Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I hate to be an ass but I've been barking for awhile now how when we give up too much info on the board here lurkers (not just the lovely members here) take that free and valuable info using it without giving back. Then, see what happens? Ya'll can't use From Japan anymore. It's not just the noobs who are using that info and then assimilating to the board. It's all of the lurkers who do nothing but take.

:shok:

Edit: Btw, same thing happened to me by promoting Okini Land during the DX Max release. Everyone was skeptical because they were new and now I'm lucky if I can score from them. It would've eventually come out so I don't mind being the one to call attention to them on the board initially but I shot my own odds in the foot by doing so. Catch 22 - help the board but hurt myself.

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

When it is PO night, I'm all about sharing where things pop up and are available. But for the 1D I just up and hit the link for AE rather than try to go cheaper on a proxy order.

Probably what soured me the most on From Japan was them accepting orders and then cancelling them later when folks then are stuck scrambling. So it is less it being shared here than it is them overbooking up front.

19 minutes ago, jenius said:

Maybe we just need a dx thread for each release just to capture the several pages of PO madness? 

I think that's spot on. As soon as a new DX is announced, we should throw a PO Madness thread just for that release. Pin some basics at the top so people either quit asking repeated common questions or at the least can be pointed easily to it.

11 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I think that's spot on. As soon as a new DX is announced, we should throw a PO Madness thread just for that release. Pin some basics at the top so people either quit asking repeated common questions or at the least can be pointed easily to it.

So interns a solo thread for following versions of the 1s, a and d pre-order madness with the pics and links (to get after release date as well) for them? Sounds good for me, however crossing the streams of the different variants will happen. I have a strange feeling that some will be "Karens" and starts whining on why there's do many different threads for the VF-1 and why not in the same thread... 

It's because I'm spamming the thread too much and derailing it purposely just to tick others off right?? <_< 

Edit: Am I the only one that still does this? :bigshok:

Edited by borgified

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Maybe we just need a dx thread for each release just to capture the several pages of PO madness? 

I had already suggested this to Shawn yesterday along with some other things....so I agree this would help control some of the problem...

I would go further and just make a permanent PO Night thread that would be exclusively used on PO nights and not a new PO thread for each release.....if the mods wanted to, they can even go as far as locking and unlocking it as appropriate.....I would say it would be fair to unlock it for each PO night for any new Macross product and then keep it unlocked for a few weeks after.....with only PO related info to be posted, mainly links to sites that list product as it becomes available....

I also think we really should go back to separate topics for each separate Macross toy....as soon as we hear of something new, open a new topic and start posting anything related to it in that topic (minus PO night chatter and links to sales posts)....

The problem of having things the way they are now is that the newer toys will always be heavily weighted on the front-end....while info about past releases within the same toy line will get buried 100's of pages back....making searches very difficult...at the moment, I don't even bother searching within the MW site and instead search MW via Google for better results....still, it would be great if searches within the site were more productive...

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

I had already suggested this to Shawn yesterday along with some other things....so I agree this would help control some of the problem...

I would go further and just make a permanent PO Night thread that would be exclusively used on PO nights and not a new PO thread for each release.....if the mods wanted to, they can even go as far as locking and unlocking it as appropriate.....I would say it would be fair to unlock it for each PO night for any new Macross product and then keep it unlocked for a few weeks after.....with only PO related info to be posted, mainly links to sites that list product as it becomes available....

I also think we really should go back to separate topics for each separate Macross toy....as soon as we hear of something new, open a new topic and start posting anything related to it in that topic (minus PO night chatter and links to sales posts)....

The problem of having things the way they are now is that the newer toys will always be heavily weighted on the front-end....while info about past releases within the same toy line will get buried 100's of pages back....making searches very difficult...at the moment, I don't even bother searching within the MW site and instead search MW via Google for better results....still, it would be great if searches within the site were more productive...

A PO Madness thread with the first post being basic newb info that gets locked and unlocked as appropriate sounds like a great idea. It can even have the post before it gets locked say something like "Next PO is toy Y on month date, year" and then unlocks a few days beforehand. 

Maybe instead of doing a thread for each release, a thread for each year? The reason I suggest that is if someone were making a general VF-1 observation, and there were three VF-1 active threads, it might be a little annoying to hunt that post down a few months later. 

9 hours ago, vladykins said:

Hey, can you tell me how to purchase TWE items? And let me know all your proxies so I can use them before you and you get no chance to use them? :crazy:

8 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

This is why I can't order TWE items using From Japan anymore :blink:

Yeah, I don't bother with From Japan anymore because it's too popular. But I also don't discourage anyone from using them because the people who lurk here are likely the same ones who won't put in the time to find out if using From Japan is a good idea by, you know, being active participants in this community and keeping up on threads like this one. So while they're waiting to receive their cancellation notices for TWE items, the rest of us are going through other sources. ;)

9 minutes ago, jenius said:

A PO Madness thread with the first post being basic newb info that gets locked and unlocked as appropriate sounds like a great idea. It can even have the post before it gets locked say something like "Next PO is toy Y on month date, year" and then unlocks a few days beforehand. 

Maybe instead of doing a thread for each release, a thread for each year? The reason I suggest that is if someone were making a general VF-1 observation, and there were three VF-1 active threads, it might be a little annoying to hunt that post down a few months later. 

Ultimately, nothing will work if it does not get validated by Shawn and/or the mods.....without the needed "street cred" and the "understood" repercussions of going against accepted forum guidelines, written or not, you will always have someone wanting to do the complete opposite and thus derail threads, purposefully or not...

As for your specific example on "general" observations....I think, as is mostly done today, such observations seem to be posted regarding the latest and newest releases....but in either case, whatever keeps total page counts down would work in the long run.....for example, let's say Bandai finally decided to "fix" some of the missing markings on the DX....I am not sure what value would be served by needing to reference an old VF-1J post if the observation is that the latest release fixed a past error on all DX VF-1's release so far.....or something along those lines.....we would be making the observation on the latest release because it was missing on all past releases.....essentially it was a known "issue" that has now been addressed....

Trying to think where that may be an issue....perhaps if something that had worked all along on prior releases, suddenly getting Bandai'd on the most recent release?  Then there may be a need to go back into another thread to provide evidence of this?  But still, it would be the same thing, just reversed...the older releases were known to be fine, but not the newest release, thus all discussion of the newly discovered issue would best kept within the confines of that specific release's thread/topic? 

I think it is worth coming up with something better than what we have now....I think things were working fine before, but it all changed, starting with the HMR line, when we seemed to have collectively drifted to combing everything into a single product line thread....perhaps we thought it would die quickly so why bother?  I sort of feel similarly about the "current" Macross DX VF-1 line...how far can it really go?  But still, I do feel separating out releases going forward will be beneficial and will re-establish how we should proceed with any future Macross product release...

I'm still not hearing any workable solutions that are a significant improvement on what is happening right now. Just most of the same problems, in a different flavor. What I am seeing proposed is to get rid of the one big tread because it is hard to search for smaller threads that will not be any easier to search in short order. But with the added benefit of having to get DX information from 2-10 different places <sarcasm>.

Trading one set of problems for anther set of problems is not a solution.

Whatever the pros and cons are, it just makes sense that a forum dedicated to Macross would/could/should have dedicated threads to each Macross release. We can still have the general threads for general info and sharing or those could evolve into other types of more specific threads. I don't really care and can find a way to make it work for me either way but just my 2 cents.

52 minutes ago, vladykins said:

As this is one of the threads I haunt, if it gets split into different threads, I'll just be haunting the new posts in those threads instead. I'm not sure if there will be much of an advantage over what we currently have.

Sounds scary.:p

It's actually quite simple.....going forward...if you want info on the DX VF-1D....you will simply go to the DX VF-1D thread.....if you want info on the future DX VF-1J Max you will search in that thread......if you want info on the original DX VF-1J, VF-1A Max TV, VF-1S Hikaru, VF-1A DYRL Kakizaki, or VF-1S TV Focker....well, you will be ecstatic because it will not change....you will still have the pleasure to be fooked because you will need to find whatever you are looking for across the  700+ pages of the current DX VF-1 Mega Thread which will eventually die........like most other past releases of any Macross toy or collectible....the threads eventually get fewer and fewer posts because it no longer discusses the latest and greatest release....interest falls and fewer post for it get made....why keep the current DX VF-1 thread going with new releases?  Want to see it grow to 1400+ pages?  If kept separately, at least you know where to look and have way less pages to go through or perform a search on to find what you may be looking for....if nothing else...it keeps things in order and there is value in that alone...but seriously, regardless of how easy or not a search will be...there is no way to argue that searching across 30-50 pages (check older dedicated Macross product pages, they have never grown to be much larger than 50 pages) will not be better than searching through a 700+ page behemoth....and before anyone suggest to "archive" the current DX VF-1 Mega Thread and start a V 2.0.....why would you eventually want to go through potentially 1400+ pages of info?  That method only works for topics like "PIC" threads and random discussion threads like the "What anime are you watching?"....specific Macross toy threads naturally just die and do not balloon to an unusable/unsearchable size....eventually they disappear from memory waiting for years in complete solitude until someone randomly  necromances it back from the depths of purgatory for a brief foray with relevance....

This is the way....

10 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I hate to be an ass but I've been barking for awhile now how when we give up too much info on the board here lurkers (not just the lovely members here) take that free and valuable info using it without giving back. Then, see what happens? Ya'll can't use From Japan anymore. It's not just the noobs who are using that info and then assimilating to the board. It's all of the lurkers who do nothing but take.

:shok:

Edit: Btw, same thing happened to me by promoting Okini Land during the DX Max release. Everyone was skeptical because they were new and now I'm lucky if I can score from them. It would've eventually come out so I don't mind being the one to call attention to them on the board initially but I shot my own odds in the foot by doing so. Catch 22 - help the board but hurt myself.

Those are all just symptoms of a deeper rot, one that starts at the top, with Bandai. 

3 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Yeah, I don't bother with From Japan anymore because it's too popular. But I also don't discourage anyone from using them because the people who lurk here are likely the same ones who won't put in the time to find out if using From Japan is a good idea by, you know, being active participants in this community and keeping up on threads like this one. So while they're waiting to receive their cancellation notices for TWE items, the rest of us are going through other sources. ;)

HA... good point :friends:

5 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Those are all just symptoms of a deeper rot, one that starts at the top, with Bandai. 

So true. So true. Sucks.

12 hours ago, jvmacross said:

It's actually quite simple.....going forward...if you want info on the DX VF-1D....you will simply go to the DX VF-1D thread.....if you want info on the future DX VF-1J Max you will search in that thread......if you want info on the original DX VF-1J, VF-1A Max TV, VF-1S Hikaru, VF-1A DYRL Kakizaki, or VF-1S TV Focker....well, you will be ecstatic because it will not change....you will still have the pleasure to be fooked because you will need to find whatever you are looking for across the  700+ pages of the current DX VF-1 Mega Thread which will eventually die........like most other past releases of any Macross toy or collectible....the threads eventually get fewer and fewer posts because it no longer discusses the latest and greatest release....interest falls and fewer post for it get made....why keep the current DX VF-1 thread going with new releases?  Want to see it grow to 1400+ pages?  If kept separately, at least you know where to look and have way less pages to go through or perform a search on to find what you may be looking for....if nothing else...it keeps things in order and there is value in that alone...but seriously, regardless of how easy or not a search will be...there is no way to argue that searching across 30-50 pages (check older dedicated Macross product pages, they have never grown to be much larger than 50 pages) will not be better than searching through a 700+ page behemoth....and before anyone suggest to "archive" the current DX VF-1 Mega Thread and start a V 2.0.....why would you eventually want to go through potentially 1400+ pages of info?  That method only works for topics like "PIC" threads and random discussion threads like the "What anime are you watching?"....specific Macross toy threads naturally just die and do not balloon to an unusable/unsearchable size....eventually they disappear from memory waiting for years in complete solitude until someone randomly  necromances it back from the depths of purgatory for a brief foray with relevance....

This is the way....

Well the traditional way of dealing with megathreads is ....to lock it past nn number of pages, and then open a new megathread and name it part 2! :D:D

In this case, the nuclear option for mods is to lock this thread.

However as a twist, instead of generating another similar named part 2 thread, rename the new threads;
i.e. 1/48 Bandai DX VF-1J TV hikaru thread,  1/48 Bandai DX VF-1A Max thread, 1/48 Bandai DX VF-1A DYRL kakizaki thread and a VF-1S TV Roy thread.
Something to that effect.

Of course the VF-1J TV hikaru thread would be empty, since its old, but maybe the mods can subgroup it as 1J/1A/1S hikaru thread, that is go per pilot name.

This would effectively force megathreads to stop, and fully split the threads to respective identifier characteristics.

but am also ok with part 2, cos part of me loves megathreads! hahaha....it just shows how much history and love goes into it.

either way...i trust the mods to do whats best...

Edited by seti88

I'm a psychotic problem solver by nature. Lat night I was up thinking about the best alternative to what is going on right now within the constraints of the platform. I came up with something  as ideal as I think it can get. I don't think it would be a massive improvement over what we have going on now for regulars. But for the casual member it probably would be. It certainly would be different and it certainly would placate the "anti big thread" crowd. Which seems to be over 50% of the members. It would be a zillion times easier to search, that's for sure.

Here is the thing. It would take a big organization/framework move by the PTB. @Shawnif you're very interested in making a BIG move (that would potentially help more than just DX VF-1's) I don't mind sitting down and generating the outline for the changes. I'm not asking for a guarantee that it is implemented. but if you're not that into it, I'm not going to spend my much needed and valuable time creating this new framework. Let me know if you are willing and interested in making a big change and I'll get it done. If you're not, I understand completely. You're probably as busy as I am.:good:

Edited by sqidd

37 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm a psychotic problem solver by nature. Lat night I was up thinking about the best alternative to what is going on right now within the constraints of the platform. I came up with something  as ideal as I think it can get. I don't think it would be a massive improvement over what we have going on now for regulars. But for the casual member it probably would be. It certainly would be different and it certainly would placate the "anti big thread" crowd. Which seems to be over 50% of the members. It would be a zillion times easier to search, that's for sure.

Here is the thing. It would take a big organization/framework move by the PTB. @Sean if you're very interested in making a BIG move (that would potentially help more than just DX VF-1's) I don't mind sitting down and generating the outline for the changes. I'm not asking for a guarantee that it is implemented. but if you're not that into it, I'm not going to spend my much needed and valuable time creating this new framework. Let me know if you are willing and interested in making a big change and I'll get it done. If you're not, I understand completely. You're probably as busy as I am.:good:

You meant @Shawn

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

You must be one of them "psychotic problem solvers"...

Too bad you went and solved the first problem, I was really looking forward to hearing back from "Sean"! :lol:

I never said I could spell.:p

To throw this out there, I’ve been using a very reliable and nice individual I was introduced to via a Facebook Macross group. He has been nothing short of awesome with sourcing these for me. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM and I’ll share his contact info.

For reference, his 1D price is $270. I’ve gotten all my figures and accessories thru him. He did mention he is a member here as well but not so active  and I forgot his username. I met up with him the other weekend to grab Roy and my TV SSP.

Edited by canklebreaker

Hi guys, my super parts got refunded from Nippon-Yassan as credit... Then I kinda abandon the project, but then realized that I really want it and need it!

anyone knows where I can get super parts for decent price?

or can anyone can hook me up with one of his extras?

Thank you

Edited by Lockdown

28 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Does anyone know VMBTFS?

Is this site legitimate?

Surely looks fishy to me!

https://www.vmbtfsas.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=243813

I wouldn't trust purchasing anything on that site with lots of red flags. Steer clear.

- Random Site name

- Generic website/store front

- Random Popular Links

- Social Presence buttons are just links to the various websites

- Sells everything

- Ridiculously low prices on collectibles that are long out of stock and were TWE items.

Edited by Grey728