Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

8 hours ago, tekering said:

LEK is obviously a skilled painter, but he clearly doesn't understand what the word "tutorial" means. <_<

Most Americans don't know the meaning of A LOT of the English language.:lol: The word literally for instance.:p

I'll give LEK a pass. He's out of Taiwan or Singapore right? 

15 hours ago, tekering said:

LEK is obviously a skilled painter, but he clearly doesn't understand what the word "tutorial" means. <_<

It looks more like a 'process' than  'tutorial'. <_< I'm guessing he covers most of the tampo prints? I'll just await @DYRL VF-1S feedback. ;) 

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

Most Americans don't know the meaning of A LOT of the English language.:lol: The word literally for instance.:p

I'll give LEK a pass. He's out of Taiwan or Singapore right? 

1 hour ago, borgified said:

Nope... Based on his Facebook page, located in Thailand.

Correct.

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

It looks more like a 'process' than  'tutorial'. <_< I'm guessing he covers most of the tampo prints? I'll just await @DYRL VF-1S feedback. ;) 

:friends:

You haven't reserved a copy of the DX 1J + GBP yet @Special Sauce? You can get one during release week from Manda while Amiami and Jungle will possibly have their copies out for sale a few weeks later. 

Or you could try looking at the "For Sales" thread if others are willing to sell their back up orders. 

On a side note: I'm still keeping an eye out on those "Grails" that your looking for. ;)

57 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey @Froy! Looks like it does as per @jenius review video. Marked at 4:40.

Lol missed that part I guess. Thanks! The movement seems kinda limited tho. I have super for Yammies and really like how you can push them to the sides.

IMG_20210716_150854~2.jpg

On 7/16/2021 at 12:32 PM, borgified said:

You haven't reserved a copy of the DX 1J + GBP yet @Special Sauce? You can get one during release week from Manda while Amiami and Jungle will possibly have their copies out for sale a few weeks later. 

Or you could try looking at the "For Sales" thread if others are willing to sell their back up orders. 

On a side note: I'm still keeping an eye out on those "Grails" that your looking for. ;)

I tried on pre-order night but came up empty.  I figured I'd just wait until it's close to the actual release and try to pick one up then.  There were pre-orders available from some sites but you had to pre-pay.  I wouldn't care about putting a small deposit but I didn't want to fully pay for it months before it's available.  

Thanks @borgified still looking as well. ;)

What are the odds of bandai reprinting their DX chogokin line for USA now that the war is over between the rights holders?

I am not willing to spend $600 for a kairos or 400 for a chronos that looks like someone dipped it in middle school tomato soup. Should I just give up on macross entirely at this point?

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

What are the odds of bandai reprinting their DX chogokin line for USA now that the war is over between the rights holders?

I am not willing to spend $600 for a kairos or 400 for a chronos that looks like someone dipped it in middle school tomato soup. Should I just give up on macross entirely at this point?

Bandai do not normally do reprints for their DX Chogokin line .  So if you are betting on chance then the chance is slim .  

when you say you are not willing to spend  $600 for kairos and $400 for Chronos ,  does that mean you are ok with spending $500 for Kairos and $300 for Chronos ?   If so then you should be able to find them for those prices .   

Since theses are toys if you are not willing to spend the money , then it’s bet to save it or spend it on something else that you think will be more worthwhile.  Buy what you want for the price you are willing to pay , no need to give up Macross entirely just because of 1 or 2 toys. 

2 hours ago, F360 said:

Bandai do not normally do reprints for their DX Chogokin line .  So if you are betting on chance then the chance is slim .  

when you say you are not willing to spend  $600 for kairos and $400 for Chronos ,  does that mean you are ok with spending $500 for Kairos and $300 for Chronos ?   If so then you should be able to find them for those prices .   

Since theses are toys if you are not willing to spend the money , then it’s bet to save it or spend it on something else that you think will be more worthwhile.  Buy what you want for the price you are willing to pay , no need to give up Macross entirely just because of 1 or 2 toys. 

Considering bandai tends to spit on the dirty american market, the ability to find decent macross stuff that isnt low quality trash specifically designed for us is difficult at best. Add in the re-seller market being how it is in modern times, many specific types and franchises end up on scalpers markets or inflated far beyond what they deserve to be worth.  Macross being one of these markets. A kairos, even being a limited run item of a limited run franchise, should not be sold for 4x its already high base price. Even more so when 8/10 times, these items are used, and damaged.

I would pay 300 for a Kairos, and a little less for a chronos. IMO, only way to deserve insanely inflated price points are to be new in box in absolutely mint condition. Not for used with broken parts and damaged boxes, and scratched like someone cleaned it with iron wool.

Edited by cosmic

There's way better places to buy from than eBay.

Try Mandarake, usually much cheaper than eBay, even with international shipping. Or buy off of Yahoo Auctions Japan via a proxy like FromJapan or Buyee.

But even on there, a sealed Kairos would probably be north of $600.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

I second the recommendation on Mandarake. Decent prices and their items have all been in good condition.

I've used Buyee a few times. They are ok. But be careful with their many "hidden" service fees that can add up, like combining items to ship together and "handling" fees.

7 hours ago, cosmic said:

I'm very curious about this valk dipped in tomato soup... :huh:

12 hours ago, cosmic said:

Considering bandai tends to spit on the dirty american market, the ability to find decent macross stuff that isnt low quality trash specifically designed for us is difficult at best. Add in the re-seller market being how it is in modern times, many specific types and franchises end up on scalpers markets or inflated far beyond what they deserve to be worth.  Macross being one of these markets. A kairos, even being a limited run item of a limited run franchise, should not be sold for 4x its already high base price. Even more so when 8/10 times, these items are used, and damaged.

I would pay 300 for a Kairos, and a little less for a chronos. IMO, only way to deserve insanely inflated price points are to be new in box in absolutely mint condition. Not for used with broken parts and damaged boxes, and scratched like someone cleaned it with iron wool.

The good Macross products are for Japan so you just need to spend your time on learning and figuring out how to get it from Japan to USA.   Yes , you will need to plan and wake up in the middle of the night and "try" to place the preorder , just like everyone else here.    If you think your time is worth more, then you can pay the extra to preorder it from a store or someone that is willing to do it for a extra fee. .. Either spend the time or the money :p.

2 hours ago, F360 said:

The good Macross products are for Japan so you just need to spend your time on learning and figuring out how to get it from Japan to USA.   Yes , you will need to plan and wake up in the middle of the night and "try" to place the preorder , just like everyone else here.    If you think your time is worth more, then you can pay the extra to preorder it from a store or someone that is willing to do it for a extra fee. .. Either spend the time or the money :p.

Or like many of us: spend the time, come up empty handed, then spend the money anyway lol

21 hours ago, cosmic said:

Like people already said, use mandarake. They have an alarm function so you get notified when toys you’re looking for gets available. It may take a while but it will come in eventually. Sadly the toy part of this hobby is kinda infected, atleast the part of buying at release. I get the impression  there are, besides some few lucky,  a couple of greedy persons who buys up larger quantities and then scalps fellow hobbyist of cash. But, keep in mind it’s still not a cheap hobby but mandarake has quite fair prices :) 

10 minutes ago, Jesper77 said:

Like people already said, use mandarake. They have an alarm function so you get notified when toys you’re looking for gets available. It may take a while but it will come in eventually. Sadly the toy part of this hobby is kinda infected, atleast the part of buying at release. I get the impression  there are, besides some few lucky,  a couple of greedy persons who buys up larger quantities and then scalps fellow hobbyist of cash. But, keep in mind it’s still not a cheap hobby but mandarake has quite fair prices :) 

I don't think there are many collectors actually scalping. Not in any sort of scale. I think they're professional scalpers. 

17 hours ago, cosmic said:

It's the Bandai limited release business model that feeds scalping...I don't like the prices too but if you do some research and put a bit of time, you can find great prices

on used ones from Yahoo Auctions Japan.  Mandarake is an option but I use Yahoo Auctions more than them simply because the competition is stronger for Mandarake.

Buying used is a gamble but out of countless purchases I have made on Yahoo Auctions Japan, only 1 had real issue.  Aside from that one purchase, all my used are in good to great conditions and prices were fair unlike US Ebay lol.

To put this into better perspective, I just purchased my VF-1D for $285 BNIB in Tamashii brown box off Yahoo Auctions with free domestic shipping and international shipping will be about $30 for me so $315 total.  MSRP for it from Japan was around 25000 yen so give or take $40 in premium which isn't bad at all.  

Edited by BroTaku79
adding more content

2 hours ago, BroTaku79 said:

It's the Bandai limited release business model that feeds scalping...I don't like the prices too but if you do some research and put a bit of time, you can find great prices

on used ones from Yahoo Auctions Japan.  Mandarake is an option but I use Yahoo Auctions more than them simply because the competition is stronger for Mandarake.

Buying used is a gamble but out of countless purchases I have made on Yahoo Auctions Japan, only 1 had real issue.  Aside from that one purchase, all my used are in good to great conditions and prices were fair unlike US Ebay lol.

To put this into better perspective, I just purchased my VF-1D for $285 BNIB in Tamashii brown box off Yahoo Auctions with free domestic shipping and international shipping will be about $30 for me so $315 total.  MSRP for it from Japan was around 25000 yen so give or take $40 in premium which isn't bad at all.  

I looked, yes you do need someone like Buyee.

What does "unopened/unused/unconfirmed" mean for condition. I see it on some boxed items. If its used, but sealed, how do you know what you are buying is even in the box and you arnt getting a box full of cicadas instead of a toy?

Edited by cosmic