Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

It's an awful failure, on multiple levels.  The proportions are way off, the head is an absolute disaster, and the pose is totally impossible for an armored Valkyrie to achieve. <_<

Oh, and it appears to be jogging IN SPACE. 🤨

Ya. But I'd pay money for that old box😛

9 hours ago, physioguy said:

I'm guessing this is old news, or perhaps just someone's custom job, but i took this screen cap from the Tamashi Nations .jp site.  It was from the 2020 show, but I couldn't find any info on this.

Anyone know the story behind this GBP-1S

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 12.08.15 AM.png

There's been many a page turner conversation on the Bandai teasers that never leave the glass case. 
we'd all be in hog heaven if they mass produced every tease concept. And the HMR line would be complete!

Edited by Bolt

8 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Ya. But I'd pay money for that old box😛

There's been many a page turner conversation on the Bandai teasers that never leave the glass case. 
we'd all be in hog heaven if they mass produced every tease concept. And the HMR line would be complete!

Yeah, the old box artwork is gorgeous to look at back then. Yes, it has those shortcomings. But hey, I was a child back too. ;) 

992330cc49e627185482fc21a259b277.jpg.89af0d2e4b12e8f23204c9de408c3eb9.jpg

As for the HMR, I need those Hayate/Mirage VF-1EX. :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

How the HELL does he not paint over all the Tampo printing??? I doubt he redoes all the markings with waterslide decals..or maybe he does?  But how would he get them to match the Bandai ones???

You can see from the images that the in-progess shots don’t have the same markings. He must recreate them. 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

You can see from the images that the in-progess shots don’t have the same markings. He must recreate them. 🤷‍♂️

That sounds like a colossal PITA

32 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

How the HELL does he not paint over all the Tampo printing??? I doubt he redoes all the markings with waterslide decals..or maybe he does?  But how would he get them to match the Bandai ones???

Some look masked. Zoom the image and look near the air intake on the chest plate. Others like the one the airbrake seem to be lost completely

Edited by Froy

Was happy to receive my VF-1D finally from Luna Park. They mentioned that they had issues because of Olympic activities where some of there merch was stored with DHL. It did appear to have been delivered by Ace Ventura. Brown shipper box covered with a layer of bubble wrap and then put into a plastic DHL bag. Contents were fine but corners were all dented and some box crushing. Sounds like some other folks had similar experience.

Edited by Navtek

On 8/13/2021 at 11:37 AM, no3Ljm said:

Yeah, the old box artwork is gorgeous to look at back then. Yes, it has those shortcomings. But hey, I was a child back too. ;) 

992330cc49e627185482fc21a259b277.jpg.89af0d2e4b12e8f23204c9de408c3eb9.jpg

As for the HMR, I need those Hayate/Mirage VF-1EX. :rolleyes:

I'd rather have them in DX form. The VF-1 molds already exist. Get to it, Bandai!

On 8/14/2021 at 10:54 PM, Lolicon said:

I'd rather have them in DX form. The VF-1 molds already exist. Get to it, Bandai!

Same here. I like them in DX form. ;) 

It's just that they showcased it in HMR form before for them to let it pass. But then, this is Bandai. They are also well known for teasing and vaporwaring. :lol: 

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Just slightly below eBay pricing. Man, the Roy's are shelf warmers. Who would have thought?

Which one is more popular? TV or DYRL?

As far as I know it is the only one that have 2 different appearances.

Almost all the VF-1A and Js variants are unique for TV or DYRL each.

Maybe people us waiting for a DYRL release.

As for now, we've got:

1j Hikaru (TV)

1a Max (TV)

1s Hikaru (Movie)

1a Kakazaki (Movie)

1s Roy (TV)

1d (TV version I think?)

Reissue of the 1j + GPB set for those that pre-ordered it (TV)

My own personal guesses below (in no order): 

If the DYRL versions are next.. Who is it going to be? Max's 1a/1s, Hikaru's 1a, Roy's 1s, VT-1,VD-1 

If another round of TV after DYRL, then one of the M&M's 1j  

17 minutes ago, borgified said:

As for now, we've got:

1j Hikaru (TV)

1a Max (TV)

1s Hikaru (Movie)

1a Kakazaki (Movie)

1s Roy (TV)

1d (TV version I think?)

Reissue of the 1j + GPB set for those that pre-ordered it (TV)

My own personal guesses below (in no order): 

If the DYRL versions are next.. Who is it going to be? Max's 1a/1s, Hikaru's 1a, Roy's 1s, VT-1,VD-1 

If another round of TV after DYRL, then one of the M&M's 1j  

VF-1D is only TV version.

My next guess is between Hikaru's VF-1A or Max's VF-1A from DYRL. Hoping it's Max's so that I have time to save for Hikaru's. ;) 

On 8/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, Navtek said:

Was happy to receive my VF-1D finally from Luna Park. They mentioned that they had issues because of Olympic activities where some of there merch was stored with DHL. It did appear to have been delivered by Ace Ventura. Brown shipper box covered with a layer of bubble wrap and then put into a plastic DHL bag. Contents were fine but corners were all dented and some box crushing. Sounds like some other folks had similar experience.

That was my shipping experience with them.

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

Just slightly below eBay pricing. Man, the Roy's are shelf warmers. Who would have thought?

I really doubt this is a case of not as many people buying Roys though. I think it might be a perfect example of how small the real Macross collecting community is. People always complain about how hard it is to get preorders and it's true but I don't think the easy answer many people express of "make more" works. I'm willing to bet Bandai does look at sales numbers and makes adjustments based on projected sales and they probably did produce more Roys than they did for some others. It's just such a small community that even if they made a relatively small amount more for the production world, like let's say 1000 more units than usual, that makes a huge difference in how long stock lingers and all the people who collect Macross and want the figure to end up getting it. When you calculate the extra amount of profit the small numbers generate for Bandai, I think it is easy to see why they will usually tend towards producing less. It's much easier and more profitable for them to free up factory resources for things that sell in greater numbers with higher profit margins.

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

18 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I really doubt this is a case of not as many people buying Roys though. I think it might be a perfect example of how small the real Macross collecting community is. People always complain about how hard it is to get preorders and it's true but I don't think the easy answer many people express of "make more" works. I'm willing to bet Bandai does look at sales numbers and makes adjustments based on projected sales and they probably did produce more Roys than they did for some others. It's just such a small community that even if they made a relatively small amount more for the production world, like let's say 1000 more units than usual, that makes a huge difference in how long stock lingers and all the people who collect Macross and want the figure to end up getting it. When you calculate the extra amount of profit the small numbers generate for Bandai, I think it is easy to see why they will usually tend towards producing less. It's much easier and more profitable for them to free up factory resources for things that sell in greater numbers with higher profit margins.

Yeah.

I don't think "shelf warmer" can be applied to the DX Roy at all.

Shelf-Warmer usually indicates item is still readily available in regular import shops like Ami or HobbySearch or HLJ as "new".

DX-Roy just ain't available as "new" from the regular import shops right now, so it ain't actually shelf-warming per se.

As far as we know, it seems only the secondary-market have some sort of DX-Roy glut.  

10 hours ago, sqidd said:

above msrp is not shelf warming.   :ph34r:   

Also if you recall the VF-1A TV max.   That was around MSRP for a long while before jump over 30000 yen.

Pretty much as the last two posts pointed out. I think the numbers are so low for Macross that any excess produced will lead to a period where either retailers have stock sitting around (Arcadia) or resellers not being able to move at higher prices. Once that initial stock dries up, Macross items become rare due to the low numbers to begin with so anyone who missed out is looking at prices inflating significantly. This market is too niche for anyone to expect companies to just "make more" whenever they fail to secure a preorder.

1 hour ago, F360 said:

above msrp is not shelf warming.   :ph34r:   

Also if you recall the VF-1A TV max.   That was around MSRP for a long while before jump over 30000 yen.

I do think that Roy will join the 30K Club this year. Probably a similar timeline to when it happened for the 1A Max.