Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

26 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

RIght?

BTW: nice Ultimate Warrior Avatar! :D

Thanks! To keep this on-topic, thanks to yman1437, I now have Max's TV VF-1A. He joins Focker's TV VF-1S. Just need Hikaru's VF-1J and that'll be it for me. Well, I do kinda want the VF-1D. So my humble collection of DX Valkyries will be just those four, but I'll be very pleased to finally have them on my shelf.

1 hour ago, Drad said:

Thanks! To keep this on-topic, thanks to yman1437, I now have Max's TV VF-1A. He joins Focker's TV VF-1S. Just need Hikaru's VF-1J and that'll be it for me. Well, I do kinda want the VF-1D. So my humble collection of DX Valkyries will be just those four, but I'll be very pleased to finally have them on my shelf.

So you already have Kakizaki's VF-1A then?

Edited by pengbuzz

9 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Bandai already made a Kakizaki VF-1A TV? Drad mostly mentioned TV Valks, not DYRL's.

I saw that there was a VF-1A Kakizaki; not sure if it's the TV or Movie version though, as I only saw the print. Most likely the Movie version now that I think of it....

Okay...I think I'm just gonna depart this thread before I screw things up even more. Thanks for having me folks!

*waddles back to sofa and pops in Golion on the bluray*

Edited by pengbuzz

31 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

So you already have Kakizaki's VF-1A then?

Nah, I'm gonna keep it to TV Valks only, to minimize the impact on my finances.  I'll be happy with the three main aces of SDFM and the training Valk seen in the opening episodes. Gosh, even just four of these things is already over a grand. I can't afford this stuff, but I buy it anyway. I'm definitely not in the high rollers club here, heh. I do enjoy the pics, though.

Pic credit goes to Saburo. Thanks!

MacrossAces.jpg.1ee10094692cf5133ea40d1108dae35f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Wow you are so generous to do that work for airborne.

i wish someone can do that for mine

Hey David, that VF-1D is @Lolicon Valkyrie. We're both big fans of white landing gear and I asked for some pics when he completed customizing his Valk. The pics were worth it.

I might do the same for my 1D, it just makes all the difference IMHO. B))

Edited by 505thAirborne

12 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

@Lolicon - Do you disassemble and paint or just mask off everything and airbrush the gear white? Do you primer it first and do you use acrylic, enamel or lacquer white paint?  Cauuuuse whatever you are doing...it makes a world of difference!!! :clapping:

Thanks! :) Nah, no disassembly other than pulling the legs and forward fuselage apart from the main body (makes it easier to work with). I just mask and paint. Bandai makes it pretty much impossible to open up their valks without damaging anything.

The legs can be popped off after loosening the screws behind the intakes. The forward fuselage can be removed after unscrewing the two screws on the underside near the battroid head. In the case of the 1D the rear seat is actually glued to the main body, so you need to pop that out of the cockpit first before you can remove the fuselage.

All the landing gear doors can be completely removed, which makes it much easier to mask off the bay. I apply a coat of of white primer then white lacquer paint. Then I panel line/wash the gears before applying a topcoat. After that I use a liquid chrome marker to paint the hydraulic struts silver. Then after all that I can finally put the tires back on. :blink:

It's a lot of work for a few small parts, but it makes a world of difference to me.

All this because Bandai won't do something simple that Yamato/Arcadia has been doing for 20+ years.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Thanks! :) Nah, no disassembly other than pulling the legs and forward fuselage apart from the main body (makes it easier to work with). I just mask and paint. Bandai makes it pretty much impossible to open up their valks without damaging anything.

The legs can be popped off after loosening the screws behind the intakes. The forward fuselage can be removed after unscrewing the two screws on the underside near the battroid head. In the case of the 1D the rear seat is actually glued to the main body, so you need to pop that out of the cockpit first before you can remove the fuselage.

All the landing gear doors can be completely removed, which makes it much easier to mask off the bay. I apply a coat of of white primer then white lacquer paint. Then I panel line/wash the gears before applying a topcoat. After that I use a liquid chrome marker to paint the hydraulic struts silver. Then after all that I can finally put the tires back on. :blink:

It's a lot of work for a few small parts, but it makes a world of difference to me.

All this because Bandai won't do something simple that Yamato/Arcadia has been doing for 20+ years.

Thanks for sharing! :good:

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Out of 25ish VF-1's I have on display the only one that is gear down is an Arcadia. Go figure.:D

31 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Can this be achieved using handbrush method so there's no disassembly needed? Thanks!

I'm a coward & scared of leaving brush strokes.;) There are ways to counter that by layering with properly thinned paint for a few coats, but masking and airbrushing it in is a way to go for a nice even finish! 

18 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

I'm a coward & scared of leaving brush strokes.;) There are ways to counter that by layering with properly thinned paint for a few coats, but masking and airbrushing it in is a way to go for a nice even finish! 

And from what I know, clear coat afterwards somehow eliminates or make the handbrush not too obvious.

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

And from what I know, clear coat afterwards somehow eliminates or make the handbrush not too obvious.

It likely evens everything out by filling in the low points left by the brush strokes. That would reduce or eliminate the kinds of subtle changes in color (due to illumination differences) which make handbrushing more obvious. And if you're using a flat clearcoat, there's less reflected light overall. Just my quick semi-informed take on the subject. :)

35 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

It likely evens everything out by filling in the low points left by the brush strokes. That would reduce or eliminate the kinds of subtle changes in color (due to illumination differences) which make handbrushing more obvious. And if you're using a flat clearcoat, there's less reflected light overall. Just my quick semi-informed take on the subject. :)

Ok. My bad. :D 

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

Out of 25ish VF-1's I have on display the only one that is gear down is an Arcadia. Go figure.:D

Most of mine are displayed in-flight on Yeti stands. I don't know what I'm going to do with all the new valks post-Yeti closure.

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

@Lolicon Thanks for sharing that. :good: Can this be achieved using handbrush method so there's no disassembly needed? Thanks!

Great work always on those landing gears. :wub: 

Looks like the others have answered your question. I'd like to add that you can also use a paint retarder when hand brushing. It slows down the curing process and makes the paint a bit more watery so that it evens out more and eliminates brush strokes. I use it all the time when I have to use brush paints.

https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product1/category_7/160.html

4 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That earlier phone pic was most unsatisfactory to me, so I dug out my real camera.

52019249734_aa095a7496_o.jpg

One of the nice things about getting old and your eyesight starting to go is I can't tell the difference anymore.:D

Why I bought such a nice TV I don't know............:lol:

So, "Shapeways" 1/48 DX figures.............

I can't find the link to Hikaru in his TV space helmet get up so I can have the correct pilot for the DX Roy with Super Parts on it. Got a link? I think @Anasazi37 dug it up at some point.

And

Has anyone seen a Hikaru with no helmet but with goggles that works with the 1/48 DX Fan Racer? Got a link?

Thanks

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I can't find the link to Hikaru in his TV space helmet get up so I can have the correct pilot for the DX Roy with Super Parts on it. Got a link? I think @Anasazi37 dug it up at some point.

And

Has anyone seen a Hikaru with no helmet but with goggles that works with the 1/48 DX Fan Racer? Got a link?

Thanks

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G8D52LFAX/pilots-set-for-vf-1j-dx?optionId=91611789&li=shops

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

And

Thanks

Considering your eyesight, does it even matter? Sounds like you’d need to look in the cockpit from 3 inches away to even tell. 😆

9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That earlier phone pic was most unsatisfactory to me, so I dug out my real camera.

52019249734_aa095a7496_o.jpg

White landing gears are small detail, but agreed it makes a huge difference especially with the added wash & silver highlights. :good:

I’m reminded why the only Yamato 1/48 VF-1 I have displayed is with the landing gears down, as they are not only painted white, but the front gear has some hose detailing that Bandai lacks..

7 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Considering your eyesight, does it even matter? Sounds like you’d need to look in the cockpit from 3 inches away to even tell. 😆

There is a difference between seeing and knowing.:D