Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

2 hours ago, tekering said:

I'm so glad Bandai stuck with the VF-1J grey for Max's 1A...

So much nicer than Yamato's shock-white.

Looking gorgeous! I am glad I am getting two of this. :) 

Maybe it is due to WB, all the photo I have seen so far seems to indicate that Max is much more on the white side compared to the 1J. Even the youtube review video make it looks that when the two are seen side by side. Weird. 

Glad to hear from your in-person impression. It looks much better this way.

Looks a little busy from top perspective but I quite like the panel lining on the chest to offset just the plain white, more for max than for hikaru since he has that nice red. How would I go about doing so? A gundam marker? I know you have to apply top coat or something for gunpla but feel scared to do so on this toy.

Just received mine and it looks awesome!  Don’t see any cracks or other oddities - haven’t checked the shoulder joints yet but will do that after my conf call.  This is my first DX Chogokin and I’m really impressed by the weight of this thing.  It was also my first time ordering direct from Japan and have no complaints...product was well packaged and arrived extremely quickly.  I didn’t get charged duty either.  Two thumbs up for anime-export.

B25B5A3A-C938-48C1-BF21-8E18666B33EB.jpeg

edit: 

I think the panel lines are fine as-is.  I was of the same mindset initially that there wasn’t enough detail and that panel lining would be a way to bring out more depth, but...at least in person, the lines seem visible and fine as-is.

edit 2: shoulder joints are normal.

0D6A05BB-2009-4E4E-A975-9A4C0BA0607A.jpeg

Edited by Digitalfiend

1 hour ago, kkx said:

Maybe it is due to WB, all the photo I have seen so far seems to indicate that Max is much more on the white side compared to the 1J. Even the youtube review video make it looks that when the two are seen side by side. Weird. 

It’s definitely a greyish white colour and darker than I expected too, which is a good thing.

Because I "pre-ordered" my Max from NY so late literally days ago makes me wonder if I'll actually get one at all?? 

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that's for sure.

Though they still claim to have VF-1J in stock so which is somewhat reassuring.. I think.  :unsure:

Getting back into Macross I was going to just have the DX 1:48 as my sole line of toys now but I also ordered a DX YF-19! Have a sweet spot for them! :D

36 minutes ago, Saviant said:

I just recieved my VF-1A from Plaza Japan, I am very impressed with them, ordered Thursday night, shipped Friday afternoon and here in Australia on Tuesday.

I opened up and checked the shoulder hinges on mine and they are correct.

IMG_3717.jpg

Good to hear they arrived in Australia so quickly! I have three items ordered with NY so hopefully they all come together. 

3 hours ago, spanner said:

Because I "pre-ordered" my Max from NY so late literally days ago makes me wonder if I'll actually get one at all?? 

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that's for sure.

Though they still claim to have VF-1J in stock so which is somewhat reassuring.. I think.  :unsure:

Getting back into Macross I was going to just have the DX 1:48 as my sole line of toys now but I also ordered a DX YF-19! Have a sweet spot for them! :D

Welcome back! :good:

9 hours ago, gerwookie said:

Looks a little busy from top perspective but I quite like the panel lining on the chest to offset just the plain white, more for max than for hikaru since he has that nice red. How would I go about doing so? A gundam marker? I know you have to apply top coat or something for gunpla but feel scared to do so on this toy.

Just google/search the forums on panel lining. Lots of folks have given advice on it in many forms...

7 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Looks pretty good, but why he yellow arrow on the head.

Someone got detail happy.

Homage to DYRL max VF-1A? 

17 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Sweet. Good to know. Mine is still in “pre-payment ok” stage. Not even prepping yet and I snagged on PO night haha.

Same situation...did you choose the slow shipping option as well?

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Oof, that's going to sting some, the pre-orders for those are definitely in scalper range right now.

The sad part is that they'll be even higher post-release...

Yeah was a little expensive but what can you do. Not really available many other places.

I was browsing through other Valkyries listed on NY and they have the 31A available for 71,500yen! Whoa! Crazy expensive! 

Edited by spanner

4 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Oof, that's going to sting some, the pre-orders for those are definitely in scalper range right now.

The sad part is that they'll be even higher post-release...

You think they will climb higher right away?

2 minutes ago, sqidd said:

You think they will climb higher right away?

The Hikaru VF-1S? Oh hell yes they will, that's his DYRL ride, and DYRL is bigger than the macross TV show in Japan as I recall.

Just look at the pre-order madness difference between the 1A and the 1S.

13 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The Hikaru VF-1S? Oh hell yes they will, that's his DYRL ride, and DYRL is bigger than the macross TV show in Japan as I recall.

Just look at the pre-order madness difference between the 1A and the 1S.

Yikes!