Diorama 1/72 VF-1EA Howler on Ready 5

NZEOD

Too much wiring for the electric EL Strip, but you probably mean the stick on tape.

Good idea, that would give it some originality.

Edited by arbit

Just now, arbit said:

I've seen different photo etch hinges I want to try on a cockpit. These look as small as 1-2mm. 

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Mini-hinges-workable.html

:blink: ... them some TINY hinges that I never knew existed... Thanks arbit!

I'm sure we'll be able to find a plethora of uses for these

cool idea but... in order to work for a canopy you'd have to mount those hinges on the outside surface, otherwise due to the thickness of the canopy acrylic, if attached to the inside, when opened it would bind up.

3 hours ago, NZEOD said:

cool idea but... in order to work for a canopy you'd have to mount those hinges on the outside surface, otherwise due to the thickness of the canopy acrylic, if attached to the inside, when opened it would bind up.

Or, we could file a groove in the canopy and mount on the inside.

Will have to see when they arrive.

So suggestions... what do you think a display like this would be worth? Thinking of doing another 3, one a scorpions vf1ea, another a Rattlers vf1j or s interceptor armef fighter and one a vf1j bomber armed plane of the swordsmen. It woukd use up on italeri deck, one fujima flight deck crew or a shapeways ewuivalent, one fujima ordnance kit, one hazegawa call and a pilot or 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 1:14 AM, arbit said:

What's it worth? To sell to others?

On 1/19/2018 at 3:10 AM, NZEOD said:

Yep

I don't know the market, but search Built Painted Models on Ebay. Doesn't seem fast moving though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another resource Video for any Deck builders out there. 

Taken POV from the Catapult Centre Deck Operators view. 

Shows a lot of the activity of the Cat crew for alternative positioning on our dioramas besides the moment of actual launch. I especially like the crew crowded around and hugging underside of the outside Hornet while they await the launch of the centre aircraft.

Edited by NZEOD

Another Vid, this one from the Topside Petty officer POV (The green shirt hooking the Aircraft to the Catapult Shoe). 

Shows the Redshirt Ordnance Petty officer setting the aircraft to Weapons Systems Armed prior to launch by setting the Master Arm above the forward landing gear bay.

Also shows whats actually checked by the TPO when they are looking at the nose gear, cat shoe and holdback bar immediately before launch.

KEY NOTE: At 13.10 you will see the pilot complete his instrument scan and instead of a salute gives the dilibrate and clear headshake signal indicating an aircraft fault. The crew then have to remove the aircraft from catapult (Break Down the aircraft from launch) which you don't normally see on youtube and movie clips. The joys of Legacy aircraft beyond their hours, budget cuts and that Ahole Murphy.

Also what bugs me as a Soldier is the physical difference between Navy and Army. There are some FAT Navy pers clearly skipping PT! 

Edited by NZEOD

Next up... you get to see the White Shirts, the Safety Observers, in action. One will spot a fault on a tail hook cover right before launch calling a halt and rectify to the launch, another will use the handy cutouts in the vests of the shooter to yank him back after he crosses the imaginary line drawn from the wingtip sidewinder pylon forward after the Ordnance crew make the aircraft live (Weapons External Master Arm On) and he walks into where the missile could fly if it accidently activated. Even though there is no ordnance loaded at this time, you always go though the motions. ALWAYS.

Complacency kills.

And from this shooters casual attitude and hand signals he's familiar with complacency.

The Shooter then gets an on deck retraining chat which he's none to pleased with. That just makes his failure worse. In my trade, you screw up, you stand up, own it and learn from it, you don't shake you head about it.

Starts at 3.30

Edited by NZEOD

These vids are fantastic.  Going to take some time to watch them all through properly this week.  Not just the dude screwing up section of the last one - glad they put that up for all to see and hope this guy ended up getting the message.

Lots of little things going into making sure everything goes smoothly, every single time.

its actually his general lax attitude. His movements on deck, his hand signalling was less than deliberate... he just appears casual.

Building a deck scene at the moment with some guys in the process of releasing the Tie down chains on a Valk and running a preflight check.

New source of deck crew figures... http://reedoak.com/

• 3 years later...