Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

For my first purchase with Hobby-Genki I'm going to give them a solid review. I received my process info on Thursday morning, then a tracking number Friday morning and here she is, nicely packaged and zippo issues! 

I also give them credit in that the DHL I initially payed for was apparently waaaaaay more expensive (which I had anticipated), so instead of charging me extra they simply sent it FedEx Express and it got here ultra fast!! I might... I might actually get one more of these, it looks really good in person!! 

IMG_9503.JPG

IMG_9510.JPG

IMG_9509.JPG

IMG_9500.JPG

2 hours ago, Radioguy said:

That's just great.

I love the angle of the picture obscuring the number of the surplus plane. 😆

Smart move buying a case though!

What's he gonna do with his Yamato's?

I just noticed that the #5 is upside down. The OCD in me is having a real problem with that. Good thing he has replacement Bandais for all of them now. I think the 5 is rightside up on that one. :D

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

For my first purchase with Hobby-Genki I'm going to give them a solid review. I received my process info on Thursday morning, then a tracking number Friday morning and here she is, nicely packaged and zippo issues! 

I also give them credit in that the DHL I initially payed for was apparently waaaaaay more expensive (which I had anticipated), so instead of charging me extra they simply sent it FedEx Express and it got here ultra fast!! I might... I might actually get one more of these, it looks really good in person!! 

IMG_9503.JPG

IMG_9510.JPG

IMG_9509.JPG

IMG_9500.JPG

Weird. Have somebody noticed Bandai  threw in DYRL fix posed hands?

Edit: Never mind. All TV series released so far have them.

Edited by Froy

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

IMG_9503.JPG

IMG_9510.JPG

IMG_9509.JPG

IMG_9500.JPG

awesome! I had a similar experience, the shipping they initially estimated and charged during pre-order was way below the actual shipping cost but they sent it express anyways without asking me to pay anything additional. 

congrats! 

11 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

awesome! I had a similar experience, the shipping they initially estimated and charged during pre-order was way below the actual shipping cost but they sent it express anyways without asking me to pay anything additional. 

congrats! 

yes, there's talk they might be ny resurrected, but if so... they also treat me well

1 hour ago, enphily said:

Nin-nin asked additional 3100 yen after original 5100 yen i already paid for airmail, oh. I always hated those additional bandai's stands

This is what keeps me off from bitting the bullet with them.

Angel Birds is not a really must get to me. If I can grab one at mandarake I'd be happy.

Honestly, anything's better than Bandai's standard "Let's make a generic mechanical-looking hexagon and include it with every release going forward."

The mounting systems are bad enough, but they used to care enough to make matching bases, back when they did the SMS logos for the VF-25 series.  Once they made the generic base for the 171s, they stopped doing anything else.

I'll be curious to see if they bring back the SMS bases for the VF-25 re-releases.

56 minutes ago, Froy said:

This is what keeps me off from bitting the bullet with them.

Angel Birds is not a really must get to me. If I can grab one at mandarake I'd be happy.

I'm always afraid that i'll pay even more if i'll wait. And there is some other circumstances. But maybe it was my first and last order at nin-nin due their policies.

As for stands, i'd prefer cheaper valks with lighter and slimmer packages without stands at all. But it's just me. I think all of my basic bandai stands somewhere in storage

Edited by enphily

45 minutes ago, enphily said:

As for stands, i'd prefer cheaper valks with lighter and slimmer packages without stands at all. But it's just me. I think all of my basic bandai stands somewhere in storage

Compared with Yamato/Arcadia, and their (almost) complete lack of stands, I understand why Bandai made them standard, but given the differences in approach, I still would much rather trade their ugly stands for some missiles for every release.  I know it's a personal preference, but I would use missiles a lot more than any included stand.  I keep mine primarily in fighter mode, so my "stand" tends to be the landing gear. :lol: 

If the stands weren't a visual abomination on the shelf, I might actually use them, but I neither appreciate their looks, nor trust their ability to actually hold anything stable.  The first time I tried to stick my DX Roy on the fast pack stand mount, the adapter cracked, and I threw it back in the box forever.

I would gladly pay Bandai extra to design an integrated stand mount that didn't require a pile of adapters for every mode.  I can't believe it would actually be that difficult for them to just install a socket and pin system that'll mount the thing on a metal peg.  And that goes for both Bandai, and Yamato/Arcadia.  The adapters are just ducking fugly no matter how you slice it.

Edited by Chronocidal

3 hours ago, Froy said:

A horribly crooked kite on his copy

1111847072_Screenshot_20230207-0807532.png.981ba5c36928a7dd6572916cd086548c.png

Little stuff like that doesn't bother me that much.  But I guess with what they cost there should be better QC for stuff like that.  I worry more about breakage and the moveable pieces working properly.  Also fit and finish.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:18 AM, Chronocidal said:

I'll be curious to see if they bring back the SMS bases for the VF-25 re-releases.

Both of the Frontier re-releases so far that I've gotten (Alto YF-29 and the WMM VF-25) had the black hexagon, so I doubt it. They seem to have made a permanent switch.

I'm a battroid fan generally so I like having the stand for at least basic flying poses, especially now that good alternative stands have become so hard to come by. I don't understand why Arcadia doesn't constantly re-release their Simple Display Stand when they don't include stands; I have a few of the launch arms but they don't really make sense canonically with anything aside from the VF-1 and maybe the VF-4. Technically it doesn't make sense with the VF-1 either, seeing as how it's upside down and all. But then, Bandai released that missile pack once and only once, after I think a single VF-1 release, so they both make decisions that baffle me. 

Edited by Rhubarbarian