On 3/22/2018 at 7:44 AM, captain america said:

Role-reversal, I dig it! 

More so especially from the new trailer!

But will Martin Kove's character of  John "Finish Him" Kresse be in this series since he's in the trailer at 0:06?

Edited by Omega Prime
forgot something

4 hours ago, Omega Prime said:

More so especially from the new trailer!

But will Martin Kove's character of  John "Finish Him" Kresse be in this series since he's in the trailer at 0:06?

I'm curious too. Though his name was not in the cast list at IMDB. But he was in the said event.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7221388/mediaviewer/rm1725455616

8 hours ago, captain america said:

To be fair, the clip at the beginning with Kresse is from 34 years ago. He may have been written-out of the storyline or, better yet, they may be saving his return for a future episode.

I hope he is returning for future episodes, it would be interesting to see what happened to him!

And for some thing I noticed while looking at IMDB... (Spoiler-ish speculation)...

Spoiler

There appears to be "Samantha LaRuso" and "Anothony LaRuso" both actors seem to be youngish -- the Samantha character's actress is 23, but it wouldn't surprise me if she's playing a teen.  Pure speculation on my part... but could the trigger point for Daniel resparking his rivalry Jonny be him not wanting his daughter being the romantic interest of a Cobra Kai member?

• 1 month later...

The first two episodes are free on Youtube. Just finished the first episode and it was better than expected, keeping the episodes to a half hour long was a wise choice too. Not enough for me to sign up for Youtube Red but may get there soon the way Youtube it throwing out annoying ads on most videos I watch there.

10 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The first two episodes are free on Youtube. Just finished the first episode and it was better than expected, keeping the episodes to a half hour long was a wise choice too. Not enough for me to sign up for Youtube Red but may get there soon the way Youtube it throwing out annoying ads on most videos I watch there.

I’ve watched the first two episodes and I liked it. Now I’m thinking if I should do that 30 day trial just to binge watch the rest of the 10 episodes. ^_^ 

It's a sign of the times, I think.  After Robotech, I couldn't go back to watching US television... 'cause in the '80s, anime was the only TV worth watching.

Now, after cable TV and streaming video networks have made broadcast TV a thing of the past, US television is experiencing a new golden age, while anime becomes more and more creatively stagnant.  When I first came to Japan 20 years ago, video stores were half Hollywood movies, and half Japanese movies... and now, almost half of any video store is US TV shows!

Cobra Kai is the perfect example.  Here we have a TV spin-off, produced on a TV budget, that's easily better than all the Karate Kid films put together; just check out how well it scores with critics and audiences on Rotten Tomatoes.  Rotten Tomatoes also indicates that the Lethal Weapon TV series is getting higher audience scores than the original films did, despite their popularity... and modern TV remakes of Lost in Space and Battlestar: Galactica are so much better than the original shows, it's not even funny.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

It's a sign of the times, I think.  After Robotech, I couldn't go back to watching US television... 'cause in the '80s, anime was the only TV worth watching.

Now, after cable TV and streaming video networks have made broadcast TV a thing of the past, US television is experiencing a new golden age, while anime becomes more and more creatively stagnant.  When I first came to Japan 20 years ago, video stores were half Hollywood movies, and half Japanese movies... and now, almost half of any video store is US TV shows!

Cobra Kai is the perfect example.  Here we have a TV spin-off, produced on a TV budget, that's easily better than all the Karate Kid films put together; just check out how well it scores with critics and audiences on Rotten Tomatoes.  Rotten Tomatoes also indicates that the Lethal Weapon TV series is getting higher audience scores than the original films did, despite their popularity... and modern TV remakes of Lost in Space and Battlestar: Galactica are so much better than the original shows, it's not even funny.

I'm glad scripted TV is making a comeback. I remember early last decade it was dying and slowly being replaced by reality TV.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I'm glad scripted TV is making a comeback. I remember early last decade it was dying and slowly being replaced by reality TV.

I thought Reality TV are also kind of scripted?

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

You're thinking of wrestling :) I meant reality shows such as Survivor and Big Brother which were cool at first but then got tired quick.

Hahaha. :lol: But I was referring to what you mentioned. Though when I think about it now, they were more 'Set-up' than 'Scripted', right? :rolleyes:

Decided to take the plunge and watch the whole season, seeing as how the first two were excellent. I was not disappointed. In fact, I was quite impressed!

The writers did a great job of fleshing-out the characters and giving us a glimpse of their inner demons and motivations, not to mention masterfully plucking at my nostalgia strings... And HOLY CRAP talk about a season-ending cliffhanger!!

On episode 5 now, I’m really liking this show. The first 2 episodes got me to sign up for the free trial so I can binge the whole season. This show is a pleasant surprise. :)

Chris

I too signed up for the free trial to watch it and then cancelled the trial.  Nothing else about the service seem worth it.  I can't justify paying money to watch Youtubers.  Warning though once you cancel it you can't remove your credit card information until the entire month goes by.

Was Johnny a champion his junior year or not?  He says, "I never lost a point my junior year," while talking with Miguel; if he was never hit, and wasn't disqualified, how could he not have been champion in '83?  The only reason I'm asking is that while everyone recognizes that Daniel was a champion, its never acknowledged with Johnny.  While the show does say the Cobra Kai's have a lifetime ban from competing, nothing is said of championships/records expunged.  This is my only issue with the show and in the end its so minor it doesn't really matter; awaiting season 2.

On 2/16/2018 at 6:12 PM, SuperSenpai said:

I was kinda hoping it would be a comedy series, starring two old, out-of-shape dudes living vicariously through their kids' karate careers while drinking beers and busting each other's chops over old times.

Daniel: "Hey Johnny, remember that time I sprayed you with water while you were smoking weed in the bathroom stall?"

Johnny: "Yeah, I do.  But do you remember the time you were spying on Ali at the country club, crashed into the waiter, and collapsed on the floor in a pile of spaghetti?  That was hilarious!!  Especially since you were wearing that all-white outfit for your date with Ali.  What were you thinking?  You looked like one of the club staff!!"

Daniel: "Ha ha... yeah, yeah.  At least I didn't fall for the crane kick.  How could you lose to that technique??  Even Chozen saw that one coming!"

Johnny: "Oh don't go bringing Chozen into this.  You're comparing me to a guy who couldn't figure out that after getting counter-punched in the face twice that he should try something else??  At least Ali didn't drop me for some football player from UCLA!"

Daniel: "No, she didn't.  She dropped you for a skinny Italian kid who got the crap beat out of him every other week."

Johnny: .... "I hate you."

So close to being the bar scene. Points need awarded!

• 1 month later...

Just binge watched this show. Fair to say it might be the best TV show I've seen in a long time.  I don't watch a lot of new stuff, but trust me on this one, if you're an 80's kid, and liked The Karate Kid movies, watch this. It's awesome.  It's got heart, it respects the old movie and the characters, it does a good job with the new characters, it's got TONS of heart, and some good laugh out loud moments, not to mention a great 80's soundtrack to boot.  Very well written and directed.  Highly recommended!  Can't wait for season 2! 

• 8 months later...