Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

7 hours ago, jenius said:

So I haven't been keeping up on this as much as I used to. We're currently in a holding pattern right? Usually there's a July or August release... I guess preorders might not be announced until April?

Tracking the tamashii.jp releases, it sure looks like H1 '22 releases are set.

Mirage then WWM then the supers and the MF mic's round it up till June. TN summer would be in July so there would be more of a tease rather than a release then (based on years past).

April would be a good time for a PO, however if bandai decides to do an august release slot, I wouldnt strike out end Feb/early March for a very early PO.
Which, no surprise, ought to be the VF-0S HMR.

Edited by seti88

Ugh, I'm having such a hard time deciding between Roy and the VF-1J+GBP set.  My VF-1D should ship this weekend, so I'm trying to make a decision by tomorrow so I can have both shipped together but having analysis paralysis!  I'm trying to show a bit of restraint by not just ordering both. 😁 

I've already got a 1A and 1S + missile set and now technically a 1D.  I like the idea of getting the 1J that I missed out on initially and the GBP set can obviously be swapped around to other the valks if I want to display the 1J transformed.  The price is also a bit more fair when you consider you're getting the valk+armour (seems like less markup).  Alternatively, the Roy is also appealing because it's the TV version (I grew up with Robotech), has the nicer display stand, Roy pilot/TV cockpit, and I'd probably grab the TV strike parts with it as well ... but I also already have the 1S which is extremely similar.

I'm also kicking myself that I didn't grab the movie strike parts when I had the chance.  I would love to get them for the 1S but can't justify spending over half the cost of a valk on them ($300cad+).  Maybe they'll be re-released at some point.  Typing it out, I'm sort of leaning towards the 1J+GBP set.  

Since we're sort of in holding mode for the next preorder madness, let me ask another question:

If you didn't already have a 1J or Roy, out of the two choices, which would you choose and why (e.g. personal preference, collectability/future availability, etc)?

26 minutes ago, Digitalfiend said:

If you didn't already have a 1J or Roy, out of the two choices, which would you choose and why (e.g. personal preference, collectability/future availability, etc)?

I'd get the 1J combo if you want a valk and armor. it's a good value.  If you want collectability,  the first release stand alone 1j is worth more than the armor and 1j combo combined. 

TV Roy has a modest after market price bc Bandai did a big print run due to the popularity of vf-1s skull leader. I have 5x copies of Roy but only have remaining 2x 1j first prints (sold one off a month to get the combo armor 1j and also brought an extra stand alone armor pack by itself.

given by my purchases, if i didn't have any: knowing myself, i'd get roy TV first. but the best value is the vf-1j combo.

if i had to choose for myself having 5 roys already, i'd probably would now get a 2nd armored 1j combo set over a 6th roy.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

54 minutes ago, Digitalfiend said:

Ugh, I'm having such a hard time deciding between Roy and the VF-1J+GBP set.  My VF-1D should ship this weekend, so I'm trying to make a decision by tomorrow so I can have both shipped together but having analysis paralysis!  I'm trying to show a bit of restraint by not just ordering both. 😁 

I've already got a 1A and 1S + missile set and now technically a 1D.  I like the idea of getting the 1J that I missed out on initially and the GBP set can obviously be swapped around to other the valks if I want to display the 1J transformed.  The price is also a bit more fair when you consider you're getting the valk+armour (seems like less markup).  Alternatively, the Roy is also appealing because it's the TV version (I grew up with Robotech), has the nicer display stand, Roy pilot/TV cockpit, and I'd probably grab the TV strike parts with it as well ... but I also already have the 1S which is extremely similar.

I'm also kicking myself that I didn't grab the movie strike parts when I had the chance.  I would love to get them for the 1S but can't justify spending over half the cost of a valk on them ($300cad+).  Maybe they'll be re-released at some point.  Typing it out, I'm sort of leaning towards the 1J+GBP set.  

Since we're sort of in holding mode for the next preorder madness, let me ask another question:

Personally, I don’t even care about Hikaru’s 1J and the Roy 1S is my favorite stand-alone Valk but the GBP is always an iconic piece itself. The only true answer is to get both now before it’s too late and you have to pay more. 

If I had nothing and just wanted one Valk to represent Macross, I’d get the Roy 1S. If I had a few Valks except those two, I might opt for the 1J/GBP set. Good thing is, I have them all and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Good luck deciding!

1 hour ago, Digitalfiend said:

I'm with @Slave IV, get both! Because it sounds like after choosing one, you will be getting the other one down the road, and that you will only pay more for it.

But if you absolutely must choose, get the VF-1J GBP set first. Assuming prices of both increases at the same rate, you would pay higher increase for the GBP as compared to Roy's 1S simply because of its higher base price. 

6 hours ago, Digitalfiend said:

Both.

If I could only have two Valks, they would be it.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that you guys are right in that I'd probably buy the Roy down the road anyhow and likely end up paying more, so getting both now is probably saving money in the long run.  It makes perfect sense to me and I'm sure my wife will completely agree with the logic and cost savings presented here. 😁 

9 hours ago, Digitalfiend said:

I would advice the same of getting both. But if money concern is one of the main factor for your decision making, I would go for the VF-1J/GBP combo. Out of the two, the VF-1J set has more probability to go up later on than Roy's TV VF-1S so it's best to get it now.

So how about you get the VF-1J set for now, and get Roy's on your next salary? That might work, right? At least you already secured the set since you're leaning towards that one as per your post. ;) 

54 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I would advice the same of getting both. But if money concern is one of the main factor for your decision making, I would go for the VF-1J/GBP combo. Out of the two, the VF-1J set has more probability to go up later on than Roy's TV VF-1S so it's best to get it now.

Money isn't the issue, it's more the WAF (wife-acceptance-factor) and getting three more "toys".  She's pretty cool with my hobbies but sleeping in the shed would be awfully cold at this time of the year... 🥶 

(and yes that is a joke 😁)

My wife is pretty accepting of my hobby too. It still doesn't stop me from trying to intercept all of my packages at the door or sooner to prevent her from seeing them as they arrive. Hell, if it stays hidden somewhere for several months I can just 'pull it out' of the closet I can tell her I've had it for some time now. Technically I wouldn't be lying about it either :D

23 minutes ago, Digitalfiend said:

Money isn't the issue, it's more the WAF (wife-acceptance-factor) and getting three more "toys".  She's pretty cool with my hobbies but sleeping in the shed would be awfully cold at this time of the year... 🥶 

(and yes that is a joke 😁)

I don't see how her deciding to go sleep in the shed is a factor.

See what I did there?:D

22 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

My wife is pretty accepting of my hobby too. It still doesn't stop me from trying to intercept all of my packages at the door or sooner to prevent her from seeing them as they arrive. Hell, if it stays hidden somewhere for several months I can just 'pull it out' of the closet I can tell her I've had it for some time now. Technically I wouldn't be lying about it either :D

Oh so it's not just me haha.

3 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I don't see how her deciding to go sleep in the shed is a factor.

See what I did there?:D

😁

1 hour ago, Digitalfiend said:

Oh so it's not just me haha.

It's not just you. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Grey728 said:

Looks like we're reading the same book guide on "How To Hide Stuff From Your Partner And Still Make Them Happy." :rolleyes::lol: 

6 hours ago, Digitalfiend said:

Yeah, I'm starting to think that you guys are right in that I'd probably buy the Roy down the road anyhow and likely end up paying more, so getting both now is probably saving money in the long run.  It makes perfect sense to me and I'm sure my wife will completely agree with the logic and cost savings presented here. 😁 

My wife just mutters something like "stupid high-priced hunks of Japanese plastic" under her breath every time a new valk shows up, but that's about it. Took years of effort, and a lot of shipments, to get her to the point where she just accepts that my hunks of plastic aren't going away and new ones will occasionally show up.

As others have said, the prices for both are not likely to go down and you get a two-for-one with the armored 1J. The TV Roy and the GBP 1J are iconic. I couldn't choose between them.

8 hours ago, Digitalfiend said:

Educating the missus on macross collecting..that’s another way of ‘spicing’ thing up...

🥳 🥳🤗

Ohh..UNSPICY. Ahem.

Edited by seti88

8 hours ago, Digitalfiend said:

Tell her it's really Bandai's fault for making you want it so much. 

3 hours ago, Alf89 said:

Hopefully newer sets will be like the Armored VF-1J.  Wonder if future releases of the VF-1 will have super parts included as well.

One can hope. 8)

The 1/48 Yammie had the M&M 1J with Supers packed in the box plus 1/48 Hikaru's 1J with Supers as well (which was done separately for the DX line).