Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

23 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

-snipe-

But in terms of the entirety of "DX" VF-1's produced as a category...I'd say the current Bandai DX is a direct successor to the Yamato VF-1....and it's not even that giant of a leap forward IMO....

As a consumer this might be, but as a manufacturer you have a completely different approach to a product! I'm in product development myself, and really never care much about what other companies have developed or might come out with. We also have the Ferrari license to produce in 1/8 scale which other companies will not touch...

We are the industry standard in that scale, and don't look much at other manufactures that came previously!

As for the differences in 1/48 from Yamato to Bandai, the quality is quite different although from the outside they might look the same! Sure Bandai has disappointed us in more ways then one with the series but it is still the best out there in my opinion at that scale. 

Edited by grogall

1 hour ago, grogall said:

As a consumer this might be, but as a manufacturer you have a completely different approach to a product! I'm in product development myself, and really never care much about what other companies have developed or might come out with. We also have the Ferrari license to produce in 1/8 scale which other companies will not touch...

We are the industry standard in that scale, and don't look much at other manufactures that came previously!

As for the differences in 1/48 from Yamato to Bandai, the quality is quite different although from the outside they might look the same! Sure Bandai has disappointed us in more ways then one with the series but it is still the best out there in my opinion at that scale. 

I can see many companies failing with this approach....you can't just dismiss the competition, especially if they have a better product....perhaps your company is at the top of their niche so maybe you are looking down at the competition most of the time, but I am sure someone in your company still is 'looking' nonetheless to avoid getting surprised and outdone.... 

As for the direct successor, I was referring to the 1/60 Yamato VF-1 not the 1/48 Yamato VF-1 (which is technically further back in the 'DX' chain of VF-1 evolution)....and yes, the Bandai DX is better at the moment, but not by as much as one would expect after 10+ years of the Yamato V2's introduction)...again, irrelevant of scale

7 hours ago, herkulease said:

A dartboard would imply there's at a bare minimum some thought put into it. That is they at least picked out something to put on the board.

It feels more like some went "Oh i had a dream about this VF last night" lets make it that.

I feel like there has to be drugs or a very young toddler with a short attention span that's a part of this decision making process too. How else do they dredge out every possible canon and non-canon YF-29 design possible, so much so that they even re-issue the non-canon 30th anniversary Roy scheme (have they ever re-issued a non-canon scheme before this?), but seemingly get bored in the middle of releasing their VF-31 lineup or their 1/48 VF-1 lineup? I could see the WWM stuff causing their interest in the VF-1 line to cool, but they can export all the VF-31 toys they want overseas.

5 hours ago, grogall said:

Hasn't Mr. K done work for both Bandai and Yamato/Arcadia at this point? Or am I misremembering something I read here years ago?