Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Just now, easnoddy said:

I think it depends whether they're in atmosphere. I definitely remember smoke going through the intake of Hikaru's VF-1S near the end of the series.

I should have been more specific. Fockers intakes. He was only ever in atmo.:good:

Just now, vladykins said:

I have to rewatch but I'm 95% sure that intake covers close up only in Battroid mode.

I'm soooooo bad about remembering this stuff. Probably due to the multiple head injures.......:fool: And IDK where everyone gets these sweet screen shots from the shows. Google just sows me toys.

So this grab makes it look like it is open, even though you can't see the turbine, since it is in shadow, whereas Roy's battroid is clearly closed.

https://robotechreviewed.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/guardian-mode.png

OTOH, as Hikaru is crashing through buildings, this looks fully closed:

image.thumb.png.71cc4181cd5e35641a9e8df2476936fe.png

But when Roy comes in, the intake covers actually pop up after he goes to battroid:

image.thumb.png.ef545655572eb79f9fd478c04fb4d06f.png

image.thumb.png.0d7f84caf2c6b4f60cb65db01600d3ec.png

image.thumb.png.9623fadf12b6775673bc4d78a800dee1.png

image.thumb.png.683857fc453e5bc238da472542f70a6a.png

image.thumb.png.08eeafa6cb22e4c9ddc609a74d754788.png

image.thumb.png.a9998859276d6c2f3c64de3717179a1a.png

image.thumb.png.fcc54007231b3e39948947a889426790.png

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I did a review. Honestly, for MWers, it's just me talking about what you already know, especially after this many releases:

I just finished watching your review @jenius

Great job as always!  Hope your move is all done and went without any problems.

My only critique regarding your latest video... the green sweater you wore kind of clashed with the toy when you were handling it.  I would probably recommend wearing something with light grey or light blue sleeves. 

Thanks for making these review videos, and I can't wait to watch your next one!

29 minutes ago, vladykins said:

So this grab makes it look like it is open, even though you can't see the turbine, since it is in shadow, whereas Roy's battroid is clearly closed.

https://robotechreviewed.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/guardian-mode.png

OTOH, as Hikaru is crashing through buildings, this looks fully closed:

image.thumb.png.71cc4181cd5e35641a9e8df2476936fe.png

But when Roy comes in, the intake covers actually pop up after he goes to battroid:

image.thumb.png.ef545655572eb79f9fd478c04fb4d06f.png

image.thumb.png.0d7f84caf2c6b4f60cb65db01600d3ec.png

image.thumb.png.9623fadf12b6775673bc4d78a800dee1.png

image.thumb.png.683857fc453e5bc238da472542f70a6a.png

image.thumb.png.08eeafa6cb22e4c9ddc609a74d754788.png

image.thumb.png.a9998859276d6c2f3c64de3717179a1a.png

image.thumb.png.fcc54007231b3e39948947a889426790.png

18 minutes ago, vladykins said:

OK, was able to grab a gif of just the scene but might be too big to upload.

EDIT: it is too big, but clicking that link will take you to it.

https://kapwi.ng/c/ussb6MdC

Sweet! Thanks!

Where does one find these screen grabs at?

3 minutes ago, vladykins said:

I just had to remember which episode I wanted to grab from and did a quick search for it. This one was "Countdown" so I could pull that up in youtube, amazon, etc.

Oh, so those are actual screen grabs?

43 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I just finished watching your review @jenius

Great job as always!  Hope your move is all done and went without any problems.

My only critique regarding your latest video... the green sweater you wore kind of clashed with the toy when you were handling it.  I would probably recommend wearing something with light grey or light blue sleeves. 

Thanks for making these review videos, and I can't wait to watch your next one!

That's my favorite pajama shirt! It's so soft.... Maybe I can just pull the sleeves up....

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

That's my favorite pajama shirt! It's so soft.... Maybe I can just pull the sleeves up....

3 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I just did a spit-take while drinking my tea when I read that you did the review in your pajamas.

Well... so much for that keyboard. LOL

Hey, if the man feels sexy and bold in his PJs, more power to him! As long as the videos keep coming 8)

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

10 minutes ago, jenius said:

4 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Hey, if the man feels sexy and bold in his PJs, more power to him! As long as the videos keep coming 8)

What's the perfect job? The one you can do in your PJ's of course.

I have just always thought...closed in Battroid....opened for fighter and gerwalk...closed for any mode in space...

There are entire sequences, such as when Max and Millia are dogfighting in episode 18 , in which every scene seems to show Max's VF-1A in Battroid with it's covers fully closed yet his engines are clearly engaged....but when not flying in space...the covers are open for both fighter and gerwalk modes...unless it is transforming from either mode into Battroid, they seem to always just be closed in Battroid when on the ground or flying about...

@Seto Kaiba could probably provide the "in-universe" explanation as to when the covers should actually be on/off...

I'm going to pull the curtain way back on this one:
That shirt is probably like 5 years old and has slipped into a great many of my videos (again, it's my favorite). I also have a couple blue pajama shirts you'll see. Most videos (including that last one) probably have both blue and green in them since it takes me several nights of filming to make one video.

I usually work on the site after everyone has gone to bed... my kids staying up later and later has meant less and less time to work on it. I get like an hour or so in the evenings of anymoon time and it's usually the last thing I do before calling it a night... that and about 20 minutes of toy shopping :)

Noted though, the shirt is probably due to retire soon so when I go shopping for a replacement I'll try to stick to more neutral colors! 

Ooh also, I liked this intro shot for the article:

Bandai-DX-VF-1S-TV-Roy-11.jpg

Edited by jenius

3 hours ago, Angesdad said:

@Lolicon, Finally someone who can empathize with me.. The ball joint isn't the tightest on Roy but I find that 'ricketiness' actually comes from the extending/sliding parts inside the head. With the head popped out, you will see that the parts has too much play side to side. To remedy this, I cut up a small piece of thick, super-sticky Gorilla tape, stuck it between and now the play is pretty much gone. I've also addressed all the paint flaws this weekend. A layer of top coat (flat or semi-gloss depending on the area) does wonders covering and evening out imperfections. Yes, an airbrush is preferred and masking sucks. 

Finally I can sleep at night. Time to dress it up and put up some photos :good:

I don't know if you have them, but before paint correction and after paint correction pics would be appreciated for comparison.

Edited by MWUser

23 minutes ago, jenius said:

my kids staying up later and later has meant less and less time to work on it. I get like an hour or so in the evenings of anymoon time and it's usually the last thing I do before calling it a night... that and about 20 minutes of toy shopping :)

I read this line and looked at your picture and realized I have opened tons of Legos and other toys over the past few years....and only one release of the 5 DX's in your pic....:)

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I'm going to pull the curtain way back on this one:
That shirt is probably like 5 years old and has slipped into a great many of my videos (again, it's my favorite). I also have a couple blue pajama shirts you'll see. Most videos (including that last one) probably have both blue and green in them since it takes me several nights of filming to make one video.

I usually work on the site after everyone has gone to bed... my kids staying up later and later has meant less and less time to work on it. I get like an hour or so in the evenings of anymoon time and it's usually the last thing I do before calling it a night... that and about 20 minutes of toy shopping :)

Noted though, the shirt is probably due to retire soon so when I go shopping for a replacement I'll try to stick to more neutral colors! 

Ooh also, I liked this intro shot for the article:

It is such a beautiful shot!

Also, I appreciate you pulling the curtain back. I am very entertained!

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

What's the perfect job? The one you can do in your PJ's of course.

If you'd asked me to weigh in on this a year ago, I would have agreed 100%. Given how things have gone in 2020, though, I've moved closer to "PJ's Occasionally" for my perfect job. PJ's every day turned out to be a little too often for me....

18 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

If you'd asked me to weigh in on this a year ago, I would have agreed 100%. Given how things have gone in 2020, though, I've moved closer to "PJ's Occasionally" for my perfect job. PJ's every day turned out to be a little too often for me....

You are telling me.

I originally thought I would be making the big bucks working post-PhD.

However, because of the coronavirus, I am too afraid of going out and being in contact with other people.... especially now that the US gets about a quarter million new cases daily. 

As such, my current career goals until this pandemic is over is to be a housewife and maybe work really hard on having a baby.

And since Boston is really cold, I wear warm pajamas all the time.

27 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

You are telling me.

I originally thought I would be making the big bucks working post-PhD.

However, because of the coronavirus, I am too afraid of going out and being in contact with other people.... especially now that the US gets about a quarter million new cases daily. 

As such, my current career goals until this pandemic is over is to be a housewife and maybe work really hard on having a baby.

And since Boston is really cold, I wear warm pajamas all the time.

I've heard of wives that don't want to "work really hard" to have a baby; I haven't heard of the opposite before.

For social context, there are projections of what's been termed a COVID-19 baby boom; which if true, within 5-10 years will only increase demand on Bandai's products.

Edited by MWUser

2 hours ago, sil80jdm said:

Hey guys, I still haven’t received word or a reply froM

nippon yasan abour my order of the Dx strike parts. Im Getting a little worried now, they made me prepay and of course it’s way past my 6 month paypal Protection. Has anybody gotten theirs from ny? 

Your screwed @sil80jdm. Here is the right thread that you should be following and not on here. 

Edited by borgified

55 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

First half of my day in PJ's. Second half in shop/work clothes.:good:

20 minutes ago, MWUser said:

I've heard of wives that don't want to "work really hard" to have a baby; I haven't heard of the opposite before.
For social context, there are projections of what's been termed a COVID-19 baby boom; which if true, within 5-10 years will only increase demand on Bandai's products.

Because we waited for me to finish my PhD before getting married, I am already only 4 months away from hitting 29. 

I really want to have kids before I hit 30.

Hence, we are putting in a lot of work in. It gives us something to do while we stay indoors during the pandemic.

And yes, I will teach my kids to love valkyries and super dimensional fortresses!

Though, I have not decided yet if I will have my kids inherit my Macross toys, or if I will have them buried with me.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

12 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

What I haven’t heard before is it referred to as “work”. To me and my wife, that is fun time or “exercise” when using code around the kids. 

The work happens after that 30 or so minutes of "exercise." Depending on different factors, the work will be up to 18 years on average per successful "exercise."

Edited by crackpot
P-90(se)X

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Because we waited for me to finish my PhD before getting married, I am already only 4 months away from hitting 29. 

I really want to have kids before I hit 30.

Hate to say it, but, unless you really are a cat (or, at least, have the uterus of one), or my math is wrong (like it usually is) you might be too late on that goal.  Keep working hard, though.  I'm sure your husband thanks you for it.

Edit*  Hahahahaha!!  Yup.....math is wrong.  That's why I do what I do.  Ha!!

Edited by mantisfists