Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

9 hours ago, Tekkaman2k5 said:

my part to try and fix my leg will be here tomorrow. Will try to fix on sunday!! wish me luck. if not will return to Amazon and hope can snag another one even if have to pay more.

yes! keep us posted. glad you have amazon policy for protection. 

it should be an easy fix. the hardest part will be taking that cover/cap off. 

9 hours ago, Tekkaman2k5 said:

my part to try and fix my leg will be here tomorrow. Will try to fix on sunday!! wish me luck. if not will return to Amazon and hope can snag another one even if have to pay more.

I am super curious about how the inside looks like. It will be nice if you have some photo to share once you get it open. :) Thanks.

4 hours ago, eggy99 said:

I normally use grey copic marker as the tip is smaller than the Gundam marker panel lining pen. I think it’s 1/2 the size. 

But... on all my latest work I used Gundam real touch markers to weather the panel lines and edges which provided a subtle panel line + the weathering effect. On some parts a line still needs to be added, but it depends on the depth of the line. Also some silver dry brushed over metallic surfaces. Once that is done I spray a matte coat to lock it all in. 

This is the kind of finish I end up with.

post-7871-0-92495900-1445314202_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-68081100-1445314241_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-45972100-1444222133_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-60144600-1444222407_thumb.jpg

I’ve never worked with a completely white valk before, but I’m relieved that the DX is more a grey white so that should be easier to work with without the weathering looking too heavy. 

That’s very nice work! If I were to simply panel line without doing any weathering would you suggest the matte coat still?

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I suggest you try Flory’s Washes since they’re clay so it’s water based. When you make mistake it’s easy to wipe it with wet wipes and not harming the plastic like how some thinner does. There’s also Vallejo Model Wash which is water based too. There’s some YouTube videos of showing how to use all of these. So I suggest you watched those videos first and see if it’s to your liking before making a purchase. If you have extra kits laying around, try it on them first before applying it on your most expensive toy. ^_^ 

Hope that helps. :drinks:

Thanks I’ll look into those and watch those vids.

Edited by canklebreaker

On 12/30/2018 at 3:57 AM, tekering said:

Same as the ol' Yamato...  They stay in place as long as you don't touch 'em.  <_<

Technically, it's neither:

828967743_shoulderhinges.thumb.jpg.fde1091c1c8940d940e10cae7d856b58.jpg

Not if it gets played with a lot.  Like the DX YF-19, the hip joints are very stiff, but not ratcheted... and like the YF-19, there are exposed screws that allow you to adjust the tightness, should it be required:

upskirt.thumb.jpg.9dccba5d640261d73c1518a99120a88a.jpg

Perfect.  Smooth, easy, and secure. 

Better than a Transformer, better than the ol' Yamato 1:48, maybe even better than the 1:60.  Certainly on par with the last DX release, the YF-19.

Oh, and speaking of which, the DX YF-19's missile mounts are compatible.  :good:

missiled.thumb.jpg.03620382991ea1f20cd4cc1d1eb7e856.jpg

Yamato's missile mounts use the same system, but are incompatible sizes:

1366564768_samesamebutdifferent.thumb.jpg.f5706c1aa7a478048fd5500cef6e9c31.jpg

...so Yamato missiles won't work.

And don't even bother trying to get Yamato's GPB to work.  That's a fool's errand.

1878752471_foolserrand.thumb.jpg.4059ec514a84708fb27738a8eed27819.jpg

Ditto for the FAST packs.  :unsure:

Do the shoulders lock into place in battroid mode? It looks like they sit on a plastic corner from your photo

13 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

That’s very nice work! If I were to simply panel line without doing any weathering would you suggest the matte coat still?

Thanks I’ll look into those and watch those vids.

You're welcome. As for the matte coat, it's an option if you want. Think of it like a layer of protection. Some members put it, some don't. ;) 

12 minutes ago, beatsing said:

Do the shoulders lock into place in battroid mode? It looks like they sit on a plastic corner from your photo

I think that's where the shoulder locks in its place. From what I've seen on the videos, once the shoulder ends in that area, you will hear a locking 'click' sound.

I'm really liking the DX VF-1J. Granted there are some minor annoyances but overall it's great to play with... I was surprised and impressed with the ankle tilts on this. Definitely makes a big difference in what you can do and pose. Enjoy. :)

Battroid:

45854695134_7af8340628_b.jpgDX Opening Credit Pose by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

46526650572_9ca83eb7ee_b.jpgBack Scratcher 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

45854694194_af5da8359b_b.jpgBack Scratcher 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

45664542245_9c7c449b1a_b.jpgBack Scratcher 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

32691552228_40057c361e_b.jpgDX VF-1J Pose 1 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

32691552398_7fb5537f6d_b.jpgDX VF-1J Pose 2 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

46513046512_2f645376bd_b.jpgDX VF-1J Pose 3 by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

45636821995_7d3b833d78_b.jpgLet&#x27;s Party by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

Gerwalk:

31639394687_fea3c8b096_b.jpgGerwalk by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

32691554448_0845f34bf9_b.jpgLet me go by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

45636821905_a0719522b1_b.jpgDianaut in hand by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

2 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

It’s not required, but I find a matte coat adds that little touch that makes it look really nicer. Nicer than a matte finish plastic has. 

I’m not experienced with washes for the panel lining, but from what I remember from tutorial videos I have watched they do recommend to apply a complete gloss coat first which helps the wash run through the panel lines more smoothly. Once it’s dry you apply a matte coat to seal it all in (or another gloss if you prefer a gloss finish).

I think another reason for the initial gloss coat is actually for application of water slide decals as they adhere better to a smooth surface as opposed to a matte one. 

I think with no initial coat ist will be fine though. If the surface is the same as the HMR line then you can apply a water based wash right into the panels no problem. :) 

3 hours ago, Saburo said:

:D

Deserves a nostalgia trip!! :yahoo:

*luckily i didnt accidentally post the RT opening...i thk i would be lynched for that!:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Alex GS said:

Not sure if someone else post this video but it shows you lots of poses with the included armament of the DX YF 19 I think that fits great into the VF 1J  and it looks effing awesome, no need to do an extra payment for those TWE now :D 

Haha i wanted to wait to see if the 19's armaments do fit, but CDJ got me pre-ordering with their pricing...Certainly the 19 armaments are a great alternative;)

But after watching the nostalgic video above, am glad to spring for the missile set ...

Those tri-cluster missiles are too iconic not to be placed onto the DX VF-1J! :rolleyes:

Edited by seti88

Looks like amiami shipped some more orders , but instead of getting their regular shipped email , you ended up with the  just the DHL email/txt one ,  guessing they are still behind after the holidays on the their own admin side.  Package is already picked up too.   ETA next Tuesday ...

57 minutes ago, F360 said:

Looks like amiami shipped some more orders , but instead of getting their regular shipped email , you ended up with the  just the DHL email/txt one ,  guessing they are still behind after the holidays on the their own admin side.  Package is already picked up too.   ETA next Tuesday ...

Yeah I didn't get the Amiami email until about 10 hours after I got the DHL notice. Amiami has about a week's worth of emails to catch up on!

I'm not sure I'm going to keep all three, or even two. I'll wait and see how good the new GBP is. (Who am I kidding? I've already unconsciously decided to buy it.)

6 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Yeah I didn't get the Amiami email until about 10 hours after I got the DHL notice. Amiami has about a week's worth of emails to catch up on!

I'm not sure I'm going to keep all three, or even two. I'll wait and see how good the new GBP is. (Who am I kidding? I've already unconsciously decided to buy it.)

The GBP is one of those things that most wont get multiples,  at least for me ,1 should be more than enough since I have to make room in case they do a woodland/urban one.  I can only hope Bandai adding in bigger and better posable hands for the GBP similar to their SOC gaogaigar and effect parts for those micro missiles.

But please don’t do any extra booket sleeves with empty big white boxes just so you store all the boxes together.  

Put mine into battroid form, had to loosen my hip screws first as the hips were quite tight. The side-panels definitely help hold the battroid form together. Overall, the joints definitely could use some working in.

I'm slightly disappointed by the wrist articulation, as it doesn't allow for many angles to hold the gun.

41 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

And sold out for now. So my guestimate was off on my post on the 30th of last month (of mid-25k yen). 

With this version of the DX VF-1J in 1/48 scale, hopefully that the latter versions of this mold will be refined.   

Here's a major improvement over Yamato that I don't remember anyone mentioning: the backpack hinge is diecast. While I wouldn't exactly call the Yamato hinge fragile, it could be broken somewhat easily if you were careless. So chalk another point up for the DX.

78892473_dxbackpackhinge.jpg.310f3dfb9d3d35711fa8d5cd58d6e1e0.jpg