Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

11 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Same here, just got them today, thanks again @Anasazi37 for making these available and at very reasonable prices too. Much appreciated! 

Happy to hear that the sets I shipped out last week are starting to arrive. I was worried that they'd get stuck in the USPS holiday package backlog, but I guess the envelopes are small enough and flat enough to make it through quickly.

I've aimed to keep prices as low as possible over the years, essentially covering the cost of the increasingly-difficult-to-source ink for my dry resin printer, paper, protective coating, packaging, and shipping. It's definitely not a business for me, or I'd be out of business!

Most folks here know that I "retired" from making decals many years ago, in order to focus on my own massive backlog of Macross projects (and because work keeps me insanely busy), but I do occasionally come out of retirement to right the wrongs of manufacturers like Bandai and Plamax, when they make bad decisions with respect to markings for our very expensive collectibles. :D

11 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Happy to hear that the sets I shipped out last week are starting to arrive. I was worried that they'd get stuck in the USPS holiday package backlog, but I guess the envelopes are small enough and flat enough to make it through quickly.

I've aimed to keep prices as low as possible over the years, essentially covering the cost of the increasingly-difficult-to-source ink for my dry resin printer, paper, protective coating, packaging, and shipping. It's definitely not a business for me, or I'd be out of business!

Most folks here know that I "retired" from making decals many years ago, in order to focus on my own massive backlog of Macross projects (and because work keeps me insanely busy), but I do occasionally come out of retirement to right the wrongs of manufacturers like Bandai and Plamax, when they make bad decisions with respect to markings for our very expensive collectibles. :D

Got mine a couple days ago but didn't get to open it till today. Mini skulls and ejection seat warnings, oh my! :yahoo:We all appreciate your work! And I don't mind paying a little extra if it helps cover the cost of these awesome decals!

Really Bandai, would it have been that hard to tell your DX teams to look at a Hasegawa model and say "make the markings like that"? It's like buying a Honda and then finding out they forgot to install the H on it. :lol:

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Got mine a couple days ago but didn't get to open it till today. Mini skulls and ejection seat warnings, oh my! :yahoo:We all appreciate your work! And I don't mind paying a little extra if it helps cover the cost of these awesome decals!

Really Bandai, would it have been that hard to tell your DX teams to look at a Hasegawa model and say "make the markings like that"? It's like buying a Honda and then finding out they forgot to install the H on it. :lol:

:hi: I look forward to seeing your detailed Roy!

That's some classic Simpsons goodness. And you're right. All Bandai had to do was give their DX teams two simple instructions:

1. Look at the marking and painting guides for a few Hasegawa 1/72 or 1/48 kits
  2. Watch DYRL and some episodes of SDFM

That probably would have cut down on the excess tampo and ensured that key markings like ejection seat triangles and skulls were included.

I received my stickers on Saturday.  Thanks @Anasazi37.

I still need to open another VF-1S Roy to convert into one for Hikaru.  I don’t have a spare Yamato Hikaru pilot figure with space helmet so I’ll probably add paint details to my spare Yamato VF-22 Milia figure.

59 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I received my stickers on Saturday.  Thanks @Anasazi37.

I still need to open another VF-1S Roy to convert into one for Hikaru.  I don’t have a spare Yamato Hikaru pilot figure with space helmet so I’ll probably add paint details to my spare Yamato VF-22 Milia figure.

I picked up a set of @Xigfrid's DX pilots on Shapeways so I can make a Roy with space helmet:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G8D52LFAX/pilots-set-for-vf-1j-dx?optionId=91611789&li=shops

4 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Great gif.

I honestly hope Bandai will one day release a DX Hikaru VF-1S Fast Pack bundle. And possibly add either a standing Misa saluting him or one to sit on his lap.

Roy in Fast Packs isn’t enough.

i always wondered why Bandai doesn't include a space helmet pilot to go along with the TV 1:48's?, the YF-19 full set comes with a helmeted isamu and a non helmet isamu and you figure Bandai would do the same here and include both version pilots, one with space helmet and the other with regular helmet but they didn't <_<.........

Edited by ralliart209

18 minutes ago, BKPMacross said:

It is been a month now since I got my tracking number from Luna Park for a Roy DX.  They still have not shipped.  I am not sure they have one to send.  I will not be buying anything else from them.  Looks like the other folks here were successful, but not me.  

Did you email them about it,  what was their reply?

26 minutes ago, BKPMacross said:

It is been a month now since I got my tracking number from Luna Park for a Roy DX.  They still have not shipped.  I am not sure they have one to send.  I will not be buying anything else from them.  Looks like the other folks here were successful, but not me.  

Their webiste says they use EMS shipping, isnt EMS down right now?. You may have to contact them to see if you need to upgrade to different shipping option....

12 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Ok. So after looking at the Roy DX I will have to admit that the color is perfect.

This still has that silly dislocating swing bar and the high on the heatshield Jolly Rogers,but overall just like the releases before. It’s a great figure.

I politely beg to differ on the color. I like the color suggested by the Hasegawa model painting instructions that we did the DYRL Roy customs in, I would call it a “caution yellow” like an old road sign or construction equipment. I would call the DX TV Roy a “lemon yellow”, which isn’t bad but not as close to what we see on screen IMO. Here are the two side by side for comparison.9220E200-6277-41CD-8A09-C17265A59247.thumb.jpeg.37900615e687bc3cead72da77b20eb24.jpeg

1 hour ago, RedComet said:

I politely beg to differ on the color. I like the color suggested by the Hasegawa model painting instructions that we did the DYRL Roy customs in, I would call it a “caution yellow” like an old road sign or construction equipment. I would call the DX TV Roy a “lemon yellow”, which isn’t bad but not as close to what we see on screen IMO. Here are the two side by side for comparison.9220E200-6277-41CD-8A09-C17265A59247.thumb.jpeg.37900615e687bc3cead72da77b20eb24.jpeg

Me looking at RedComet's pic.....

giphy.thumb.gif.755de03424d93bb06d4260e1d691ba51.gif

Question for anyone who tried to order the VF-1D from From Japan, and got a cancellation.

How long did it take for the funds to return to you?  I got a receipt for a Paypal refund, but I haven't seen the funds reach my account yet.

I'm not too worried, because the actual charge only appeared on my account a couple of days ago, so looks like there's a delay, but I was wondering if anyone else saw this.

28 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Question for anyone who tried to order the VF-1D from From Japan, and got a cancellation.

How long did it take for the funds to return to you?  I got a receipt for a Paypal refund, but I haven't seen the funds reach my account yet.

I'm not too worried, because the actual charge only appeared on my account a couple of days ago, so looks like there's a delay, but I was wondering if anyone else saw this.

They refunded for me within 10 minutes from of the email from FromJapan with the Cancellation.  I got the email FromJapan at 12/24/2020 11:50pm PST and paypal said it got the refund on that same day.  

I charged through my credit card and got my refund earlier today (notification from my credit card).

Honestly, I don't see any point in paying through paypal. Credit cards have a better/longer claim policy, plus equivalent of better currency exchange fees. Plus you get the money all the way back.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Eh, it's mostly because I don't use a credit card for almost anything, since I prefer not having the temptation of buying things I can't pay for right at that moment (though there have been a few big exceptions).

Either way though, if you just got the refund today, that does sound like things are just running slow.  My account didn't even show the charge for From Japan until the 28th, when it was placed on the 23rd.  I have the receipt of the transaction with Paypal, so I have an easy route to trace it if it doesn't appear soon.

4 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

In my case I got a card w/o currency conversion fees years ago, so I do all my Yen buying with it. 3% savings adds up over a while. Especially when buying things that are like ¥25,000-¥30,000 shipped.

I generally use PayPal with my card (when only PayPal is accepted) and pass the currency conversion over to my card instead of PayPal.

15 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Great gif.

I honestly hope Bandai will one day release a DX Hikaru VF-1S Fast Pack bundle. And possibly add either a standing Misa saluting him or one to sit on his lap.

Roy in Fast Packs isn’t enough.

I like this one too.

FE2034A0-3DEE-4490-9355-B3D7D634A86D.thumb.gif.30900f30763ca8c756b3457ad636d1f7.gif

4 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I generally use PayPal with my card (when only PayPal is accepted) and pass the currency conversion over to my card instead of PayPal.

This is the way to go. Double protection! It doesn’t work with some cards (like Discover) but should be good with any MC or VISA.  

21 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I picked up a set of @Xigfrid's DX pilots on Shapeways so I can make a Roy with space helmet:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G8D52LFAX/pilots-set-for-vf-1j-dx?optionId=91611789&li=shops

Hi @Anasazi37, do you have the set on hand yet? If so how does it compare to Bandai DX pilot figures in terms of sculpt and quality. Since the product photo on Shapeways is a 3d image not an actual printed model, it is rather difficult to get a sense of the product. Thinking to get a set for converting Roy into tv Hikaru, thanks!

49 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

Hi @Anasazi37, do you have the set on hand yet? If so how does it compare to Bandai DX pilot figures in terms of sculpt and quality. Since the product photo on Shapeways is a 3d image not an actual printed model, it is rather difficult to get a sense of the product. Thinking to get a set for converting Roy into tv Hikaru, thanks!

I do have the set in hand. It's printed in fine detail plastic, which is clear, so it's hard to see the level of detail in a photo unless you paint everything or, as I just discovered, you hold it in front of a diffuse light source. The actual Roy figure is sitting lower in the second picture because the four pilots in the set are on a sprue that runs along their lower backs, which keeps them higher up.

(click on images to see full size)

20201231_144108.jpg

20201231_145254.jpg

Edited by Anasazi37

15 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Is there any point to having PayPal as an extra layer?

Never had any real issue doing chargebacks through my credit cards directly.

I use it for overseas transactions when I'm not sure if I can trust a site to safeguard my credit card information. Especially if it's the first time I'm using a site. Sure, my credit card company is hyper-vigilant about fraud protection, but I'd rather pay a little money up front to avoid spending a lot of time dealing with identity theft later.

2 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I do have the set in hand. It's printed in fine detail plastic, which is clear, so it's hard to see the level of detail in a photo unless you paint everything or, as I just discovered, you hold it in front of a diffuse light source. The actual Roy figure is sitting lower in the second picture because the four pilots in the set are on a sprue that runs along their lower backs, which keeps them higher up.

(click on images to see full size)

20201231_144108.jpg

20201231_145254.jpg

Ohhh those look pretty good. Whenever you get around to painting them up, I'd like to see how they look in the cockpit. :)

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Is there any point to having PayPal as an extra layer?

Never had any real issue doing chargebacks through my credit cards directly.

Not really but it doesn’t hurt. Main thing is it’s easier for me to check out/pay using PayPal at most sites. It’s all about whatever is easier/faster for me as long as I’m using my no foreign transaction fee credit card to pay in some way in the end.