Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

31 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I prefer these: https://www.hlj.com/gundam-marker-extra-thin-type-gray-for-panel-lines-gnzgm302p

Usually called "extra thin" or "pour type" markers.

They work via capillary action and will spread down crevices and lines on their own. Requires less tracing and less cleanup, they can also get into crevices where even fine-tips won't fit.

I also prefer gray PL, especially on plastic this light. It's just a bit more subtle. The only drawback is that on the SSP it doesn't show too well. 

9 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Panel lining complete on my IJ. Eagerly awaiting the next round of TV Fast Packs to ship in April hopefully!?! 

20210314_093607.jpg

Looks good.

7 hours ago, Tallman said:

Nice pose in this angle .

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I need my Sivil figure to truly complete that cover!:D

A Sivil figure would be cool.

@rocketblast - I don't clear coat anything I do on toys.  I use Flory's clay based grime wash for the 1J. I used Dark Dirt for years, but on the lighter colored Valks, grime is better IMHO, not as dark.  You have to go over the lines twice, but it's fine to handle without clearcoat and the wash is down in the panel lines.  

11 hours ago, treatment said:

just saw from TD:

http://toysdaily.com/discuz/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=465138&pid=8150642

174228a17giej8e7g59i19.thumb.jpg.d12fc4572d8ccb6c67944d107344ab85.jpg

Wing seems a little different...

Actual conversation today when I showed my wife the pictures from there:

Me: Look what's coming for me in June!
Wife: Don't you have that already.
Me: NO, those two are the Yamato 1/60. This is a 1/48 DX Chogokin like my Roy and Max.
Wife: And don't you have a smaller one too?
Me: That's the Hi Metal R! And that one doesn't come with a fan racer.

8 hours ago, vladykins said:

Actual conversation today when I showed my wife the pictures from there:

Me: Look what's coming for me in June!
Wife: Don't you have that already.
Me: NO, those two are the Yamato 1/60. This is a 1/48 DX Chogokin like my Roy and Max.
Wife: And don't you have a smaller one too?
Me: That's the Hi Metal R! And that one doesn't come with a fan racer.

:pardon:

5 hours ago, borgified said:

That's how you know when the wifey starts question you on the stuff that you get as it looks the same to her. 

Cue up the Simpson's vid: "It's the same Malibu Stacy, but a new hat"...  

:rofl:

11 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

it takes so long:vava::lol:

at least your boat did not get attack by Godzilla or Angel like what happen to the boat that my MB EVA 02 was in,.   :angry:....

The boat went back to japan for damage assessment .... but my MB is supposedly still in a container on that ship and not the ones the fell overboard, :wacko:

2 hours ago, F360 said:

at least your boat did not get attack by Godzilla or Angel like what happen to the boat that my MB EVA 02 was in,.   :angry:....

The boat went back to japan for damage assessment .... but my MB is supposedly still in a container on that ship and not the ones the fell overboard, :wacko:

:lol: damn... i hope your shipment makes it before the summer:unsure:

2 hours ago, F360 said:

Meanwhile Tom Hanks is like “WTF is this?”

B480759F-AC35-4483-9704-C53FDBA77EC2.jpeg

51 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

:lol: damn... i hope your shipment makes it before the summer:unsure:

Hopefully 

48 minutes ago, RedComet said:

Meanwhile Tom Hanks is like “WTF is this?”

:rofl:.. so that means I will be getting my package :yahoo:... just a couple of years later.. :ph34r:

On 3/15/2021 at 7:10 AM, derex3592 said:

@rocketblast - I don't clear coat anything I do on toys.  I use Flory's clay based grime wash for the 1J. I used Dark Dirt for years, but on the lighter colored Valks, grime is better IMHO, not as dark.  You have to go over the lines twice, but it's fine to handle without clearcoat and the wash is down in the panel lines.  

Cool thanks.  actually I'm going to have to re-paint my Yamato 1/60 v1 VF-1A because they use crappy plastic and both wings yellowed completely in a non-smoking home.

1 hour ago, rocketblast said:

Cool thanks.  actually I'm going to have to re-paint my Yamato 1/60 v1 VF-1A because they use crappy plastic and both wings yellowed completely in a non-smoking home.

Did it yellow because it was in the sunlight?  I've also heard oils from the skin can cause it too.

Just now, Special Sauce said:

Did it yellow because it was in the sunlight?  I've also heard oils from the skin can cause it too.

yeah sunlight is more than likely what did it

I also have a brand new one in the box in my closet.  I hide all my yamato from sunlight any more.  I don't have this issue with bandai.

2 minutes ago, rocketblast said:

I also have a brand new one in the box in my closet.  I hide all my yamato from sunlight any more.  I don't have this issue with bandai.

I know it's probably me just being anal but I feel like I should probably handle mine with white gloves LOL, considering what I'm paying for them.

5 hours ago, rocketblast said:

You don't have to even put the Bandai ones out in the sun, a lot of them will just yellow in the box. :p  Makes me curious to dig out my old VF-25s and see how they're doing.

The VF-1s though?  They're not a bright white, they're a very light gray.  Don't know if that will completely prevent yellowing, but it should help.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Oh, you will.  Eventually, we all will.

IMG_0552.jpg

It's only a matter of time. :(

I'm really curious if Bandai caught this issue somewhere in production. It seems like the movie and tornado version VF-25F toys don't have nearly the issues that the original release toys did (speaking of all the V1 toys). Of course, they were later releases so maybe they're just time bombs.

6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

You don't have to even put the Bandai ones out in the sun, a lot of them will just yellow in the box. :p  Makes me curious to dig out my old VF-25s and see how they're doing.

The VF-1s though?  They're not a bright white, they're a very light gray.  Don't know if that will completely prevent yellowing, but it should help.

Hikaru VF-1A v1 1/60 Yamato.. at least I just only have one valk that has yellowed so i can't really complain a whole lot.  Plus I shouldn't have ever taken it out of its box to begin with.

24 minutes ago, rocketblast said:

Hikaru VF-1A v1 1/60 Yamato.. at least I just only have one valk that has yellowed so i can't really complain a whole lot.  Plus I shouldn't have ever taken it out of its box to begin with.

I would never say you shouldn't take them out of the box, but just be aware of how sunlight and heat can ruin plastic.  I learned that lesson hard with my old GI Joe space shuttle, which, even in complete darkness in a thick cardboard box, turned a nice shade of butter yellow from sitting in the garage for years.  (Funny thing.. the white shuttlecraft in the bay?  Still pristine.  The dark plastic of the bay, and black bay doors absorbed all of the UV, and it's still in perfect condition.)

Bottom line, if you want to protect your toys, keep them inside of something else that will absorb UV rays, and keep them in a temperature-controlled environment.

5 hours ago, rocketblast said:

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I would never say you shouldn't take them out of the box, but just be aware of how sunlight and heat can ruin plastic.  I learned that lesson hard with my old GI Joe space shuttle, which, even in complete darkness in a thick cardboard box, turned a nice shade of butter yellow from sitting in the garage for years.  (Funny thing.. the white shuttlecraft in the bay?  Still pristine.  The dark plastic of the bay, and black bay doors absorbed all of the UV, and it's still in perfect condition.)

Bottom line, if you want to protect your toys, keep them inside of something else that will absorb UV rays, and keep them in a temperature-controlled environment.

...and even when you do that, sometimes yellowing still happens because of the composition of the plastic. The Toys R Us exclusive VF-1A CF Yamato v1 1/60 comes to mind. The landing gear flaps and missiles turned this awful shade of yellow, despite my keeping the valk in controlled storage since I got it in 2002, and every one of them that shows up on Mandarake has exactly the same issue, so it seems to be a manufacturing problem. To add to @Chronocidal's bottom line: do what you can, within reason, but sometimes yellowing is going to happen regardless. @tekering has a lot of examples of how it still happens, even under the best of conditions. :unknw: