1/350 Yeti/Neptune bug eye kit

mslz22

So I,  like many model makers are really bad at sticking to one project.  But cleaning my shop I stumbled upon this kit in my stash,  which I got from the boys at Wfest a bunch of years ago.  It's such a beautiful (and rare?)  kit  I just had to get going on it.   Not too many parts so I am hoping to finish it in time to bring to Wfest this year.

Totally borrowing the panel lines from this amazing build.

I'm going to be adding some of my own little details along with way,  but the kit would be amazing out of the box.  Thanks again guys!

Rough map of the panel lines .

dH3qXs.jpg

Pinstripe material is great for creating an edge to guide the etching on these curvy surfaces.

Lxnom1.jpg

Once etched I pencil in to check the work.

35Tr3B.jpg

More of the very preliminary work continues.  Panel lines applied to the other half of the top.  Mapped out the bottom and etched those.  quick dusting of very fine primer to check all the work.  Next up will be to get the body nice and smooth,  I have not even started the part line clean up and there is some residual 3d print lines to clean up,  which is easy with a nice heavy fill primer.  That's up next.

OrMgmf.jpg

N4rcnM.jpg

ePmFe7.jpg

Adding some detail to the engine bells.  I will be lighting the engines so I put a 1/4 tube stalk on to the bells.  Then took them over to the mill and carefully etched in some deep lines at the base and some fine lines that will act as guides for painting the red stripe later on.  Was also able to wet sand the parts quickly using the slow setting on the mill.   Also added some nice raised panels at the edge of the bell.

RBOoZE.jpg

coY4mG.jpg

zYYuyA.jpg

hhPQxJ.jpg

For the eye I wanted more detail than to just have the clean green lens illuminated.  I am opting to detail it with 4 camera "eyes" behind the green dome.    A long tube keeps the LED at a distance so that it's not just completely blowing out the clear acrylic spheres that make up the camera cluster.   Once I get the dome tinted clear green this should look pretty cool.

17KuJZ.jpg

Ncz5tj.jpg

cXVWZH.jpg

I love all the detail you are putting into the kit! The eye is great especially. The kit was big enough to have fun with. I think your paint job is coming along much better than mine did! - MT

Heading into the final prep on the body before painting starts.  Setting up the display base.  The wood will get routed on the underside to hide electonics,  then sanded nice and painted black.  The zentran emblem wiill get green and yellow I suppose.ISKfme.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back on this a bit,  adding more details to the engine bells, also adding some extra veneer nozzles to the inside of the engines.   I can add 2 pre paint, then paint,  then add the LED for the engine lights,  then add the last 2 (painted separately).  Otherwise the LED won't fit.   Also routed out all the channels for the eye and engine light wires.  Not a fun part but necessary.   Getting ready to do the final smoothing on the body.

8xoJHJ.jpg

BD45oz.jpg

9bDqCb.jpg

agLUPZ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...