Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

For those that still want one, there's 2 VF-1J at amazon.jp for 27,500 that's full-fill by amazon and will ship out of japan.

Tax will be removed so it's 25463 yen, and shipping is 1200 yen.  Order Total:JPY 26,663 shipped $252 shipped

2 left.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/超時空要塞マクロス-約300mm-ファイター時-ダイキャスト-塗装済み可動フィギュア/dp/B07FVSX5BL/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546320182&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dx+chogokin+vf-1j

2 hours ago, CF18 said:

Can the head drop down and acts as a turret in F and G mode?

I think it does. I remember seeing some prototype pics before.

2 hours ago, neuromancer said:

So I received mine today... I must say... I'm not happy with it... In fighter mode, it seems pretty good at least..

Here are my personal thoughts on it:

1. The nose folds down... and it does so rather easily. It will stay in if you touch it, so it's not floppy, but it's not particularly tight either. It technically tabs in, but there doesn't seem to be any tension from the tab. I feel like this a minor issue, but is an issue (at least for me). See my picture to see what I mean though

2. There's a door just behind the cockpit area (you can see it in the picture just above the heat shield)... The door opens up to show some detail, but I'm not really sure what purpose is served by it, I feel like it could break off kinda easily, but fortunately, it seems to stay closed decently, though it doesn't tab in. Fairly minor.

3. With the default articulate hands, the gunpod is held quite poorly. I struggle to get it in, and it doesn't stay in very well at all. I felt this was a problem on the v2's, but it's much worse here. This is a less minor issue... but I will say that  at least without the gun, the hands themselves are otherwise definitely way better than on the Yamato/Arcadia v2's FWIW.

4. The fins on the legs don't really lock into any position, so they to end up being moved out of place very easily (see my picture).

5. And finally the legs... As soon as I started moving from gerwalk to battroid mode, both of the legs popped off... And they're clearly designed to come off. After being very careful, I was able to transform into battroid mode without popping off the legs, and it was easy to get them plugged into the nose correctly (other than the effort to keep the legs attached). So I'm not sure why they went with this design choice. It's pretty clear that this was a deliberate design choice and not a QC issue. The legs have a little plastic door mechanism so you can attach/detach the legs pretty easily... And although there's some decent tension on this door, it's not enough due to the weight of the legs. To me at least, this is a pretty big deal... How long has the v2 been out now? Since 2008? I know I got my first one in 2010... Yamato got this right 8-10 years ago on a 1/60 scale toy. I feel like they probably did this so people could just detach the legs to make the transformation easier, but as I said, it wasn't hard at all for me to get them into position while keeping the legs attached.

What's really disappointing to me is that, other than the issues, this would be a fantastic toy. The limbs otherwise feel REALLY good. The plastic is great. The tampo is awesome. I really like the look of the gunpod (I haven't tried attaching the strap to it).

There's a new arm delivery mechanism that's pretty cool, though I don't know that I think it's ultimately better than the Yamato/Arcadia approach, but it's definitely well designed.

I'm going to think about it for a few days, but I think I may just end up selling it. Different things bug different people, but the detaching leg issue is a going to be a deal  breaker for me. Makes it feel a bit partsformer-esque.

Definitely looking forward to what other people have to say about this toy. There is a lot here that's really good and therefore others may end up loving it.

1. You can probably tighten the tab by brushing a coat of nailpolish.

2. Airbrake feature. Same as Yamato's 1/48 scale.

3. Not sure if there's a workaround on this. But I think you already posted something after.

4. Maybe you need to push back in the hinges more towards the leg(?).

5. Yeah, it was designed that way so that customers have the 'option' on having the nosecone rotates for additional articulation. And I think it's a good decision for having that. Because if not, then this release is just a redo of what's been done before.

2 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

lolol

Too bad I got downvoted for that. Hahaha! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Little door behind the canopy is the airbrake. 

Just the other day a coworker was just telling me about how back when he was in the air force someone in his unit got his head caught in the air brake when it closed. Poor fellow didn't make it.

Er, morbid anecdote aside, just whooshed her around a bit. The small, skinny Hikaru is much too small for his chair and shifts around a lot. Nothing a tiny dab of blue tack won't fix. And as was noted way back, the front landing gear door is too long and prevents the tow bar from being raised up a little under 90 degrees. So the DX suffers from droopy tow bar.

I welcome the detachable legs because it makes it so much easier to work on when you can take sections apart. ^_^

Oh, and Happy New Year to everyone! :yahoo:

1 hour ago, F360 said:

For those that still want one, there's 2 VF-1J at amazon.jp for 27,500 that's full-fill by amazon and will ship out of japan.

Tax will be removed so it's 25463 yen, and shipping is 1200 yen.  Order Total:JPY 26,663 shipped $252 shipped

2 left.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/超時空要塞マクロス-約300mm-ファイター時-ダイキャスト-塗装済み可動フィギュア/dp/B07FVSX5BL/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546320182&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=dx+chogokin+vf-1j

Is this the best price to get this now?

Out of interest, how much does it cost for it to be shipped to US for those that manage to get the PO on HLJ or other site?

5 minutes ago, Saburo said:

Some quick shots.

compare.jpg.7d1e0288629cb2d7aecdab3580fe5f13.jpg

:wub: 

11 minutes ago, kkx said:

Out of interest, how much does it cost for it to be shipped to US for those that manage to get the PO on HLJ or other site?

From what I remember from members who ordered it via Nippon-Yasan, they were asked to pay an additional of Y700+. But their online calculator shows Y4500 for EMS. So expect the EMS shipping that they were charging is around Y5200+. The box is as same as the DX YF-19, in which they also did the same for asking an additional of Y700+.

From AmiAmi, I paid around Y7500+ for 2 units using DHL. I chose EMS upon ordering but they changed it to DHL since it was Y200-300 cheaper.

Hope that helps.

17 minutes ago, kkx said:

Is this the best price to get this now?

this is probably the best over the counter price right now due to the discounted shipping.

at HLJ PO , price was 18,000 yen. + 4690 yen for ems shipping. (4550 yen fedex)

1 hour ago, F360 said:

2 left.

Just went on now and it says that they have 4 in stock via third party seller.

Best wished to all in 2019 as it's 10:50 PM PST in YVR with an hour and ten mins to go.. :D

3 hours ago, neuromancer said:

So I received mine today... I must say... I'm not happy with it... In fighter mode, it seems pretty good at least..

Here are my personal thoughts on it:

1. The nose folds down... and it does so rather easily. It will stay in if you touch it, so it's not floppy, but it's not particularly tight either. It technically tabs in, but there doesn't seem to be any tension from the tab. I feel like this a minor issue, but is an issue (at least for me). See my picture to see what I mean though:Bandai-VF-1J-scaled.thumb.jpg.382b88a96f4c01b65e90c033df8a9a34.jpg

4. The fins on the legs don't really lock into any position, so they to end up being moved out of place very easily (see my picture).

Grab the leg fin, press it firmly inward. It's on a sliding hinge and, for whatever reason, that hinge is extended  when you first pull the toy out. If you recess the hinge, it won't totally lock it into place, and it will extend again if you hit it hard enough, but it should tighten enough to not be much of an annoyance.

10 minutes ago, F360 said:

this is probably the best over the counter price right now due to the discounted shipping.

I pulled the trigger. I am accepting the mark up as a penalty tax for not PO. Thanks for the heads up. I've been refreshing the amazon, hlj, and 1999 sites nonstop for the slightest chance. Ultimately I eat the ~$40 and get my new toy in week! Happy New Year!

21 minutes ago, F360 said:

Ok, thanks.

6 minutes ago, dierbot said:

I pulled the trigger. I am accepting the mark up as a penalty tax for not PO. Thanks for the heads up. I've been refreshing the amazon, hlj, and 1999 sites nonstop for the slightest chance. Ultimately I eat the ~$40 and get my new toy in week! Happy New Year!

Same here, my new year gift to myself. :)

My first and only Macross toy.

A quick question for those that have this at hand, do you think the Hasegawa 1/48 missile set will work with some minor mod? From the photos that I can find of the missile set, it seems to be possible to add a small peg of the right size to the pylon.

11MHA26_Macross-Robotech-VF-1-Valkyrie-Weapon-Set.jpg

1 hour ago, F360 said:

2 left.

It was at 25,000 yen just the other day. Must’ve went back up, think I should’ve bit the bullet and pulled the trigger...

12 minutes ago, kkx said:

A quick question for those that have this at hand, do you think the Hasegawa 1/48 missile set will work with some minor mod? From the photos that I can find of the missile set, it seems to be possible to add a small peg of the right size to the pylon.

11MHA26_Macross-Robotech-VF-1-Valkyrie-Weapon-Set.jpg

From @tekering's post from Page 93:

same same, but different.jpg

Looking at it, I'm thinking, is it ok to insert some magnets into it?

42 minutes ago, jenius said:

Grab the leg fin, press it firmly inward. It's on a sliding hinge and, for whatever reason, that hinge is extended  when you first pull the toy out. If you recess the hinge, it won't totally lock it into place, and it will extend again if you hit it hard enough, but it should tighten enough to not be much of an annoyance.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:38 PM, nightmareB4macross said:

I hope we are not going to revisit the whole fragile leg fin fiasco from the DX YF-19. Some one has already reported that the fins are sheared at the pins.

A9A0172F-371C-4B48-B303-C3D344C748C6.png

You mean like this??

21 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

From @tekering's post from Page 93:

same same, but different.jpg

Looking at it, I'm thinking, is it ok to insert some magnets into it?

Good idea. I have some small rare earth magnet hanging around. Worth a try. Will buy a set of those Hasegawa weapons.

Transformed the DX. If you've handled a Yamato VF-1 before then the DX should be super easy for you to transform.

The lock that holds the legs to the swing bar is kinda weak and pops out somewhat easily, even when finished transforming to battroid and you're just trying to move the legs around.

Arms use the HMR-style sliding joints rather than the Yamato rotating shoulder joints, which are an improvement. Aside from that, transformation is identical to previous VF-1s. It does borrow the flip out chest/shoulder covers from the Arcadia VF-0.

Side covers were much easier to put in place than Yamato's. Putting them in and getting them to stay in place as you changed to battroid was always a gigantic hassle for me on Yamato's version, but it was super easy on the DX.

Gerwalk is the mode I'm least concerned with, but it looks spectacular here.

1115056583_DXVF-1J11.thumb.jpg.3f47b3b3b52b36a228c250695a1d0481.jpg

863766535_DXVF-1J12.thumb.jpg.a5d86a639a37cadbb6c7fb152140def4.jpg

This is probably the most poseable perfect transformation VF-1 I've ever handled, but it is limited by the wings folded in right behind the legs. It's a failing of the original design, not the toy. Battroid is otherwise capable of tons of poses.

1624201779_DXVF-1J13.thumb.jpg.c9868558266033dc20a4c7bcb8609caf.jpg

1639153186_DXVF-1J14.thumb.jpg.3b96702804f05cd2f27f5b51d1a0b206.jpg

Yes, it's balanced on one leg with no support whatsoever. Amazing work,, Bandai.

125122220_DXVF-1J15.thumb.jpg.6112a3fdfc5ee0193885e7b7bd943748.jpg

8 hours ago, seti88 said:

Bingo...does it work in fighter mode?

8 hours ago, CF18 said:

Can the head drop down and acts as a turret in F and G mode?

Are you guys talking about this?

20190101_191715.thumb.jpg.25380329af9ae4aa951903a7ae197008.jpg

For those who are having trouble with the swing bar, don't forget to tab the grey piece into the back of the nose cone. I find that locks the entire assembly in place rather solidly.

20190101_194220.thumb.jpg.2df2e1120e1004c248440d6b33f419f5.jpg

Edited by Actar

I tossed my DX into the display cabinet next to a 1/48 Yamato, using the regular display stand. The separate stand included with the DX was too big :)

The DX pilot is smaller than the Yamato but the DX gun is much heftier. Overall I really like fighter mode. Will wait until I get another copy to try out battroid. 

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

This is probably the most poseable perfect transformation VF-1 I've ever handled, but it is limited by the wings folded in right behind the legs. It's a failing of the original design, not the toy. Battroid is otherwise capable of tons of poses.

Yes, it's balanced on one leg with no support whatsoever. Amazing work,, Bandai.

125122220_DXVF-1J15.thumb.jpg.6112a3fdfc5ee0193885e7b7bd943748.jpg

Nice pics! That balancing pose got me wondering how you did it :rolleyes: Then remembered its all a matter of perspective!:good:

Pretty sure this is a "leap" in the right direction in terms of articulation...bandai got all the hinges in the right places, tight and sturdy... 

And yes, gerwalk mode sure is a looker...really makes me wish i got 2 more...for 3 modes and 1 MISB...

Thanks for the confirmation, so it seems tucked in arms don't hinder the neck pop out the head in fighter mode.. :pardon:
If i remember correctly, the dogfight scenes in M0 had valk head turning in fighter mode, but not in SDFM/DYRL...If wrong do correct me MW'ers..

Great toy. Solidly built, no paint misapps on my copy. Lower fins stay in place pretty well. The transparency of the canopy tabs bugged me, as did the translucence of the black canopy framing, so I grabbed a Sharpie and blacked out the inside of the framing as well as the tabs. Needs real paint, but I’m pleased with my two minute’s work. 

Interestingly, the main gear legs have little cut-outs in them to accommodate the hinges for the gear doors. It’s a nice touch. The gear legs also have the retraction struts attached, though the other end just floats. 

E917CF8E-3E79-4E2A-81E9-46C9D19118EB.jpeg

76BAE841-A4F2-431F-B787-03894924BF35.jpeg

Just mine, baby. Just mine. 

Another nice touch: the second antenna on the back of the fighter is spring-loaded to allow the backpack to fold flat. 

A96A7A41-EF67-4E3E-BC8C-51880CAC14B6.jpeg

D3BA3657-36FB-4F55-A9FA-8DD99FEDF799.jpeg