Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Wow what a gunpod rack! Erm i mean as in the novel way to store away the gunpod.......no offense plz!. :lol:

no hairline crack near the front top intakes of my copy.

And kudos to your presentation portions on the comparisons! Impeccably done with nice transition and overlay of graphics! :good::good:

:yahoo:

Edited by seti88

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

You seem to think that they've ever worried about paint rubbing.  Have you seen the Delta valks? :lol: 

LOL yea of all the VF's Bandai is making the VF-1 is the one that's the least prone to paint rubbing. Paint rub has been standard for Bandai since Frontier with the VF-1s affected the least out of all.

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I'll probably quit after Focker's 1S as far as VF-1s go. They're nice but too big and out of place among my 1/60s. TBH I only bought Hikaru and Roy from the Yamato 1/48 line, so I guess that's my limit for that scale.

I'd rather Bandai knock my socks off with a 1/48 VF-25. I recall they teased one years ago. I still want it!

That 1/48 VF-25 was a model, love to see a DX 1/48 VF-25 too though 

It seems DX VF-1 has a few elements from Arcadia's VF-0 too, like to very noticeable shoulder flap covers the gap. The DX VF-1's knee an ankle joints design also looks very similar to VF-0 (both rear landing gear doors are hard to open...). In the end, VF-0 is the most modern VF-1ish design from Arcadia (still 4 years old), too bad VF-0 doesn't have these super good VF-1 new hip joints on the thighs.

3 hours ago, skullmilitia said:

Just a heads up for those of you who still have your VF-1J’s in route with EMS. The ports are closed thanks to the government showdown. We maybe waiting awhile for EMS deliveries 

I haven't noticed any delay in this regard, my pair from AmiAmi arrived this week with no trouble via EMS.  Unless there's been some change since about Wednesday, that is, since that's when mine hit LAX.

5 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I'll probably quit after Focker's 1S as far as VF-1s go. They're nice but too big and out of place among my 1/60s. TBH I only bought Hikaru and Roy from the Yamato 1/48 line, so I guess that's my limit for that scale.

I'd rather Bandai knock my socks off with a 1/48 VF-25. I recall they teased one years ago. I still want it!

I'll definitely get the Roy-1S and the Strike Hikaru-1S DXs.  Possibly the GBP kit as well.

28 minutes ago, lmtsuper said:

It seems DX VF-1 has a few elements from Arcadia's VF-0 too, like to very noticeable shoulder flap covers the gap. The DX VF-1's knee an ankle joints design also looks very similar to VF-0 (both rear landing gear doors are hard to open...). In the end, VF-0 is the most modern VF-1ish design from Arcadia (still 4 years old), too bad VF-0 doesn't have these super good VF-1 new hip joints on the thighs.

I agree. Though Bandai should’ve used metal plate like Arcadia did on the shoulder flap. Since I was hoping that should lock and make the chest sturdy without installing the side fillers. Which most members here already pointed me out that we do need to install the side fillers to keep it stable. I also agree with you on the added hip joints. For me, that is revolutionary but it’s not done properly.

8 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

We must all bookmark this page and look back after 3 or 4 more DX VF-1s are released and have a good laugh about how delusional we all were about only buying 1 or 2. :lol:

You should definitely bookmark it.

If you have time, you can also go back the forum-archives of which members bought and completed the Yammie 1/48s back in the day, as well as to who dumped them all when the 1/60v2s arrived.

It'll be a fun exercise.

So, I'm noticing two things about the way the legs and arms tab in on this valk for fighter mode.

First, the friction tabs in the arms really aren't don't much good to hold the arms up on mine.  They're hard to line up exactly because of how the arms are able to slide around, and even when they do get settled, mine tend to just slip off over time.  The arms are stiff enough to not really fall, but if I leave the valk sitting for a while and come back, the arms have slipped off the tabs on their own, as if the tabs are slightly too big.

Second, it does actually make it much easier to mount the gunpod.  Since the arms don't attach to the legs or backpack at all, you can just pull them down.  Only time will tell if the joints remain stiff enough to not get sloppy.

On an unrelated note, I really do like how beefy and heavy the metal feet are... because I think that's going to be the only way I display this valk in general.  These gear have got to be the most annoying to deploy of any valk I have... kind of remind me of the nose gear on the Yamato VF-17, with the way the gear door interferes with the catapult bar.  You have to pull the doors so far out to rotate them out, it just looks weird to me.

2 hours ago, treatment said:

You should definitely bookmark it.

If you have time, you can also go back the forum-archives of which members bought and completed the Yammie 1/48s back in the day, as well as to who dumped them all when the 1/60v2s arrived.

It'll be a fun exercise.

Back when we had signatures I used to track my 'retired fleet'. It was depressing. I've had VF-1s going back to the original Taka. Even had one of the Toynami 1/55ish. I had more Yamato V1s and 1/48s than I care to remember. I had at least one of most all of the Yamato molds going all the way Yamato/Toycom days (except M7).

Now I'm trying to keep it to the VF-19 Advance, VF-31F, HMR VT-1 and VF-1J DX. I'm sure I'll fail once the VF-1S pictures come out.

Edited by Matt Random

3 hours ago, eggy99 said:

We must all bookmark this page and look back after 3 or 4 more DX VF-1s are released and have a good laugh about how delusional we all were about only buying 1 or 2. :lol:

Hehe! Indeed! My other two are coming today and I'm already considering this my new primary VF-1 line to possibly replace the old 1:60's! 

Possibly I said.. 

1 hour ago, Matt Random said:

Back when we had signatures I used to track my 'retired fleet'. It was depressing. I've had VF-1s going back to the original Taka. Even had one of the Toynami 1/55ish. I had more Yamato V1s and 1/48s than I care to remember. I had at least one of most all of the Yamato molds going all the way Yamato/Toycom days (except M7).

Now I'm trying to keep it to the VF-19 Advance, VF-31F, HMR VT-1 and VF-1J DX. I'm sure I'll fail once the VF-1S pictures come out.

You have the best of each. I like your approach. :)

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I agree. Though Bandai should’ve used metal plate like Arcadia did on the shoulder flap. Since I was hoping that should lock and make the chest sturdy without installing the side fillers. Which most members here already pointed me out that we do need to install the side fillers to keep it stable. I also agree with you on the added hip joints. For me, that is revolutionary but it’s not done properly.

Hey no3Ljm,

The chest would lock better if the small grey detents toward the rear of the fuselage would protrude out just a little more. These detents actually lock the chest down without the armpit cavity fillers being needed.  The rails used for the heat/chest shield are what locks around these parts.

Hopefully Bandai revisits this and corrects the issue.

3E4BBC78-DE74-41D2-9985-212204E0C63B.jpeg

4 hours ago, spanner said:

Hehe! Indeed! My other two are coming today and I'm already considering this my new primary VF-1 line to possibly replace the old 1:60's! 

Possibly I said.. 

Possibly yes. Now that I have three of these big beauties I'm liking and finding them quite a bit more exciting toy than the 1:60 v2.. 

Will give things a little more thought of course..

And while I'm here, here's a photo of my three on display!

20190114_163657.jpg

17 minutes ago, spanner said:

Possibly yes. Now that I have three of these big beauties I'm liking and finding them quite a bit more exciting toy than the 1:60 v2.. 

yums! Looks like there is still space around them to not make the shelf look too crowded.:rolleyes:

However i thk with its size, this must be the only arrangement available to you, ie gerwalk needs to be on a pedestal.

Edited by seti88

34 minutes ago, spanner said:

Spoiler

20190114_163657.jpg

Looks great, but you forgot the antenna. :p Definitely the best VF-1 toy so far.  I think things will have to develop more before I start thinking about selling some of my 1/60's but I am excited to see where this goes.

I was playing around with my 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru and this new DX VF-1J comparing them a bit.  I only had two nit picky problems.  One being the the stabilizers on the legs can get bumped to easily.  The Arcadia method locks them in better.  The second being the gap on the backpack when you fold the flap down for gerwalk and batroid mode.  It's just a small detail that the Arcadia toy solves so easily and that Bandai seems to have just over looked.

Edited by Gwynne

22 minutes ago, seti88 said:

yums! Looks like there is still space around them to not make the shelf look too crowded.:rolleyes:

However i thk with its size, this must be the only arrangement available to you, ie gerwalk needs to be on a pedestal.

17 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Ahem...there is clear base underneath. 

ped·es·tal
/ˈpedəstl/
noun
  1. 1. 
    the base or support on which a statue, obelisk, or column is mounted.

If I'm not mistaken, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, I think Seti's is just agreeing on how the Gerwalk should be displayed in that arrangement, on a pedestal. Just how Spanner displayed it. And not suggesting to use one coz it's already there. 

Edited by no3Ljm

Yups! The A-stance of this DX gerwalk is such a beast that it looks like it would take up the whole shelf floor.

With the wings spread, and toes pointing forward, rocking the valk back onto the heels (due to the heavy metal feet and solid ankles), gerwalk is gonna be hard to fit with fighter and battroid on the same shelf plane.

Spanner solved this by having fighter go under the extra plastic shelf.

3 hours ago, Gwynne said:

Looks great, but you forgot the antenna. :p Definitely the best VF-1 toy so far.  I think things will have to develop more before I start thinking about selling some of my 1/60's but I am excited to see where this goes.

I was playing around with my 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru and this new DX VF-1J comparing them a bit.  I only had two nit picky problems.  One being the the stabilizers on the legs can get bumped to easily.  The Arcadia method locks them in better.  The second being the gap on the backpack when you fold the flap down for gerwalk and batroid mode.  It's just a small detail that the Arcadia toy solves so easily and that Bandai seems to have just over looked.

What antenna!? Hehehe! 

Definitely an amazing Toy indeed! Even my misses is somewhat impressed by it. 

If there’s ever a piece that was meant to be bought and displayed in multiples, it’s the VF-1. I think @spanner‘s arrangement looks great. It makes me wonder (or wish) if there was a stand like the Tamashii Trident that some of us use for HMR that’d be large enough to handle 3 valks of DX size. Would a Yeti stand base work with 3 arms? 

I was messing with my 1J earlier today and wondered if the gunpod can be stowed in reverse into the forearms. Well it can’t.

I truly hope Bandai will make an improvement on this to allow the DYRL valkyries the capability to do so. I always remember back when Max in his 1A fires into the face of the Zentradi he rips out of his N-Ger. It sure would make an awesome way to display him if he should ever be released.