph Macchio, William Zabka and Martin Kove will be at this weekend's AwesomeCon!!

I'd go but I have little ones and don't want to leave my wife alone with them all day, lol. Hopefully we can all go together to a future AwesomeCon as a family when they're older.

http://awesome-con.com/guestsdc/

I was there and I attended their panel on Friday.  Since S2 of Cobra Kai had just come out a couple days before, I think most people hadn't had a chance to see it yet at the time (I hadn't), so most of the questions were related to the films.  One particular question was about what they thought of the Karate Kid remake.  They all gave their respectful answers as you would expect (Will Smith is one of the producers), but Ralph Macchio added at the end "Will they still be talking about that movie in 30 years?  I don't think so." :lol:

I just finished watching the series last night.  Great second season, but I have to say that my nomination for the best shot in the whole series so far has to be the last shot from episode 6... you know, the one that references a certain famous line said by a certain character in the tournament from the first movie.  :D

• 6 months later...

So, I just finished up Season 2 (Just FYI, all the episodes for Season 2 are now available for FREE on Youtube. . . with a few commercials).

I saw the final throw-down beforehand, saw a few of the major story-beats for the season, and read some of the synopses. 

But yeah, it was still enjoyable to watch everything unfold, even knowing how everything goes down.

Really great addition to the series.

. . . . And can we all agree that the LaRusso's should take most of the blame? :p

Lastly, I really hope they don't do something cheesy or stupid like making Miguel's father turn out to be Kreese or Terry Silver. :bad:  Not really necessary for the story.

Edited by Mog

I too finished watching season 2 last night.  Overall I enjoyed it.  I wish it had a bigger budget.  The cinematography is very basic.  Paused the grand fight several times the actors did most of it.  The majority of kicks weren't kicks they were pushing with their legs.  Glad to see someone finally get hurt.  All through this season people were getting kicked in the head and walking away.  More than one character in the end fight should have been in equally bad shape.

• 7 months later...
37 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Cool and interesting as Youtube is ditching scripted television which is fine by me. I don't want to pay for so many streaming services.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cobra-kai-moves-netflix-1299581

Yeah, when I first saw previews for Cobra Kai it looked like a good show, but there was no way I was subbing to YouTube Premium over it.  Like you said, I've got enough streaming services (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon).  But I'll definitely watch it on Netflix.

43 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Yeah, when I first saw previews for Cobra Kai it looked like a good show, but there was no way I was subbing to YouTube Premium over it.  Like you said, I've got enough streaming services (Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon).  But I'll definitely watch it on Netflix.

It was a really good show. Hopefully netflix will stream the whole series.