3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Looks like they're going to try again on Saturday... fingers crossed.

Thanks for the heads up. I probably won’t be able to watch it because  will be on assignment.

Maybe that is a good omen for a successful launch.

Edited by Scyla

8 hours ago, Scyla said:

Thanks for the heads up. I probably won’t be able to watch it because  will be on assignment.

Maybe that is a good omen for a successful launch.

You're welcome. :)

Sounds like the faulty parts were replaced and everything else looks good to go. 👍

1 minute ago, 505thAirborne said:

You're welcome. :)

Sounds like the faulty parts were replaced and everything else looks good to go. 👍

Right; because the second launch is supposed to be manned, it's best they work out all the bugs now and avoid another Challenger/ Columbia incident. We don't need more folks killed due to not working the parts out.

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Third times the charm! ...or back to the assembly building...

A shame since I came down from MA for the launch but per the press conference earlier the attempt Monday/Tuesday is off while they replace the seal that failed today. While they're examining options it seems highly probable they'll need to roll back to the VAB for the replacement with the next window for attempts likely being mid-late October from what I'm hearing.

Crossing my fingers that I'll at least be able to catch a Falcon 9 launch tomorrow; though I suppose a weeks vacation in FL isn't exactly awfull even without a big launch and I knew going in that traveling for the first flight of a new vehicle carried a decent degree of risk.

As an engineer, I'm glad to see they're being cautious about this launch and opting to abort the test and reschedule rather than risk losing the test article and the opportunity to log and study potential hardware or workmanship defects as they emerge.  It beats the hell out of literally picking up the pieces after your experiment undergoes an "unscheduled rapid disassembly".

I can only imagine the legendary scale of Artemis 1's DFMEA... "the test article goes cartwheeling off into space in an uncontrolled manner" and "the test article explodes in a massive fireball" are a good deal more exciting (in a bad way) than the usual failure modes.

2 hours ago, Jaustin89 said:

A shame since I came down from MA for the launch but per the press conference earlier the attempt Monday/Tuesday is off while they replace the seal that failed today. While they're examining options it seems highly probable they'll need to roll back to the VAB for the replacement with the next window for attempts likely being mid-late October from what I'm hearing.

Crossing my fingers that I'll at least be able to catch a Falcon 9 launch tomorrow; though I suppose a weeks vacation in FL isn't exactly awfull even without a big launch and I knew going in that traveling for the first flight of a new vehicle carried a decent degree of risk.

Oh, the suffering! :good:

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As an engineer, I'm glad to see they're being cautious about this launch and opting to abort the test and reschedule rather than risk losing the test article and the opportunity to log and study potential hardware or workmanship defects as they emerge.  It beats the hell out of literally picking up the pieces after your experiment undergoes an "unscheduled rapid disassembly".

I can only imagine the legendary scale of Artemis 1's DFMEA... "the test article goes cartwheeling off into space in an uncontrolled manner" and "the test article explodes in a massive fireball" are a good deal more exciting (in a bad way) than the usual failure modes.

DFMEA: Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis; A.K.A. How it went 'Splodey and Made Other Stuff Go 'Splodey

Or...in other words:

And we all GREATLY appreciate that they aren't just winging it, Apollo 1-style.
We're goin' back to the moon, and NOT killing anyone to get there.

Just... it's been a long wait, and these latest delays are frustrating. Especially since there's a very aggressive schedule for Artemis 2's manned lunar flyby in 2024 and Artemis 3's return to the lunar surface in 2025... and this schedule hinges on ACTUALLY LAUNCHING ARTEMIS 1 AT SOME POINT.
(It was honestly doubtful for a while that they were going to keep this schedule, but... hope springs eternal.)

Disappointing, but as Seto Kaiba says, better that they take it slow and iron out the bugs rather than proceed Challenger-style to an unpleasant end. I'm excited for our return to the moon as well, but I'd rather caution be paramount, as eventually people are going to be riding this thing. NASA's already lost too many of our best and brightest due to oversights, aggressive schedules, and negligence. The moon's not going anywhere  (quickly, by our measure of time), so they have time to get it right, make it safe, make it efficient. Better a delay or delays than another exploded vehicle, and worst case, picking up the pieces of more astronauts.

Challenger suffered from the same problem the Titanic did - complacency born out of monotonous repetition(*).  This being a first and very important piece of hardware (to NASA's future funding) it will be appropriately treated as the irreplaceable piece of test hardware it is.  Sure they can replace it but their reputation and future rides on it in a way a second piece of test hardware, if they were allowed to build it after a stupid mistake (which launching under any kind of hardware issue would be) might be the end of NASA as a government run instituation.

(*) - To my shame I forget the name of the other Shuttle that burned up on entry.  Columbia (had to look it up) also suffered from overconfidence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Thom said:

Totally awesome! I missed the launch, so thanks for linking the vids.

As did I; I had actually waited up for the last time they tried to launch, only for them to have to scrub it due to the leak they had.

Good that they finally got the girl off the ground! Now we can see if everything works as it should. :D

• 4 months later...