Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

7 hours ago, f-valk said:Help.  Where's the stop buying button.  🥺

There’s no “Where’s the Stop Button” @f-valk unless you are buried six feet below ground level literally and physically. 

That is when you stop collecting unless your buried with valks surrounding your body and it carries into the afterlife. 

6 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Wrong.

You make more room by renting space, buying storage, adding on to your property and buying bigger property.

But that’s cheating , if you have unlimited storage space you will not stop . 😜

Heh.. funny you should mention the space conundrum.  I'm currently trying to organize my second bedroom to function as a "hobby" room, which means all (ok, most) of the lego, model kit, and Macross stuff is planned to go in there, along with a small desk and my 3D printer.. but holy cow I have so many boxes, I really should start prioritizing which things I don't absolutely need to keep.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Heh.. funny you should mention the space conundrum.  I'm currently trying to organize my second bedroom to function as a "hobby" room, which means all (ok, most) of the lego, model kit, and Macross stuff is planned to go in there, along with a small desk and my 3D printer.. but holy cow I have so many boxes, I really should start prioritizing which things I don't absolutely need to keep.

Yeah, I’m quickly getting to the point where it’ll be time to put my doubles up for sale…

Well, maybe not the extra 31As…

51 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Yeah, I’m quickly getting to the point where it’ll be time to put my doubles up for sale…

Well, maybe not the extra 31As…

Yeah, there are certain favorites that I've collected multiples of that I have no intention of selling off.  My VF-19s are staying. :p  (Though, I might part with an Arcadia YF-19 once I get the PF version.)

But with all the new 1/48 VF-1s?  I don't feel the need to keep so many of my old Yamatos.  I bought up some of the early Arcadia re-releases with the stands, but I really don't have a reason to keep those around now.  I'll probably boil my Yamato VF-1 collection down to the essentials, and sell off a few duplicates I've been holding onto, like the extra M&M Arcadia set I got, which I have no reason to keep after getting the PF versions.

Even beyond that, I've got a few duplicates of the Bandai DX VF-1s that were bought as backups during all of the pre-order shenaniganry, and I could probably send them to a good home, and the multiple re-releases of the Hayate VF-31 means I could probably part with one of those easily.  Not to mention the pile of extra HMR releases I grabbed for.. some reason I can't even grasp now. :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, there are certain favorites that I've collected multiples of that I have no intention of selling off.  My VF-19s are staying. :p  (Though, I might part with an Arcadia YF-19 once I get the PF version.)

But with all the new 1/48 VF-1s?  I don't feel the need to keep so many of my old Yamatos.  I bought up some of the early Arcadia re-releases with the stands, but I really don't have a reason to keep those around now.  I'll probably boil my Yamato VF-1 collection down to the essentials, and sell off a few duplicates I've been holding onto, like the extra M&M Arcadia set I got, which I have no reason to keep after getting the PF versions.

Even beyond that, I've got a few duplicates of the Bandai DX VF-1s that were bought as backups during all of the pre-order shenaniganry, and I could probably send them to a good home, and the multiple re-releases of the Hayate VF-31 means I could probably part with one of those easily.  Not to mention the pile of extra HMR releases I grabbed for.. some reason I can't even grasp now. :lol: 

When you start questioning the rationale for having duplicates, it's just fueling the drive for me to catch up. :cray::fool:

15 hours ago, sqidd said:

Fixed it

Scalpers prosper because of dummies like me. I may be looking for the cheapest deal,  but I am still paying scalper prices. Once you fall (back) into that collecting rabbit hole...

Getting Yamato 1/48s was less cutthroat on secondary market even when it was several years after release. Vendors based out of HK would still post as auctions on evilbay. Shame that Yamato company went under.

The only Bandai dxs listed on eBay i see by Japan based vendors are mostly buy it now but with head scratching mark ups. 

I never understood why they post listings at double msrp. No one would buy them,  so why list at that price. 

Make more valks available, or do re runs please,  Bandai.  :5:

8 minutes ago, f-valk said:

Scalpers prosper because of dummies like me. I may be looking for the cheapest deal,  but I am still paying scalper prices. Once you fall (back) into that collecting rabbit hole...

Getting Yamato 1/48s was less cutthroat on secondary market even when it was several years after release. Vendors based out of HK would still post as auctions on evilbay. Shame that Yamato company went under.

The only Bandai dxs listed on eBay i see by Japan based vendors are mostly buy it now but with head scratching mark ups. 

I never understood why they post listings at double msrp. No one would buy them,  so why list at that price. 

Make more valks available, or do re runs please,  Bandai.  :5:

Buy on Yahoo Japan through a proxy and ship surface.  Automatically going to save you $50-100. 

2 hours ago, f-valk said:

Getting Yamato 1/48s was less cutthroat on secondary market even when it was several years after release. ............ Shame that Yamato company went under.

One could argue that they're connected.

25 minutes ago, f-valk said:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1180623287&ref=list&sort=price&soldOut=1&keyword=Dx vf-1&lang=en

Used Dx tv max, in case anyone else is looking. 

I couldn't find a stand- alone thread for Dx vf-1a so I posted here. (Sorry, Mods.  please move to correct thread).

you can post it on the other section, there’s one for mandarake listings 

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/forum/13-where-to-buy-macross-auctions-amp-dealers-specials/

On 11/6/2021 at 6:14 PM, Shawn said:

Anyone take their GBP Takani fists and put them on a non-armored valk and recreate the 'hands a bit mis-scaled' old 1/100 Arii kits/toys?
If so I missed it-point the way (my box is tucked away already)

image.png.6e579e1646ea182c412685038b3e93cf.png

image.png.244d13a6a80a87859170bd08a88672c5.png

Lol, those balloon hands still get me, hahahaha! 

Possibly during the Tamashii Nations show in a few weeks we might get another answer, however Bandai loves to screw us collectors around just like Hot Toys [One tease of a possible release will get people revved up. X amount of months/years later, it never gets made and suddenly there is a woke mob banging on your doorstep 24/7, 52 weeks every bloody year, day in and day out]. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi does anyone enable to confirm whether there will be reissue of the vf-1 strike parts? Now the price of the strike parts is almost the same as the Valkyrie itself in asia. (And I'm so tempted to buy worrying the price further increases and there will not be any re-release in future)

4 minutes ago, Repiv_Onex said:

Hi does anyone enable to confirm whether there will be reissue of the vf-1 strike parts? Now the price of the strike parts is almost the same as the Valkyrie itself in asia. (And I'm so tempted to buy worrying the price further increases and there will not be any re-release in future)

There hasn't been any news about another reissue of the Super Strike Parts set or Missile set. With that said, Bandai hasn't yet released a DYRL Max VF-1A, but one was displayed some time ago at a Tamashii Nations event, so it's likely to happen. Maybe a DYRL Hikaru VF-1A and Roy VF-1S, too. With at least one more DYRL valk coming (we hope), odds are good that there will be at least one more reissue of the two accessory sets shortly afterwards. The last five Macross DX product announcements were associated with Delta and Frontier (VF-31J with Fold Projection Unit, VF-31AX Hayate, VF-31AX Mirage, VF-25 Worldwide, VF-31AX Super Parts), so we're probably due for an SDFM/DYRL announcement soon.

3 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

There hasn't been any news about another reissue of the Super Strike Parts set or Missile set. With that said, Bandai hasn't yet released a DYRL Max VF-1A, but one was displayed some time ago at a Tamashii Nations event, so it's likely to happen. Maybe a DYRL Hikaru VF-1A and Roy VF-1S, too. With at least one more DYRL valk coming (we hope), odds are good that there will be at least one more reissue of the two accessory sets shortly afterwards. The last five Macross DX product announcements were associated with Delta and Frontier (VF-31J with Fold Projection Unit, VF-31AX Hayate, VF-31AX Mirage, VF-25 Worldwide, VF-31AX Super Parts), so we're probably due for an SDFM/DYRL announcement soon.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation~ I almost hit the buy button for the strike parts (USD210)! Greatly appreciated~

On 5/20/2020 at 11:12 PM, RedComet said:

I fixed mine after getting some advice from a guy on FB. First, get yourself a baggie of this exact size tiny screw It’s Only 1mm longer than the original, but makes a big difference  (Found mine at the Home Depot, <$1 for 2)

857C94FD-5A48-438B-8E4D-AF0D1028E710.jpeg.2ae2d242348076199b47409bca97286d.jpeg

Put loctite on it, let it sit for 30 minutes while you do the next step.

then you will need to disassemble the leg, starting with the cover as said. After that screw is out you have to gently but firmly pull the thigh apart. This will give you access to the  gray accordion looking piece of plastic. There is a screw attaching that to the metal part of the hinge, unscrew that. 

Now comes the really fun part, bend the hinge out as far as you can, then With the side that broke off flat on the ground, take a drill and drill down as straight as you can (Which will kind of go through the hinge top piece of metal at a diagonal angle directly towards where the screw is to make a hole just wide enough to put a small Phillips head screwdriver through. (Sorry the picture isn’t a bit better) Then it will look like this. This will let you actually put in a screwdriver in a way that will let you turn the screws you need to turn to fix the break.
394C2DD7-1F60-442C-98C0-2DA0BEC9DBBE.jpeg.b6d26b36fe51f3f35373d24c2304280c.jpeg

Then before actually trying to reattach it to the top piece with the new screw, I would undo the three screws that hold it to the hip join. Now you should be able to re-screw it in, one of my tabs was broken so I also applied a good amount of modeling glue that is supposed to be able to bind metal to plastic All around where the screw goes in the hole, but not in the actual hole itself, which is what Loctite is for. Line the screw up, gently re-screw it into the hole, it should connect snuggly, and let that part all dry for an hour. Then just carefully reassemble everything. It isn’t what I would call an easy fix, but better than just writing off a $300 figure right?

I don't know if this will qualify as necro'ing but going to a longer screw didn't fix it for me as when the initial failure occurred it split the housing at the back of the fan detail piece. Never thread into plastic or aluminum with steel! I ended up really haphazardly cementing it back together only after drilling through the joint to attempt the screw fix and identifying that the housing was cracked and finding that course of action didn't work for me. I lost use of that hip splay in cementing it but I managed to fix the valk and I locked the other hip joint in place as well to match and it's been fine ever since. 

Also to admit my own shame, in my frustration I had spilled a ton of the cement I was using out through the joint/intake assembly and I had to refinish the entire intake section on the side to remove the cured cement and restore the original surface. I managed to get it basically identical and even managed to repair the screw hole cover by filling the marks I had made in getting it off with cement and some plastic shavings and then just doing some finish sanding and hobby knife work. If that hadn't happened I probably would have retained the hip splay motion but with how tight those joints were on my valk it would have broken again for sure so I am content with it being fixed in place. 

When I got my Roy VF1 I had made sure to put a very very tiny amount of ballistol in all the roll pin'd joints and it has held up amazingly not too tight not too loose. It even survived a fall down carpeted stairs without even damaging the wing hardpoints or decals and has been transformed and messed with a ton since then and is still living on my desk. I hope this helps anybody that encounters any issues with their DX VF1 hip/leg joints in the future. These are really gorgeous pieces and it'd be a shame for them to get boxed or re-sold at a loss over something a lot of people have the skill to repair if they choose to do so.