Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

37 minutes ago, Dirtyboy said:

For those interested NY selling missles for close to Retail price atm. Not a bad deal 

I think the only way to trust N-Y again is for them to charge your card _AFTER ACTUAL CONFIRMED DELIVERY OF ITEM(S) TO RECIPIENT_ .

Otherwise, nope...

Sorry I can’t remember which fellow Canuck I was talking to about FedEx shipping the TV Super parts a few weeks ago. We were happy at the time because FedEx didn’t charge any extra fees on delivery. Well as I suspected I got a little surprise letter in the mail with a bill for the fees. I really hope Japan Post starts shipping to Canada again soon because those courier border fees are killing me. 

Off topic but as an example I recently ended up paying $95 CAD for a $36 book from HLJ using DHL. It was $35 shipping paid to HLJ and then when the parcel was on the way DHL billed me another $24 in border fees. I was super pissed. It was the Transformers Generations 2021 “mook” which is essentially a thick magazine. So I paid $95 for an import magazine. Ouch. 

4 hours ago, Paco Grande said:

Sorry I can’t remember which fellow Canuck I was talking to about FedEx shipping the TV Super parts a few weeks ago. We were happy at the time because FedEx didn’t charge any extra fees on delivery. Well as I suspected I got a little surprise letter in the mail with a bill for the fees. I really hope Japan Post starts shipping to Canada again soon because those courier border fees are killing me. 

Off topic but as an example I recently ended up paying $95 CAD for a $36 book from HLJ using DHL. It was $35 shipping paid to HLJ and then when the parcel was on the way DHL billed me another $24 in border fees. I was super pissed. It was the Transformers Generations 2021 “mook” which is essentially a thick magazine. So I paid $95 for an import magazine. Ouch. 

A fellow Canadian member here getting ripped off by dhl and fedex in fees. I am hopeful though we also get EMS back soon as JPost resumed services to US as of June 1st.:huh:

On 6/6/2021 at 2:06 PM, Angesdad said:

A fellow Canadian member here getting ripped off by dhl and fedex in fees. I am hopeful though we also get EMS back soon as JPost resumed services to US as of June 1st.:huh:

If you can't avoid using a courier and Fedex Express is available, choose Fedex (assuming the shipping is lower or around the same) as they waive their disbursement fees (~$10) if you pay using a Fedex Account (you need to create one) so you'll just be paying for the duties and taxes. When you receive your invoice, call their support and tell them that you'll be using your Fedex account to pay for the duties/taxes.

If you live in a country that charges customs duties and taxes for your toys then you should plan out what your final price is going to be.

Buy from stores that can lower your declare value

Buy from store that will ship to a proxy that can lower your declare value

Do not use Fedex or DHL if you want to sneak something under the radar 

16 hours ago, F360 said:

If you live in a country that charges customs duties and taxes for your toys then you should plan out what your final price is going to be.

Buy from stores that can lower your declare value

Buy from store that will ship to a proxy that can lower your declare value

Do not use Fedex or DHL if you want to sneak something under the radar 

The issue is that we don't know what the fees will be until it's too late. For Fedex I didn't receive the invoice with all the fees until 2 weeks or more after I received the item. Also if I'm paying $30-40 or more to someone like HLJ I'm assuming that's ALL the fees because it's already expensive. I'm used to DHL through Amazon Japan which has no more surprise fees because Amazon pays the taxes etc. on my behalf. Anyway, hopefully Japan Post shows Canada some love soon and I won't have to use couriers anymore.

FYI for anyone not aware, some of the couriers like UPS have actually had class action lawsuits against them (at least in Canada) and had to pay the fees back. What they were doing is charging the full shipping amount including fees to the shipper, and then turning around and double charging the same fees to the receiver. So getting the fees twice. I ended up getting some money back from UPS because of the lawsuit. I just don't trust the couriers at all.

7 minutes ago, Paco Grande said:

The issue is that we don't know what the fees will be until it's too late. For Fedex I didn't receive the invoice with all the fees until 2 weeks or more after I received the item. Also if I'm paying $30-40 or more to someone like HLJ I'm assuming that's ALL the fees because it's already expensive. I'm used to DHL through Amazon Japan which has no more surprise fees because Amazon pays the taxes etc. on my behalf. Anyway, hopefully Japan Post shows Canada some love soon and I won't have to use couriers anymore.

FYI for anyone not aware, some of the couriers like UPS have actually had class action lawsuits against them (at least in Canada) and had to pay the fees back. What they were doing is charging the full shipping amount including fees to the shipper, and then turning around and double charging the same fees to the receiver. So getting the fees twice. I ended up getting some money back from UPS because of the lawsuit. I just don't trust the couriers at all.

you can still estimate the possible taxes/duties though. For figures, toys and related items there's no duty (0%) but you need to pay the GST or the federal portion of HST which is 5% of the declared item value. And as mentioned, if using Fedex Express (do note that this is different from Fedex ground which is usually used on items bought from the US) their disbursement fee of  ~$10 can be waived if you pay through a Fedex account (you can create one), so you'll basically just be paying the duties/taxes. So no need to go to the nearest CBSA office and self-clear, unlike the other two couriers (DHL and UPS).  You should always factor at least that 5% tax in your purchases unless the seller (like Amazon JP) prepays it (I think only Amazon is doing this among the Japanese shops/sellers)

DHL's own fee is around ~$17 nowadays for the most part (unless you have a really high value item), which I say is still somewhat reasonable (comparing to Canada Post's own fee which is $10). As for UPS, avoid it like a plague as they have the highest fees among the three.

12 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

you can still estimate the possible taxes/duties though. For figures, toys and related items there's no duty (0%) but you need to pay the GST or the federal portion of HST which is 5% of the declared item value. And as mentioned, if using Fedex Express (do note that this is different from Fedex ground which is usually used on items bought from the US) their disbursement fee of  ~$10 can be waived if you pay through a Fedex account (you can create one), so you'll basically just be paying the duties/taxes. So no need to go to the nearest CBSA office and self-clear, unlike the other two couriers (DHL and UPS).  You should always factor at least that 5% tax in your purchases unless the seller (like Amazon JP) prepays it (I think only Amazon is doing this among the Japanese shops/sellers)

DHL's own fee is around ~$17 nowadays for the most part (unless you have a really high value item), which I say is still somewhat reasonable (comparing to Canada Post's own fee which is $10). As for UPS, avoid it like a plague as they have the highest fees among the three.

Yup, I understand how it works. But for me in Ontario it has always been the full tax amount of 13% for toys. That's what I normally pay to Amazon Japan. I have never been charged a border fee by Canada Post. Again, what I'm griping about is paying $95 for a $36 magazine from Japan, delivered by DHL. That is not reasonable and should not be acceptable. That's a 260% fee/taxes. The FedEx fee on the TV super parts was OK considering the cost of the item. I use Fedex maybe once every 3 years so I'm not going to create an account to save $10. It's not worth the email spam I will receive. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up. I was just at hlj looking at other things and didn't even think to search for a Roy. Not sure how to thumbs up a post anymore.

Wow, an hour after the post and I still managed to grab one from hlj. Demand must have really gone down.

Edited by KFDzero

Nice! I snagged a 2nd one that I wanted so I can display 1 with Super packs and 1 without. 

Now I will be annoyed if Bandai announce DX VF-1S TV Hikaru with bundled Super Pack. 😩

Edited by eggy99

7 hours ago, eggy99 said:

Now I will be annoyed if Bandai announce DX VF-1S TV Hikaru with bundled Super Pack. 😩

5 hours ago, KFDzero said:

Haha, I have the exact same thoughts and the exact same worries. Knowing my luck, it will be released that way, with correct pilot markings and all lol

giphy.gif.2b2b9e8f29d9fb1d97c90d739dd57169.gif

:lol: 

Anyone try to remove the canopy to chop and change between toys? I want to try and swap the 1J Hikaru canopy to my 1S, so it can be a 1S Hikaru and be canon with the Super Packs.

It looks impossible to remove it when looking at it in fighter mode. I still have not fully transformed my 1st 1S Roy to test it out. 😓

And HLJ listing is now sold out.

Edited by eggy99