Disney or Comcast buys Fox or Fox wants to sell to someone

Old_Nash

So, I don't think that article about Wolverine is recent enough to matter, since it sounds like that ship has already sailed.

However, now part of me is wondering what Disney's main motivation for this is.  This would give them complete ownership of the entire Star Wars franchise, I think, since Fox retained the distribution rights to ANH in perpetuity.

The other part of me is thinking of all the potential they just picked up for the MCU, and how we could theoretically get Deadpool in Infinity War... 

Indeed, there’s been talks for a few weeks now but nothing is set in stone and there could be complications. Like a lot of big companies out there, there could be a potential law suit due to Disney buying out other competition narrowing the gap between studios such as Sony, Paramount and Warner Bros. But also know that this is aimed directly at the film studio not fox in a whole so this doesn’t affect things like family guy, the simpsons and other television properties. This could and probably will affect movies like Deadpool though I think.

but also this could be beneficial for the Star Wars crowd of possibly seeing not only the traditional fox fanfare theme before the opening crawls BUT LFL and Disney would own the original theatrical cuts to episodes 4-6. 

If the purchase does happen which I expect it will does that mean Disney will also get FOX's huge library of films and TV shows? That'll probably add greatly to Disney's planned streaming service.

Alternatively I hoped Disney would have bought Netflix instead so I wouldn't have to sign up for another streaming service.

3 hours ago, Hikuro said:

but also this could be beneficial for the Star Wars crowd of possibly seeing not only the traditional fox fanfare theme before the opening crawls BUT LFL and Disney would own the original theatrical cuts to episodes 4-6. 

See.... I'd be all for them buying up the remaining Star Wars holding Fox owns.  Not having that fanfare at the start of TFA was unnerving, and I'd love see them be able to release the original cuts again.

If it means we can get more of the complications woven through the assorted Marvel franchises resolved, that's just a bonus.

It's not a done deal yet, but it's been reported that Disney wants Twenty-First Century Fox for their huge library of TV shows. Apparently Disney is banking on the success of their upcoming streaming app. In order to make that app more enticing, they want to add shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons, etc. As a dork, this is one of the few acquisitions that I'd actually be excited about, since all the Star Wars films will all be under one roof again.

This could work out great for the MCU, and Infinity War could spark M Day.  Think about it, Vision dies, and Scarlett Witch loses it, but instead of wiping out Mutants she finds a universe where Mutants like her exists and merges them, here come the X-Men.  Creating and Ultimate X-Men type storyline might be too messy at this point, i.e. mutants were created in an effort to recreate the super soldier serum.  Though if you use the young X-Men you could explain it as they hadn't matured enough to have powers yet, but a small handful of mutants did exist.

Though I wonder what impact this will have on Dark Phoenix.

MCU and Star Wars aside, I’m very weary about this sale. Fox would only retain their news and sports channels but would sell everything else. That would make Disney quite a big entertainment company and could bring monopoly issues. 

9 minutes ago, azrael said:

MCU and Star Wars aside, I’m very weary about this sale. Fox would only retain their news and sports channels but would sell everything else. That would make Disney quite a big entertainment company and could bring monopoly issues. 

Well, speaking of monopolies, I hear their other big suitor is Comcast, and buying Fox's assets will give them a majority 60% stake in Hulu.

3 hours ago, azrael said:

which case another studio or even the us government gets involved with a possible lawsuit to help block the sale.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-21st-century-fox-comcast-sale-out-1202636618/

This is probably the nail in the coffin and confirmation that the Mouse will own a considerable number of properties. Beyond Marvel stuff, Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Aliens, Predator, Orville, etc...

16 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Wow, I thought the deal didn't include any of the television properties.  That's... really bizarre to consider the implications of.

I'm pretty okay with Disney consolidating Marvel and Star Wars, but bringing in everything else Fox is known for is a bit bonkers. :blink:

That's why I have a problem with this. Fox is selling the movie and television studios, yet keeping news and sports. Every TV show and movie coming under 20th Century Fox's banner would now be under the Mouse's banner. And that's a lot. I'm not looking just at Marvel properties under Fox's belt, I'm looking at everything else.

I’m dumbfounded by the fanboys crying “X-Men and Fantastic Four are coming back home!” And they’re bringing roommates with them. Disney isn’t just getting Marvel stuff with this deal. 

31 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

...and someone doodling a xenomorph in a tiara and ball gown. :ph34r: 

Mind boggling isn’t it?

45 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'd be thrilled if we can bring that back, but the thought of literally everything else going along with it is making my head spin.

That, and some conversation I was having with friends over the potential implications, and someone doodling a xenomorph in a tiara and ball gown. :ph34r: 

Maybe not the Zenomorph but a Princess Ripley is practically a given...

7 hours ago, azrael said:

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-21st-century-fox-comcast-sale-out-1202636618/

This is probably the nail in the coffin and confirmation that the Mouse will own a considerable number of properties. Beyond Marvel stuff, Simpsons, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Aliens, Predator, Orville, etc...

Can't say that I'm surprised that Comcast dropped out. With the imminent repeal of Net Neutrality, there's no reason for Comcast to get into a costly bidding war with Disney when they can profit as the gatekeepers of all of Disney's shows when they're released on Disney's streaming service.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Ugh. More streaming apps to deal with in the future. 

My gut reaction is to agree... Netflix's focus on original content is largely driven by the fact that they've lost a lot of their library as every network/studio under the sun decides not to do renewed deals with them so that they can try to launch their own subscription service. And if I subscribed to all of them I'd be paying more than I ever did for cable.

In practice, though, I've kept my subscriptions down to just Netflix and Amazon (and Amazon pretty much just because I wanted Prime shipping). The reality is that most networks/studios, on their own, don't have enough appealing content to get be to pay a monthly fee over just cherry picking the stuff I want on Blu-ray. 

A combined Disney/Fox portfolio, though... not gonna lie, monopoly fears aside, that's a library that might just get me to open my wallet.

I too fear the subscriptiongeddon may be coming, and all I can think is that there will be an even bigger boost in piracy. Nobody is going to get nickel and dimed beyond what they paid for cable, people will just start torrenting every exclusive series they don't feel like paying a one month subscription for. Also, yes, the Disney entertainment monopoly is scary, some things need to get broken up.

Should net neutrality end, prepare to open your wallet wider as you'll need the super-duper premium package just to stream any content.

Again, amongst the fanboys, they are only seeing "OMG X-Men & FF are coming home!" "SW is whole again!". What about all the franchises coming with this deal? What about streaming content? I can see Disney selling off Hulu in favor of their home-grown subscription service. Subscribe to Netflix? Amazon Prime? Prepare to have another subscription service raiding your wallet.

On that same note, has anyone done an itemized breakdown of what the Mouse is getting in this deal?

I think trying to process exactly what Disney will be taking over is both too mind boggling and too ridiculous to comprehend for anyone to even attempt that yet.

What I can see happening though is that a bunch of Fox-owned properties that don't fit the Disney image will probably get sold off to other parties.  I mean, come on.  Do you seriously think anything on FX is going to get a Disney logo slapped on it?  Or that we're suddenly going to get a Springfield section in a Disney park? :p 

There's going to be some things that Disney gobbles up, and incorporates, sure.  But there is just sooooo much of Fox that Disney is going to want nothing to do with, and I only hope they just sell all those properties off piecemeal, rather than outright killing them.

Edited by Chronocidal

3 hours ago, azrael said:

On that same note, has anyone done an itemized breakdown of what the Mouse is getting in this deal?

Itemized, no. But I understand it to be everything except Fox News and Fox Sports- all their TV and film libraries, their networks, their studios, their stake in Hulu.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

... all their TV and film libraries, their networks, their studios, their stake in Hulu.

That’s what I want to know. What TV and film libraries are they getting? What stakes in services like Hulu are they getting? Etc...

I read somewhere it was a 60% stake of HULU - so in other words they would own it.

The scale of this deals bothers me, I like the house of mouse, I really do (*), but having one company control all of this AND what Disney already owns is too much.

(*) - I'm a Disney World annual pass owner and go there a whole bunch of times each year.