Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

You're going to need to be more specific.

Actually, there's no need to specify, 'cause every DX VF-1 release to date has sold out.  Regardless of what Valkyrie (or accessory set) you're after, the secondary market is your only option.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Actually, there's no need to specify, 'cause every DX VF-1 release to date has sold out.  Regardless of what Valkyrie (or accessory set) you're after, the secondary market is your only option.

Good point. They are all sold out at retail.

But some retailers do have new units still in stock (at above retail pricing). Then there is the secondary market where everything is available for quite a bit more money.

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

Good point. They are all sold out at retail.

But some retailers do have new units still in stock (at above retail pricing). Then there is the secondary market where everything is available for quite a bit more money.

Right but not too bad of a markup from some of those retailers.  I only paid around $30 USD more than what the pre-orders were going for so I can't complain.

1 hour ago, Special Sauce said:

Right but not too bad of a markup from some of those retailers.  I only paid around $30 USD more than what the pre-orders were going for so I can't complain.

We're still not sure he's talking about the GBP. Kinda makes it hard to give a smart reply to the OP.:D

Just rewatched SDF Macross.. I regret not buying the TV Max DX. Oops! Oh well. Maybe sometime I'll trade an unopened GBP Armor + some cash for a Max.. I SERIOUSLY Doubt theres any chance of a reissue of Max VF-1A TV version.. There's nothing to add to it to resell it.. Unless they want to add a 'missiles on the tailfins' edition :D

3 hours ago, lavinrac said:

Just rewatched SDF Macross.. I regret not buying the TV Max DX. Oops! Oh well. Maybe sometime I'll trade an unopened GBP Armor + some cash for a Max.. I SERIOUSLY Doubt theres any chance of a reissue of Max VF-1A TV version.. There's nothing to add to it to resell it.. Unless they want to add a 'missiles on the tailfins' edition :D

They are going at auction for about 30,000yen, still semi reasonable.  Go through a proxy and get one.

3 hours ago, lavinrac said:

I've always wanted a TV Max when I was a kid. No room in place my now though for it unfortunately. Go for it if you can!

3 hours ago, Kakizaki2021 said:

I've always wanted a TV Max when I was a kid. No room in place my now though for it unfortunately. Go for it if you can!

I have the Yamato 1/60, but my god these DX's are beautiful.

Edited by lavinrac

6 hours ago, lavinrac said:

I have the Yamato 1/60, but my god these DX's are beautiful.

This has probably been discussed in previous threads already,  apologies if I'm beating a dead horse: what is the difference between the Max yamato 1/60s & the Arcadia 1/60s?

25 minutes ago, f-valk said:

This has probably been discussed in previous threads already,  apologies if I'm beating a dead horse: what is the difference between the Max yamato 1/60s & the Arcadia 1/60s?

I'm sure the correct thread for that discussion is buried somewhere, but check out this link, explains it all in detail

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4599

Edited by levzloi

Not sure where to post this. I saw on Twitter that Bandai had a QR code you could scan at NYCC this week to do a survey about Macross toys in Canada and the U.S. (possibly other locations, not sure). I just did the survey and I thought some of you may be interested. I assume they are trying to figure out what to sell outside of Japan?

https://jp.surveymonkey.com/r/RNGJ73D

Edit: QR code image added:

Edited by Paco Grande

12 minutes ago, Paco Grande said:

Not sure where to post this. I saw on Twitter that Bandai had a QR code you could scan at NYCC this week to do a survey about Macross toys in Canada and the U.S. (possibly other locations, not sure). I just did the survey and I thought some of you may be interested. I assume they are trying to figure out what to sell outside of Japan?

https://jp.surveymonkey.com/r/RNGJ73D

Edit: QR code image added:

Thanks for posting!  Lol, I filled out the survey, told them AJ and HLJ are good for macross purchases, told them Nippon Yasan stole my money.

I know, totally unrelated, but figured it couldn't hurt for them to hear that.

Also asked for them to do an SDF1, a 1/48 VF-1A cannon fodder, low vis, also told them I wanted their 1/32 VF-1J prototype.....lol, it was like a list for Santa.  Unrealistic but fun :)

Not a bad little survey, I was tempted to beg them to start painting landing gear white, but I don't really want them to start now and have to rebuy everything to match :lol:

I did say I really wanted them to get the YF-21 done, and do a VT-1 though, and put a final note that they need to release a weapons/fold pod pack for the VF-31s, since none of them have anything to use, and asking people to buy another copy of Hayate's plane just to get the pod is silly.

What a glorious way to self plug, eh Jenius? LOL!

Are you coming out with any reviews soon? I’m assuming you are getting the GBP-1S for the Bandai DX VF-1J and VF-31J Fold Equipment set? I check YouTube and Anymoon for your reviews almost daily.

very exciting time with Bandai asking us in the USA what we want…..

twich

45 minutes ago, jenius said:

I said I get my macros info from anymoon :)

🤣🤣:good:

Macross MERCHANDISE archive/hub/collective/etc etc!!:hi:

Dont forget video site too!! https://www.youtube.com/c/ScorchedEarthToys

Excellent production quality btw..:good::good:

And source of refresher tutorials on how to transform the valks as time goes on....very useful...

Edited by seti88

42 minutes ago, jenius said:

I said I get my macros info from anymoon :)

I don't know if I've ever said this but your channel is awesome.  It's fair and it's informative.  Once in a while, something NSFW pops up, and I got the stink eye from the wife, but all in all, good stuff.

9 hours ago, uzernaem said:

What's up with anymoon website though? It's very slow and many pictures are broken.

As for DX wishlist, I really want Super Ostrich and Bandai's take on DYRL SDF-1

The slow part is beyond my control, I have noticed it going down and coming up a lot lately but I don't know why. Email or PM me when you come across broken pictures. I think the last update to Wordpress broke a bunch of things but I have no way of knowing what is and isn't working without clicking through it all... and while I'm doing that, it will take forever on my own.
EDIT - Also, if anybody with web skills does know some tricks I can do to improve either of these things, let me know! I'm just a content guy... everything else gets quickly beyond my skill set. 

Edited by jenius

10 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Not a bad little survey, I was tempted to beg them to start painting landing gear white, but I don't really want them to start now and have to rebuy everything to match :lol:

I like the metal gear as is.  I see it as a nice little callback to its chunky monkey predecessor.  

8 hours ago, mantisfists said:

Am I really the only one that begged Bandai to complete their Hi Metal R Destroids and enemy mecha?

You certainly are not the only one.   I also mentioned the Phalanx, Tomahawk, and Queadluun-Rau by name. 

I filled out the survey last night too and did my best to give props to all the sites I've visited over the years: MW forums, Anymoon, Macross2.net, as well as the company sites (tamashii.jp and arcadia.ac--why not?). For the "wishlist" question, I noticed that they asked about units AND characters, so I went all out.

I'd love to see a DX YF-21, VF-11B/C, VF-19 Kai, and VF-11MAXL. An official VF-9A/E release would be sweet (as much as I'm into Xigfrid's transforming model) as would the VA-1SS, and I made sure to mention the TV SDF-1 just for good measure. I also explicitly asked them to keep going with the Macross Hi-Metal R line and called out the HMR Tomahawk, Phalanx, and Qeadluun-Rau, as well. If nothing else, it would be cool if they released every Macross HMR that they've teased.

For characters, I would be ecstatic to see more SH Figuarts beyond the Macross idols: Roy Focker, Hikaru, Misa, Claudia, Mirage, Britai, Quamzin, Bruno Global, Max and Milia, Isamu and Guld, Nora and Ivanov, Shin and Mao, armored rank and file Zentraedi...yeah, even poor Kakizaki. For unrepresented idols (at least from Bandai), it would be nice to see them release their own Minmay or maybe Myung and/or Sharon Apple. Having a complete SH Figuarts set of the Fire Bomber crew would be awesome too: Basara, Mylene, Veffidas, and Ray Lovelock. Ah, if only...

13 hours ago, Californium said:

I like the metal gear as is.  I see it as a nice little callback to its chunky monkey predecessor.  

I guess I get it, but nostalgia is a very confusing drug that way.

Having bare metal landing gear on a high quality scale model feels like someone refusing to upscale a blocky 8-bit texture from an old video game when it gets an HD re-master. :p 

For the moment, I just want them to get around to a VT-1.

Edited by Chronocidal

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Having bare metal landing gear on a high quality scale model...

Ah.  High quality, sure.  But for me, these things are toys, not scale models.  Besides which, white is way too light a color for VF-1 gear.  It's more like silver or light grey or even medium grey.  

macrogear12.jpg.baaef1c44f22bf22014c67937d860037.jpgmacrogearImage5.jpg.e02254fffcc6b46336df96e75b694402.jpgmacrogear9.jpg.65c82bd40532a56d2dae1aff64d753e2.jpgmacrogear.jpg.f6e3e8afccbd2cdc9dc542d7dbb59ca0.jpgmacrogearImage3.jpg.b7d8f3eb3ba670ca83e2ba3cd207e085.jpg

8 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

For the moment, I just want them to get around to a VT-1.

Agreed.  

20 minutes ago, Californium said:

Ah.  High quality, sure.  But for me, these things are toys, not scale models.  Besides which, white is way too light a color for VF-1 gear.  It's more like silver or light grey or even medium grey.  

macrogear12.jpg.baaef1c44f22bf22014c67937d860037.jpgmacrogearImage5.jpg.e02254fffcc6b46336df96e75b694402.jpgmacrogear9.jpg.65c82bd40532a56d2dae1aff64d753e2.jpgmacrogear.jpg.f6e3e8afccbd2cdc9dc542d7dbb59ca0.jpgmacrogearImage3.jpg.b7d8f3eb3ba670ca83e2ba3cd207e085.jpg

Agreed.  I hardly use the landing gear but they never looked white.

11 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Agreed.  I hardly use the landing gear but they never looked white.

To be fair to the animators, they're usually in the shadow of the plane.  I think the only time we've ever seen any clearly non-white gear in Macross was the VF-19P hangar scene, where they're clearly a medium gray, with minty-green bays.

Going to spoiler this part to avoid looking too ranty, because honestly, the metal gear itself bothers me less than Bandai's general attitude about things like this.

Spoiler

Much like most of the rest of animation, like all of the markings that aren't in every frame, all the functional details of aircraft that they never bother to draw, white gear is one of those things that may not be on the screen, but should exist, because it's standard practice, both now, and for the generation of aircraft Kawamori was referencing when designing the VF-1.  Older aircraft in the WWII/Korea era often had bare gear, but somewhere along the way, the military standardized white gear as an aid to maintenance for spotting fluid leaks.  I think the Navy adopted it before the Air Force, since I recall early F-106s having silver gear, while I believe most WWII-era Naval aircraft already had white struts.

This isn't one of those things that you should be looking to the animation for reference material, because regardless of what's animated, the gear should be assumed to be white.  They don't animate the ejection warnings either, but everyone agrees they should be there, because they're a standard US marking, and the VF-1 was designed using mid-80s US Navy markings and practices as the standard.  That includes the gear.

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to like metal gear, like I said, nostalgia's a helluva drug. :lol:   But I firmly believe that is the only "acceptable" reason for Bandai not to paint them.  I don't believe there should ever be any question as to what color they're supposed to be.

In my case, I think it comes off looking cheap and lazy, because they put so much other real-life detail into their Macross releases, while leaving the gear bare because they just seem to like it better.  Much like their fiasco with the backwards numbers on the DYRL releases, just because they like it better that way doesn't do a damn thing to change the fact that it is unquestionably wrong.

Anywho, long story short, I wish Bandai would stop clinging to nostalgia (or any other misguided preference for oddball inaccuracies) as an argument against making something correctly.  Remember how long they still put the incorrect 1/55-style chest stripes on all of their VF-1Js?  Like, seriously, even Toynami got that right before they did. :p 

During the whole backwards number thing, I kept wishing someone would go and spray paint Bandai's corporate logo backwards on the back-facing side of their headquarters, just to exemplify how stupid their "symmetry" argument was.

Edited by Chronocidal

27 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

To be fair to the animators, they're usually in the shadow of the plane.  I think the only time we've ever seen any clearly non-white gear in Macross was the VF-19P hangar scene, where they're clearly a medium gray, with minty-green bays.

Going to spoiler this part to avoid looking too ranty, because honestly, the metal gear itself bothers me less than Bandai's general attitude about things like this.

Reveal hidden contents

Much like most of the rest of animation, like all of the markings that aren't in every frame, all the functional details of aircraft that they never bother to draw, white gear is one of those things that may not be on the screen, but should exist, because it's standard practice, both now, and for the generation of aircraft Kawamori was referencing when designing the VF-1.  Older aircraft in the WWII/Korea era often had bare gear, but somewhere along the way, the military standardized white gear as an aid to maintenance for spotting fluid leaks.  I think the Navy adopted it before the Air Force, since I recall early F-106s having silver gear, while I believe most WWII-era Naval aircraft already had white struts.

This isn't one of those things that you should be looking to the animation for reference material, because regardless of what's animated, the gear should be assumed to be white.  They don't animate the ejection warnings either, but everyone agrees they should be there, because they're a standard US marking, and the VF-1 was designed using mid-80s US Navy markings and practices as the standard.  That includes the gear.

I'm not saying people aren't allowed to like metal gear, like I said, nostalgia's a helluva drug. :lol:   But I firmly believe that is the only "acceptable" reason for Bandai not to paint them.  I don't believe there should ever be any question as to what color they're supposed to be.

In my case, I think it comes off looking cheap and lazy, because they put so much other real-life detail into their Macross releases, while leaving the gear bare because they just seem to like it better.  Much like their fiasco with the backwards numbers on the DYRL releases, just because they like it better that way doesn't do a damn thing to change the fact that it is unquestionably wrong.

Anywho, long story short, I wish Bandai would stop clinging to nostalgia (or any other misguided preference for oddball inaccuracies) as an argument against making something correctly.  Remember how long they still put the incorrect 1/55-style chest stripes on all of their VF-1Js?  Like, seriously, even Toynami got that right before they did. :p 

During the whole backwards number thing, I kept wishing someone would go and spray paint Bandai's corporate logo backwards on the back-facing side of their headquarters, just to exemplify how stupid their "symmetry" argument was.

Thought navy jets like the F-14 always have white landing gears.