Waterslide decals on old Matte Yammies

raptormesh

Hi guys,

Looking for advice here, I am planning to place some waterslide decals on a few matte Yamato birds and am wondering if I need to sand or use primers. Does anyone have any experience with this? I read about using a waterslide prep solution but that's just to allow the decal to slide freely right? Just worried about the decals peeling over time. 

Thanks!

While gloss is ideal, I've had reasonable success without it on Yamato VF-1 valks. Though that was on white, admittedly. What are you wanting to tackle?

Might be worth looking at @no3Ljm's progress on his Arcadia valks for some tips. Since we're usually dealing with lighter plastics, you can get away with a lot less surface prep than you would on a darker model. 

13 minutes ago, mickyg said:

While gloss is ideal, I've had reasonable success without it on Yamato VF-1 valks. Though that was on white, admittedly. What are you wanting to tackle?

Might be worth looking at @no3Ljm's progress on his Arcadia valks for some tips. Since we're usually dealing with lighter plastics, you can get away with a lot less surface prep than you would on a darker model. 

water slide decal silvering is really noticeable on dark surface. If it is a white plastic/white painted surface, I dont think you will have a problem. I had reasonable success as well on using decals on satin finish (painted with Tamiya AS spray paint) surface and bare plastic of Bandai.

23 hours ago, chyll2 said:

water slide decal silvering is really noticeable on dark surface. If it is a white plastic/white painted surface, I dont think you will have a problem. I had reasonable success as well on using decals on satin finish (painted with Tamiya AS spray paint) surface and bare plastic of Bandai.

Unfortunately I am attempting it on a very dark background. It's Gamlin's VF-22. 

23 hours ago, mickyg said:

Thanks, will check those out. The water decals I am planning to use are quite small as well. Might make a few test runs before using the targeted decal.