Jump to content

Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1


IXTL

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Don't know if it's referring to what I said. :lol:

My hot take is that Bandai has a sincere passion for reinventing things using inferior methods.  For whatever reason, they can and will refuse to use a tried and proven method of making something work, and substitute their own less-effective version.  The leg fins, and arm and leg locking mechanisms (and landing gear doors :ph34r:) worked much better on the Yamato design.  Bandai just decided that they didn't need to imitate success.  For some reason.

It's like there's some kind of universal balance equation that they have to maintain, and for every improvement they make over a previous iteration, they have to also introduce one new flaw that was never a problem before.  Like.. how do you do that?  How do you invent new problems to introduce to a design, when everyone forever has gotten it right already?

Insert your own Thanos meme here. :p 

+1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, treatment said:

It may be that Yamato-Toys/Arcadia holds the patent(s) on the designs and mechanisms/methods.

Bandai does not want to pay for 'em and just decide to simply Bandai'd themselves and us...

See, I feel like that's a stretch, considering all the things they had absolutely no qualms about copying nearly verbatim from the Yamato design.

I could be wrong, I really have no idea what sorts of individual features may be covered under a copyright, but that still doesn't excuse Bandai's engineers from not coming up with something that at least copies the function, if not the exact design.  There are many, many ways to design a locking tab mechanism.  They just didn't use any of them.

Otherwise, I need to go remember where I ordered Kakizaki from.. I think that might be the item I'm waiting for to ship my Legioss and extra missile set from Anime Export.

Edited by Chronocidal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

See, I feel like that's a stretch, considering all the things they had absolutely no qualms about copying nearly verbatim from the Yamato design.

I could be wrong, I really have no idea what sorts of individual features may be covered under a copyright, but that still doesn't excuse Bandai's engineers from not coming up with something that at least copies the function, if not the exact design.  There are many, many ways to design a locking tab mechanism.  They just didn't use any of them.

Otherwise, I need to go remember where I ordered Kakizaki from.. I think that might be the item I'm waiting for to ship my Legioss and extra missile set from Anime Export.

Perhaps just plain Bandai arrogance and possibly plain disdain for non-battroid modes , then.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without having access to the meeting records between T-Rex and Bandai, we may never know who made what decision.  Regardless, the client, which is Bandai in this case, makes all final approvals.  The clip holding the arms on the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1s may have been a Yamato idea and thus Bandai can't use it.  :unknw:  So we blame whoever puts their name on the box!  :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, always too many absolute assumptions. Just because something’s design was credited to one person or group doesn’t mean every final detail was their choice. Way to many factors to say anything other than what worked and what didn’t on the final product. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

Without having access to the meeting records between T-Rex and Bandai, we may never know who made what decision.  Regardless, the client, which is Bandai in this case, makes all final approvals.  The clip holding the arms on the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1s may have been a Yamato idea and thus Bandai can't use it.  :unknw:  So we blame whoever puts their name on the box!  :p

 

45 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, always too many absolute assumptions. Just because something’s design was credited to one person or group doesn’t mean every final detail was their choice. Way to many factors to say anything other than what worked and what didn’t on the final product. 

Totally makes sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, obakesan said:

So after all the failing miserably to secure a Roy in pre order madness I broke down and got me a Hikaru TV instead so feeling better now. :D

IMG_20200730_091654.jpg

I don't blame you one bit, as you know, I ended up getting a Hikaru DYRL VF-1S because I wanted one in hand before I get my Roy (Assuming Nin-Nin comes through). Despite the issues with the arms not locking solidly in fighter mode, it is very detailed and looks good on it's stand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Excellent pic!!! Really like the angle and posing of the 1S head!!!

Thanks Ignacio, I love the head position as well. I was trying to capture 5 1/48,and 2 1/60 in the same picture. I do love posing my figures... every few months...

20200730_102936.jpg.0dea4529393c17de2381137c5757d50c.jpghikmax.jpg.863ca04ee6872285d33dcb1c5b7fcb1a.jpg

From the front, you can see how the head is cocked to one side. All things considered, I am lad Bandai gave the1/48 VF-1 design a try. You really feel its heft, while you handle this thing. Also, i like how the feet make the metallic "tiiing" noise when you bump into them with your fingers or nails. I really wish they would have handled the swing bar differently, but hey.... It is what it is. 

Edited by vlenhoff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

Thanks Ignacio, I love the head position as well. I was trying to capture 5 1/48,and 2 1/60 in the same picture. I do love posing my figures... every few months...

20200730_102936.jpg.0dea4529393c17de2381137c5757d50c.jpg

From the front, you can see how the head is cocked to one side. 

The head position is what I would expect if he had just been hit in the back with a woefully under-powered shot by a an opponents that should be running instead of fighting. Something along the lines of "Seriously? Are you kidding me with this crap? Beat it kid".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

The head position is what I would expect if he had just been hit in the back with a woefully under-powered shot by a an opponents that should be running instead of fighting. Something along the lines of "Seriously? Are you kidding me with this crap? Beat it kid".

LOL. now I need to change the head position...

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

41786EE7-EFC7-49C8-9090-D9EAD7511CB3.gif.3521775d5f59010bcfa74104169297ba.gif

Pretty much...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

41786EE7-EFC7-49C8-9090-D9EAD7511CB3.gif.3521775d5f59010bcfa74104169297ba.gif

Perfecto!!!!!:hail:

 

51 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

LOL. now I need to change the head position...

Oh man, leave it. It's awesome! So much conveyed in a single look. Fantastic!:good:

That said, I would expect it out of Roy more than Hikaru.

Put the cavity fillers in though. I'm going to have a stroke!:rofl:

Edited by sqidd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sqidd said:

Perfecto!!!!!:hail:

 

Oh man, leave it. It's awesome! So much conveyed in a single look. Fantastic!:good:

That said, I would expect it out of Roy more than Hikaru.

Put the cavity fillers in though. I'm going to have a stroke!:rofl:

i do like the cavity fillers too, but it is not a deal breaker. If the animation would have not shown those gap fillers, i would have been perfectly ok without them. I love Kawamori's VF-1 design too much anyway. Maybe if they make a 1/35th scale, they can incorporate those into the design.

All that aside, I believe the VF-1 legs get more attractive with each iteration of the valk. The 1/60 ver 2 made them sleek and refined. Now this Dxmakes the legs refined but also a bit more angular in some places. 

Edited by vlenhoff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Put the cavity fillers in though. I'm going to have a stroke!:rofl:

If you did have a stroke... You'll be still in the game, however with with blood thinners and anti-cholesterol medication for the rest of your life. Plus you would have to think twice about who to leave your collection as you can't take it with you in your afterlife (unless you want to be buried with it like uber rich kings and queens).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, borgified said:

If you did have a stroke... You'll be still in the game, however with with blood thinners and anti-cholesterol medication for the rest of your life. Plus you would have to think twice about who to leave your collection as you can't take it with you in your afterlife (unless you want to be buried with it like uber rich kings and queens).

 

@Rogueload has been nominated to sell my collection for my wife if I die. With a healthy commission of course. A grim thought, but pragmatic. It's a pretty big chunk of money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

@Rogueload has been nominated to sell my collection for my wife if I die. With a healthy commission of course. A grim thought, but pragmatic. It's a pretty big chunk of money.

You are not allowed to die because 1) we'd miss you and 2) our pocketbooks couldn't afford it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Awwww, that's sweet.:wub:

The day @Rogueload posts my entire collection on MW.:p

DimpledSingleBlackfish-size_restricted.g

 

lol, how big is your collection anyway?

I don't know what I'd do with mine if the coof gets me or something. Probably wouldn't sell for much anyway since most of mine are not mint condition and have been weathered or customized in some way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MacrossJunkie said:

lol, how big is your collection anyway?

I don't know what I'd do with mine if the coof gets me or something. Probably wouldn't sell for much anyway since most of mine are not mint condition and have been weathered or customized in some way.

Hmmm....good call.  Mine isn't as large as @sqidd but some of mine would sell good.  I think I'd just want all my homies to pour one out for me and then throw a bunch of Valks in fighter mode over a cliff so they have one last swooooosh.

 

BraveGentleEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

lol, how big is your collection anyway?

I don't know what I'd do with mine if the coof gets me or something. Probably wouldn't sell for much anyway since most of mine are not mint condition and have been weathered or customized in some way.

$90K:shok:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vladykins said:

You are not allowed to die because 1) we'd miss you and 2) our pocketbooks couldn't afford it.

This.

Also, another gratuitous pic for the thread. 

20200731_110834.jpg.cb1d325434b96675f95fbc538df5d302.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

$90K:shok:

That number scares me...mainly because I have no idea how much stuff I have and how much I paid for it all but I'm pretty sure I have WAY more than you do. I spent much of my life collecting with the thought that I would pass it on to my kids someday but at the same time, it's a pretty big burden to even look through that much stuff let alone haul it around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

That number scares me...mainly because I have no idea how much stuff I have and how much I paid for it all but I'm pretty sure I have WAY more than you do. I spent much of my life collecting with the thought that I would pass it on to my kids someday but at the same time, it's a pretty big burden to even look through that much stuff let alone haul it around.

You're probably triple that!8P

I can't imagine the cubic footage your collection takes up. Just the boxes for mine take up 6 very well organized (think Tetris) 48x18x72 shelving units (216cu ft). I'm going to probably need a couple more.

Assuming that we don't have a major depression and/or civil war in the next 4-5 years I'll be looking to get in my forever hose. I am not looking forward to un-displaying, packing, moving and re-displaying my stuff. That said, whatever I get for a house is going to have one kick butt toy room/office. I'm thinking 600-750sq ft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, sqidd said:

You're probably triple that!8P

I can't imagine the cubic footage your collection takes up. Just the boxes for mine take up 6 very well organized (think Tetris) 48x18x72 shelving units (216cu ft). I'm going to probably need a couple more.

Assuming that we don't have a major depression and/or civil war in the next 4-5 years I'll be looking to get in my forever hose. I am not looking forward to un-displaying, packing, moving and re-displaying my stuff. That said, whatever I get for a house is going to have one kick butt toy room/office. I'm thinking 600-750sq ft.

Look forward to seeing that! I've moved so many times with my collection and of course, it gets harder each time as I amass more and more. In the end, I will say that moving the toys is a breeze compared with the Comic Books. Hauling around 30 full long boxes up and down stairs across the country is a BITCH!

Edited by Slave IV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

@Rogueload has been nominated to sell my collection for my wife if I die. With a healthy commission of course. A grim thought, but pragmatic. It's a pretty big chunk of money.

If I die after having children, I would want my Macross collection to pass on to my kids.

If I die before having children, hmmm..... I am not sure what I would want to happen. My fiance is not a Macross fan. Maybe donate to charity?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not the dying.....it's the fact that even after you go, you KNOW your wife, GF, kids, siblings whatever, are at some point going to have to:

A. Figure out how to transform your Valks and other things back to the "In The Box" mode to sell them ..(I'm thinking the SV-262 DX will be a fun one to watch them do from the afterlife or the blood drawing VF-17 Yamato)

OR

B. Just throw them in a box like they are...In my case this a particularly terrifying thought as a lot of my collection is actual models I have poured hours of my life into building over the years. 

 

and your going to be watching all this....LOOOL! 

Edited by derex3592
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to be too morbid, but I keep a spreadsheet with my collection, and their original purchase price, just as a reference point.

Personally, if my Macross things were to be sold off, I'd like to stipulate that they go to someone here without whatever it is first, and at retail price.  Rather spread the joy than make a profit.  Even the retail total is a fairly chunky sum. :p 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...