Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Comparison of my newly acquired Bandai DX GBP-1S with the Yamato 1/48. The Bandai armor is actually on my TV Max VF-1A, since that's the only valk in the line that I own. It's really nice that Bandai included that extra VF-1J head.

My kids say they prefer the Yamato version. I'm a fan of the Bandai myself, though they went a bit overboard on the markings.

image.jpeg.65299e669cfd12fa9bb7880be231dcd8.jpeg

Edited by magicsp00n

8 minutes ago, MikeRoz said:

It never occurred to me that you could essentially transform any Valkyire into an Armored VF-1J with the extra head included with that set. I think I've finally found something on which I should spend my N-Y store credit.

Not all of the heads will swap with each other. I can't remember which ones won't.

1 hour ago, magicsp00n said:

Comparison of my newly acquired Bandai DX GBP-1S with the Yamato 1/48. The Bandai armor is actually on my TV Max VF-1A, since that's the only valk in the line that I actually own. It's really nice that Bandai included that extra VF-1J head.

My kids say they actually prefer the Yamato version. I'm a fan of the Bandai myself, though they went a bit overboard on the markings.

image.jpeg.65299e669cfd12fa9bb7880be231dcd8.jpeg

Although i didn't have the chance(I mean money) to buy the Bandai GBP i still like my Yamato one. A lot. Luckily enough it's one of the valks from Yamato that didn't yellow a bit. I actually would love to buy the Bandai version too. The only think that i really don't like about it are the giant hands. Also, i'd kill for having a set of waterslide decals for the Yammie one.

1 hour ago, Robin-11 said:

Although i didn't have the chance(I mean money) to buy the Bandai GBP i still like my Yamato one. A lot. Luckily enough it's one of the valks from Yamato that didn't yellow a bit. I actually would love to buy the Bandai version too. The only think that i really don't like about it are the giant hands. Also, i'd kill for having a set of waterslide decals for the Yammie one.

My Yamato VF-1S is yellowed and it breaks my heart. 😥

I thought the Bandai oversized hands were really goofy too until I tried them out and I think they look good in person. There is also a mid-sized set of hands included so if you prefer a more restrained look they got you covered.

3 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I believe the A and J can swap, but the S's neck is a different shape that isn't compatible.

Yes, this is correct. TV A and J can head swap. I wonder if anyone tried on head swapping DYRL S and A? And the TV D for that matter?

7 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

I can confirm how gorgeous @Anasazi37 decals were!  I might still prefer my old version over the new Bandai one after his decals.

DSC_0963_resize.JPG.819bdc48f81c40caf11271caa3afcaad.JPG

Ooooh. That looks awesome! Love the hand manipulators too. Where did you get those, @wm cheng? :wub: 

Yeah, I have to say, @Anasazi37 should get back to decal business since I missed the first rounds. ;):drinks:

21 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I believe the A and J can swap, but the S's neck is a different shape that isn't compatible.

Awww. There goes that idea. Maybe if they ever get around to a 1/48 Millia I can use that N-Y store credit then.

Is it me or has it been forever since the last 1/48 VF-1 release?

34 minutes ago, MikeRoz said:

Awww. There goes that idea. Maybe if they ever get around to a 1/48 Millia I can use that N-Y store credit then.

Is it me or has it been forever since the last 1/48 VF-1 release?

I guess you weren't joking. Have you tried checking the NY website lately?

5 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I guess you weren't joking. Have you tried checking the NY website lately?

@MikeRoz The short version is that NY imploded like a dying star at the end of last year. It no longer exists and your store credit is now worthless. Due to its increasingly shady business practices, the implosion probably should have happened a lot sooner than it did. I now see other stores acting in a similar way and am staying far, far away from them.

11 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

Oh my God, they look really beautiful!!! Are they still available for purchase??

I retired from printing decals many years ago, mainly due to my day job, which keeps me extremely busy. I occasionally do small print runs and every so often take on custom orders, but the wait list is pretty long right now. At the moment, more than a year. I feel really bad about that, but I don't have a lot of free time these days.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:05 AM, Anasazi37 said:

I retired from printing decals many years ago, mainly due to my day job, which keeps me extremely busy. I occasionally do small print runs and every so often take on custom orders, but the wait list is pretty long right now. At the moment, more than a year. I feel really bad about that, but I don't have a lot of free time these days.

That's too bad :( I really hoped i could get my hands on those decals, they would really make the difference on my GBP VF-1J. Anyway, can i get on your waiting list for this set of decals? Time is not a problem for me at this point, since i have had my GBP like that for over 15 years i think i can wait few more months.

On 5/28/2022 at 10:25 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

LEK ID a very talented customizer. But his strength is in capturing the Transformers cell shading style. From the pictures the DYRL cell shading style is missing. Looks odd as highlights should be shades.

image.jpeg.7e0b5721668b8cb6393cbad2bd1c17fe.jpeg

I agree. I droll over LEK's stuff. But this one just looks a little funny.

I like it!
It looks a little less like light playing on the surface than a camo scheme (the legs), but another incredible project, thanks for sharing! :)

I think us old timers we all have that dark blue GBP armor color scheme burned into our synapses for almost 40 years, so anything outside those parameters seems a little different.
I want to see Bandai do this in Blue next and another LEK version on that

S

52 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I like it!
It looks a little less like light playing on the surface than a camo scheme (the legs), but another incredible project, thanks for sharing! :)

I think us old timers we all have that dark blue GBP armor color scheme burned into our synapses for almost 40 years, so anything outside those parameters seems a little different.
I want to see Bandai do this in Blue next and another LEK version on that

S

Well, here's a cure for that "dark blue" armor scheme:

101_0443.JPG.0796a797fcd15825cb7bb13b93ed157a.JPG101_0445.JPG.33c381d90a98129f34191db7b444a8b3.JPG

Yes folks; it's only a model.

*claps coconuts together and rides off with Patsy*