Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

9 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

My YF-29 from 2012 has yellowed. 

It's amazing to me that they can't put a UV protective coating on the plastic to help keep that from happening or some other solution.  These things aren't cheap, even if you can get them at retail prices they're still expensive.  They aren't for kids at that price point so they know they're aimed at the adult collector.  

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I don't know if a surface coating would even stop it, some of this is just natural deterioration of the plastic.  

Though, I don't know of anyone who wants to cut a valk in half to find out for sure. :lol: 

That would make sense since it seems like only portions of the valk itself yellows and not the entirety.  I've even seen one's that will have one leg yellow and one that's fine.  That tells me it's the quality of the plastic they're using in production.  I'd pay a little more to get plastic that doesn't yellow like that.  

Even if it was surface coated, how long would that coat last? Even the best ceramic coating I've used for cars needs to be reapplied regularly.

Also, not saying it isn't going to happen but a picture of a specific valk that is yellowed isn't proof that they all will.

Finally, I usually just say "so what if it's yellow?". It's just a color...still a valk. You can just say it's another variant of the many color valks we have.

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Even if it was surface coated, how long would that coat last? Even the best ceramic coating I've used for cars needs to be reapplied regularly.

Also, not saying it isn't going to happen but a picture of a specific valk that is yellowed isn't proof that they all will.

Finally, I usually just say "so what if it's yellow?". It's just a color...still a valk. You can just say it's another variant of the many color valks we have.

True, it's more or less that I think it can be avoided if using the right kind of plastic.  We pay a pretty good price for these so I think they should be made with quality materials.  Plus it's not like we leave them outside or mistreat them.  They should be able to withstand a little indirect sunlight from the window or being taken outside for pictures from time to time.  

20 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I learned that lesson hard with my old GI Joe space shuttle, which, even in complete darkness in a thick cardboard box, turned a nice shade of butter yellow from sitting in the garage for years.  (Funny thing.. the white shuttlecraft in the bay?  Still pristine.  The dark plastic of the bay, and black bay doors absorbed all of the UV, and it's still in perfect condition.)

Cardboard is opaque to UV though. It was probably just made of a different plastic than the shuttle. Sometimes plastics undergo a chemical reaction as they age, no sunlight required.

1 hour ago, MikeRoz said:

Cardboard is opaque to UV though. It was probably just made of a different plastic than the shuttle. Sometimes plastics undergo a chemical reaction as they age, no sunlight required.

Oh, yeah, the cardboard definitely didn't shield it, I'm more surprised the rest of the garage over it didn't do more. :lol:   What I mean is more that I think the scout shuttle was shielded by the black and dark gray plastic of the bay.

1 hour ago, eXis10z said:

I saw someone's DX VF-1J already yellowed.

A few months of direct exposure to sunlight (followed by an equal amount of time in storage) would likely lead to such a scenario, even within the span of a couple years...

Geez, it's already been more than two years since the first DX VF-1 release! :o

randall-munroe-quotes-1406592.jpg

12 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Hey, this is from a while back but wondering if this site you ordered from delivered?

Nope. I gave them like a week after release date and when I didn't hear anything from them and they didn't respond to my inquiries, I just Paypal disputed it and got my money back.

My Focker from Amazon JP shipped via Rakuten Global Express via sea mail finally arrived. 64 days.

Perfect paint apps and almost perfect decals. Just 1 of the nose cone decals (the point at the end of the black strip) is misaligned like many others have noted. 

Still have to do a transformation test to ensure no faults. 

Still wish I was able to get a 2nd Focker to display 1 in battroid and 1 in fighter with Supers. 

Oh well. Just have to hope Bandai release a TV 1S Hikaru with Supers pack. 

Only 4 months until 1D Trainer!

Hey all, haven't posted here in a good long time. I finally have the means to get my first 1/48 vf1 and I'm not sure which to buy. If I choose to buy the old yamato my money will go further, I can get the valk, missiles,  and fast packs for around the same price as a bandai dx without missiles. On the other hand if the dx really is that much better then then initial cost wouldnt be so outrageous. I've never owned or handled either toy before so I'm looking for some opinions from you guys, who have owned lots of both. I'm going for the vf-1s Roy either way, as I've always loved the black and yellow. Which would you buy if you could only have one?

Yamato made, in the 1/48 scale, only the DYRL version of Roy while Bandai has released only the SDFM of our beloved Skull leader. I guess it depends on which one you feel more attached to...in any case, Bandai VFs are clearly better under pretty much every aspect although i still love my yamatos and i won't be replacing them with the new ones(i promised myself i will only buy the versions that yamato never released). Despite everything i think that the silhouette on fighter mode on the Yamatos is still the best among all the others VF-1 toys.

When in doubt, go to Scorched Earth Toys at anymoon.com^_^

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-25.jpg

The general consensus is that Yamato's 1:48 still shines in fighter mode, but battroid mode has skinny arms and extremely awkward hands.

Bandai-DX-VF-1S-Hikaru-13A.jpg

Bandai's DX has a much beefier robot mode, better articulation, more tampographed details, and particularly well-designed hands. :good:

1 hour ago, ACH-138 said:

Hey all, haven't posted here in a good long time. I finally have the means to get my first 1/48 vf1 and I'm not sure which to buy. If I choose to buy the old yamato my money will go further, I can get the valk, missiles,  and fast packs for around the same price as a bandai dx without missiles. On the other hand if the dx really is that much better then then initial cost wouldnt be so outrageous. I've never owned or handled either toy before so I'm looking for some opinions from you guys, who have owned lots of both. I'm going for the vf-1s Roy either way, as I've always loved the black and yellow. Which would you buy if you could only have one?

Well if you do decide on the Roy, message me. I have one more available at a decent price (just not retail) if you’re interested.

Thanks guys, I did watch anymoons' comparison but I should go back to get more details. From what you're telling me it seems like the dx really is worth the $$$. Also from those pics I really prefer the bright white of the bandai to the yellow white of the yammie.

2 hours ago, ACH-138 said:

Thanks guys, I did watch anymoons' comparison but I should go back to get more details. From what you're telling me it seems like the dx really is worth the $$$. Also from those pics I really prefer the bright white of the bandai to the yellow white of the yammie.

I recently got my hands on a VF-1S TV. It is not really white. It is a greyish off white.

E6A92124-8B2C-4088-A389-93208B187478.thumb.jpeg.970d54e7d5675be3b5b0af68cf914711.jpeg

I would make use of TV closed fist hands in poses if they were included.  Next pose is Roy’s Gerwalk landing from episode 2.  I’ll wait for the sun to come out to take another pic of it.

8 hours ago, ACH-138 said:

Hey all, haven't posted here in a good long time. I finally have the means to get my first 1/48 vf1 and I'm not sure which to buy. If I choose to buy the old yamato my money will go further, I can get the valk, missiles,  and fast packs for around the same price as a bandai dx without missiles. On the other hand if the dx really is that much better then then initial cost wouldnt be so outrageous. I've never owned or handled either toy before so I'm looking for some opinions from you guys, who have owned lots of both. I'm going for the vf-1s Roy either way, as I've always loved the black and yellow.

Other than the stupid self-disconnecting design and over-tampo'ing, the Bandai DX is much much nicer and all that than the ancient Yamato 1/48.

Unfortunately, it can get really challenging and almost impossible to get the Roy (or any of the previous ones) at least at the MSRP level.  Budget at least 27k-yen for the valk and possibly about 6000y (or more?) for the shipping-fees for the valk alone.

Then you gotta hunt down the FAST-packs (either the DYRL or the TV) for it, but budget around 14k-18kyen for each in Mandarake or wherever import-shops. 

Plus around 3500y shipping-fees for either. 

Oh, it does not come with missiles. So then you gotta hunt down the Missiles set for it if you require it.  Budget around 8k-yen to 12k-yen for the missile-set.

Plus 1200y or so shipping-fees.

add/edit: I forgot to mention that the TV FAST-Pack set do come with the red-tipped reaction-missiles. So at least there's that. 

However, it only comes with the UNSPACY Kite insignia for the FastPacks.

In contrast, the only Yammie 1/48 Roy I can find is the Weathered-Special at Mandarake, and it is sitting at 40k-yen right now.

Who knows how much the shipping-fees for it, but the Yammie 1/48 comes in stupidly humongous box so be ready for sticker-shock.

The separate FAST-Pack/Reaction-Missiles set is about 5k-yen right now over there. Not sure how much shipping-fees for that, but prolly around 4k-yen or more.

Which would you buy if you could only have one?

This is MW.

Most (if not all) don't have just one...

Edited by treatment
additions

Oh I know, I had to re-register in 2018 but I've been surfing these forums since 08. It was mostly just a hypothetical for you guys but that's really my situation. I collect a few different toy lines but I also like to have a few "jewels" in the collection. Every so often I allow myself to really get crazy and order a high-end Japanese toy of a mech or character that I've always wanted but couldn't justify the price tag or shelf space, and thanks to another MWer it looks like I may be getting the Bandai DX Roy. 

2 hours ago, treatment said:

This is MW.

Most (if not all) don't have just one...

2103465962_Screenshot_20210325-154151_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.29b36bdde722af126599f33a681ba67b.jpg

Personally, knowing what I know now about the different valks, I'd choose a minty 1/48 Yamato Hikaru 1J if I had to choose just one VF-1.  I'm a sucker for fighter mode which Yamato did better IMO, and Hikaru's IJ is what first pops in my head when Macross valkyries are mentioned.